Changing a 1995 motorbike to Spanish plates

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
george110765
Tourist

Changing a 1995 motorbike to Spanish plates

Postby george110765 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am

Hi, I have brought my lovely 1995 BMW R1100GS motorbike over to replace an old 1984 R65 bwm
which was sold on to an English surfer in Tariffa. I had done all the transfer work with the old bike many years ago without any problem, but I wanted to find out if anyone has done it more recently and knows the new the ins and outs of the change of number plates , as I think it falls foul of the new 2010 law for HOMOGOLACION. I am considering getting a gestor to do the transfer as if I put a foot wrong I will have to drive it back to the UK ,although the local Gestors look fairly dodgy too.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing a 1995 motorbike to Spanish plates

Postby mhic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm about to do the same thing with a 95' Yamaha, I've had two people recommended to do the job no mention of any problems but not cheap. If your in my area I'd be happy to pss their details on to you.

Mhic.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey that would be great!!!
I am getting stessed just thinking about it as I know how black and white
a Spanish ITV place can be.

Perhaps you could send the details to me, and I could give them a ring, if nothing else they might give me
some sound advice, I am in el puerto de santa maria, so malaga isn't too far away and a nice trip out of town wouldn't be a problem certiainly closer than England, where I once went back for an MOT with the old R65!!! many years ago, anyhow summer holidays are due soon too...

I have heard that if it ain't right and you have to get a lab to go over and "homologate" or whatever
the bike and it could cost many hundreds or thousands of euros!!!

As far as I know a uk resident may bring their bike/car over if they are changing residence, as it were,
so a new residence paper and empadronmientro paper with a ficha reducida for change of residence, but I like some confirmation before popping down to ITV and them turning their noses up.

if anyone else knows anything about this I would be grateful too.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:03 am

george110765 wrote:

As far as I know a uk resident may bring their bike/car over if they are changing residence, as it were,
That's only relevant if you want to avoid paying the matriculation tax. In your case the tax would be less than the cost of the extra paperwork required from the UK Embassy to prove your change of residency.

Sid

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 am

George, I've PMd you.
Mhic.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the details I will give them a call although 700 euros seems a bit high unless
we are talking about doing the full homologacion lab report ?

when I did my last bike as it was over 12 years old at the time, the taxes were around a hundred euros or so
I recall it was the bottom class and the other paperwork around the same again with itv and all and then the plates had to be made and paid for too.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm

"That's only relevant if you want to avoid paying the matriculation tax. In your case the tax would be less than the cost of the extra paperwork required from the UK Embassy to prove your change of residency."

It is not really a question of tax, as you mention it probably isn't much at all with an older vehicle.
The problem that has been mentioned to me by the guy at the ficha reducida dot com place is that without a Homologacion number the vehicle cannot be imported into Spain at all!!!

Unless you are bringing it as a personal possession and moving to spain.

I am not sure how that works though. But I am being told that a Spanish national could not have this bike
re-registered here...

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:34 pm

George.
It seem's a lot to me as well but the engineer charges €100 and the gestor wants 2 or 3 hundred then there's tax traffico plates and road tax, I don't have the patience or the Spanish to do it myself.

Mhic.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi George110567

I'm not far from you in Chiclana and rematriculated a bike last year. PM me with your email address and I'll send you the costs and procedures we use.

If you want to do everything yourself then I am always only a phone call away

Davexf

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Go here;
http://www.eurococ.eu/en/?gclid=CKnBnKv ... fAodRTZs5g

Put in details will get you this.
https://www.eurococ.eu/coc.php?action=o ... 6&newobj=1

209€ for 'certificate of conformity' . Which is what you are talking about with 'homologation'.

It is possible that they are obtainable from the ITV stations. Here in Lorca they offer them .
Todos somos Lorca.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 pm

"209€ for certificate of conformity "

thanks for those links Gus.

Sounds a bit more like it ...I will do some ringing round and check with my ITV stations too, Puerto real or Jerez although I prefer Puerto real, just seem more with it, never had any jobs worths yet. 10 years of ITVs

If they do the certificate there too then that's no problem, I really don't mind paying a little "extra tax" to get it all sorted but wouldn't like to be stuck with a non-registerable bike or months of paper work or massive bills for HOMOLOGACION whatever thats supposed to be.

But I am still not sure they would have one for this age or model of bike...
Last edited by george110765 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 pm

" I don't have the patience or the Spanish to do it myself "

Yes that's a major problem luckily I do have both and have gotten used to things here, So long as you have two or three days for what should take a morning in the uk, although I am often surprised and some times things flow very smoothly.

However at times they don't... that is why I am fairly keen to do things right, as if one comes up against a new Spanish law or Jobs worth, you've had it! no amount of reasoning or logic will get you anywhere. Unless you know someone who knows someone. then its usually better to walk away and cut the losses.

I will ask the local gestor here and get back to you, as a couple of hundred seems a lot !
my brother just bought a second hand car and it cost him 50 euros to have the paper work done, and honestly it wasn't much more work to do the transfer on my old BMW than do a compra-venta.
just one more office perhaps.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Just to add my Gestor local will do the transfer from uk to Spanish plates for 80 euros.
asked them today. Although still not clear what paperwork etc is required.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Finally seen an engineer,
Looks like this bike cannot be registered in Spain as it is infact before Homologatio or CE numbers!

although it appears to have a CE label of some sort on the head stock.

So it will have to go back to UK, unless I can prove I have just come here to live this month!

Any help or suggestions appreciated...

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi - I am interested in this thread as I am considering matriculating, if possible, a Honda 250 I bought new in 1981. It needs a couple of repairs before I set off to the ITV and get the necessary docs sorted out, so I have got no further than asking around as yet. I have been told by our local ITV officers that as it is an old vehicle, it is recognised that there will be no Certificate of Conformity available for that model (before 2001) so not worth applying for one, however that does not mean it cannot be re-immatriculated in Spain via the ITV etc - the ficha-reducida online advisors seem to agree that with a old vehicle the original UK documents showing the age of vehicle and the "placa de Caracteristicas" ie the Spec. plate is sufficient. Once you have a ficha reducida apparently the ITV is plain-sailing.
As I say, I have yet to test this ...
Good Luck
Gasman

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Gasman,
I am off to chipiona itv tomorrow to see what happens , but perhaps yours is old enough to be classic
1980 is more than 25 years old. Perhaps that makes a difference. the fichareducida.com engineer was great
and gave very good service 104 euros for the ficha reducida looks fine and loads of info too.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:54 am

How did you get on with the ITV George?

Mhic.

george110765
Tourist

Postby george110765 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 am

Update:
Finally after 2 months of paperwork the bike is Spanish...

For anyone else who has a bike which falls between the older classics and a more modern "homologado"
bike, which has a certificate of conformity, I will briefly explain the process.

1) get the ficha technica/ficha reducida. internet one worked fine for me cheaper and better service as mentioned in an erlier post. fichasreducia.com

2) get an ITV. should be easy but it will cost around 170 euros. They told me I should get the paperwork sorted first because perhaps I could not import the bike without a certificate of conformity. But you need the ITV for the paperwork so... I expect you might be able to do hacienda or the tax office first but I would suggest getting the ITV just in case they found that the bike was too long or too short or too wide or the wrong shade of red or some such...

3) get an residence if you did not have one ( in fact you probably need to do this first)

4) go to MALAGA ( or other nearby british consulate) where you decalre on the bible or koran or tora that you have moved from England to Spain to live (having previously lived in England for at least a year) another 160 euros or so.

5) go to your ayuntamiento to pay "impuesto de circulacion" this will be around 50 euros for most bikes and jumps to 100 euros or so if over 1000cc in my town at least. Although you do not have a registration yet they do this on the ITV paperwork and chassis number.

6) now the tricky bit... go to your local hacienda... (it would be a good idea to go right at the start so they can tell you to SOD OFF but keep the ticket for the queue with time and date on it. or get them to make a note or sign something for you.

because ... when I finally presented all the paperwork residence, itv, baja consular, impuesto circulacion, etc... I was told that the two months time limit had expired!!!! well ,I explained calmly, it takes two months to do all these stupid papers... in the end they saw the error of their ways and realised it was 60 working days which I was just within... hence keep the original ticket so you can show that you did infact try to present everything within 60 days if need be.
bye the way in hacienda you need not pay any tax as the import is non-homologado and as such can only be done as personal property having owned the bike for at least a year with proof of purchase reciepts etc and all original documents and being English. or at least not Spanish.

7) If you manage to get past hacienda and have things stamped, your done... well go to TRAFFICO here it is CADIZ you then present all the documents along with another 90 euros and a couple of days later you get the new registration.

Like I say it takes two bloody months as a fluent spanish speaker and doing it again I would ensure the bike had the COC Certificate of Conformity. So you pay tax in hacienda but don't have to import it as a change of residence. would cost about the same around 500 euros in all.

Of course as soon as this was all sorted the bike exploded... it was to be expected too much stress had affected the poor old girl... and no TLC as I had been busy doing paper work all this time!!! one drive shaft later form the UK and shes back on the road awaiting an oil change to 20/50.

Hope this helps you if you are in the same position as me do contact me If you need any help
or via my personal site www.11500.net.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Two bloody months to import a bike ? FFS you would think they would want your money and not put red tape and an outdated system in your way. In Ireland it takes about ten minutes to do it. Then they relieve you of your cash 8) .

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

scotty wrote: In Ireland it takes about ten minutes to do it.
that's because they still allow any cr@p on to the road. Headlights are not checked to see if they are correctly aligned when dipped. too many american imports.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!