Motor Scooter Tuning

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
ajtg1952
Resident

Motor Scooter Tuning

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am

My 250 cc scooter is badly in need of tuning. I do most things on it myself but this is a bit beyond me.

Can anyone recommend a good bike mechanic in Velez Malaga or Torre del Mar, preferably someone who speaks a little english.

Thank you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Motor Scooter Tuning

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 am

Hi,

"My 250 cc scooter is badly in need of tuning. I do most things on it myself but this is a bit beyond me."

Not sure what you mean :oops:
Unless its a very old one.........modern ones have electronic ignition so you cant set the timing or Dwell.
The only thing is changing the Spark Plug.
Probably just needs a good blast on the open road to clear the cobwebs out :D

PS: make sure the brakes aren't binding......... :oops:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Motor Scooter Servicing

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am

OK, I probably used the wrong term; basically I think the carburetor needs serviced as it occasionally misfires and has is a bit hesitant at times when the throttle is opened quickly. I have changed the plug [correct gap] and the air filter. The bike is six years old.

So the same question applies.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am

word of warning three small original parts from the starting mechanism cost over €200 and the labour was on top.

Nothing in spain is cheap anymore!!!

On a tuning point, would you consider an after market exhaust??? does that give it much more HP????

ive got a 250cc and can only do 130kph max which is not great as my 125cc could do 120kph all day long.

a

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm

The symptoms suggest that air is getting in where it shouldn't - a gasket failure in the inlet tract, or a leaking exhaust seal, or even an oil seal in the crankcase. It is rarely a good idea to fit so-called tuning parts as they can shorten engine life and/or make the machine less tractable (a pig in traffic) as well of course as invalidating your insurance. If you want more speed or power, buy a bigger bike as it will have been built for the performance with uprated suspension, brakes and so on!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I do not want to uprate the bike or add anything to it; all I want is someone reliable who can have a look at it and possibly clean the carburetor, nothing more. So do you know any reliable bike mechanics in Velez of Torre del Mar, please.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Steer clear of the place just past supersol as you head towards Caleta I had a bad experience using him
when we first came out here. There is a bike mechanic and accessory shop just as you come into Caleta though I don't know if it's any good. I'll ask my neighbours lad I know he has a friend who's a bike mechanic.

Mhic.

Colinm
Resident

Re: Motor Scooter Servicing

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:it occasionally misfires and has is a bit hesitant at times when the throttle is opened quickly.
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor. What make is the scooter? My suggestion would be the main dealer for the area as TPS problems for specific models are a known problem.

There is a place at the East end of Torre del Mar (is it joymoto?), but I have only heard poor reports of his 'work'. But let's start with make and model........
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am

peteroldracer wrote:The symptoms suggest that air is getting in where it shouldn't - a gasket failure in the inlet tract, or a leaking exhaust seal, or even an oil seal in the crankcase. It is rarely a good idea to fit so-called tuning parts as they can shorten engine life and/or make the machine less tractable (a pig in traffic) as well of course as invalidating your insurance. If you want more speed or power, buy a bigger bike as it will have been built for the performance with uprated suspension, brakes and so on!
No necesarily for scooters 125cc & 250cc are identical models, no one takes trade in so we are stuck with old bikes. i assumed an after market exhaust would help the engine and at will get rid of the gasses quicker.

I only wish to go a little faster and im thrashing the engine all the time.

cheers

a

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Acen, I know nothing about bikes but I'd have thought an aftermarket exhaust which I hear the kids talking about in Spain is more to do with making the machine annoyingly noisy as opposed to any performance gain.

What does a 125 scooter put out?........15bhp?.............so to gain 1.5bhp you'd need to up the power level by a whole 10% :shock:.............could an exhaust swap achieve that without any mods to the inlet side of things?........I can't see it but stand to be corrected.

You can spend an absolute fortune on a bespoke, equal length balanced exhaust for a powerfull two hundred and plenty bhp competition engine, and I think you'd be happy to see a 1% gain without further mods.

That's my thoughts anyway to your question.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 am

fair point, on a related point i was speak to a neighbour and mentioned 10 years ago all the kid had bikes.

you could not move without some nipper on a bike almost knocking you over.

10 years later we are knee deep in crisis and there are hardly no scooters about. I know its now 16 years for a 50cc but the number of teenagers with transport has noticably reduced.

Have anyone noticed how slow people drive now as well. People actually do travel at 80 kmp.!!!!

at this rate we will be all riding donkeys by the end of the year :silent:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am

An after market exhaust will work well on a 50cc (two stroke) scooter, as their original systems are designed to strangle the power. An exhaust change and a set of clutch rollers will see a 50cc with a design speed of 50 kph doing 70 kph and beyond.

It doesn't work so well on 125/250 cc scooters as they tend to be four stroke two valve engines that just wont rev any higher and there is no way to get extra juice through the inlet valve, so power increase is negligible with aftermarket exhaust.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:50 am

I always preferred 2-strokes! I started racing on a BSA Bantam, which could only be tuned with strict adherence to a club formula. Despite the restrictions, my '45 mph runabout' was timed at Snetterton at 92 mph - and mine was by no means the fastest!
And before anyone comments, the frame was strengthened and the brakes uprated, as well as it being fitted with racing tyres - and we were all going the same way, with doctor and St John's Ambulance in attendance on a well-marshalled track.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

my race track in the commute to work!!!

only joking :lolno:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 pm

peteroldracer wrote: being fitted with racing tyres .
Aaah good old Dunlop KR83's :D now I need to get my fix of Castrol R30......mmmmm heaven! 8)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Avons old boy, Avons - well before the silly forced change to triangles! They stuck like sh*t to a blanket and when the let go it was in a controllable manner - no 'high-sides' ! :clap:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Cobos in Frigiliana repair bikes, scooters, you name it. The garage across the road is for cars.

When arriving in Frigiliana, take the by-pass (2nd left at the roundabout) and head along to the next roundabout. Turn left along Avenida Carlos Cano. At the end of the road, there is a branch in the road. The left fork takes you on the back road to Torrox pueblo. The right turn takes you back into Frigiliana. The garage is at the fork on the right-hand side.

I haven't used the motor bike repair shop but have used Cobos garage across the road. This one is for car repairs etc. The motor bike repairer gets a good name around here.
Dave

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

I have now identified that the problem lies within the carburetor so it needs to go into a repair garage.

I am thinking of using Moto Axarquia in Velez Malaga. I have bought a few parts from them. Does anyone know anything about them are far as their servicing side goes.

Thanks.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:58 pm

The scooter has been in Axarquia Moto's for 5 months and the problem has not been pin pointed far less fixed. I have now brought it home and I am getting desparate.

The scooter is a Daelim S2 250 and being Korean not many people deal with it. Lanzat used to be the mail dealers but no more.

I called into Juymoto because they seem to deal in bigger 4 stroke machines. They are just east of SuperSol on the way to Coleta from Torre del Mar and spoke to the owner. He has a Daelim in stock and seemed to be confident he could repair mine so I said I would load it on the trailer and drop it off on Monday. Then I remembered some adverse comments by mhic and colinm about this garage. Are either of you able to give me more details.

Mhic seemed to be more specific and said he had used this garage before. I have tried sending a PM but no reply yet.

Any more information on this garage would be very helpful.

Thanks.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 am

PM sent.
Mhic.