Tyre Puncture

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
robinhood

Tyre Puncture

Postby robinhood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi there, I have a Harley Davidson with a very slow puncture in the rear tyre, does anyone know of a company that injects foam or silicone into a tyre that will give a constant sealing effect until I can get the wheel/tyre off, no sign of nails or a leak at this stage. Ive got a tiny tin of silicone sealer that might do the job but I'm looking for a more permanant job in the Estepona area but will travel.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tyre Puncture

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am

A motorcycle has two contact patches with the road, each smaller than the palm of your hand. If you are prepared to risk the one of those that drives you along turning from a slow to a rapid puncture, when you could be at speed, maybe with a passenger, in traffic, possibly in the rain, by bodging a "fix" then you really should be barred from holding a licence on the grounds of stupidity.
Only my opinion, of course. :evil:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

I think all products for "inflate and seal" are just a very temporary measure. I've two cars that don't carry spares so have the Holts product in case of emergency. Just reading the blurb on one now its reccomending a maximum of 6 - 12 miles after application and a max. speed of 30mph.

As an aside, seeing as you can't find obvious damage on the tyre or any nails/tacks visible it may be the Schrader valve leaking, very common occurance.

Take the cap off and put a bit of spit on the opening (or very soapy water if you're sqeamish :D )........then see if an air bubble starts to form. The centre of the valve may be loose or have crud trapped on the seat.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I think all products for "inflate and seal" are just a very temporary measure. I've two cars that don't carry spares so have the Holts product in case of emergency. Just reading the blurb on one now its reccomending a maximum of 6 - 12 miles after application and a max. speed of 30mph.

As an aside, seeing as you can't find obvious damage on the tyre or any nails/tacks visible it may be the Schrader valve leaking, very common occurance.

Take the cap off and put a bit of spit on the opening (or very soapy water if you're sqeamish :D )........then see if an air bubble starts to form. The centre of the valve may be loose or have crud trapped on the seat.
Or to check the tyres themselves - ride the bike into a puddle or slow moving stream. Stop and check for air bubbles. Saves having to remove the wheels.
Graham

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Yamaha do a Tyre Sealant and Inflater in an aerosol. I'm sure other after market accessories do it also. did you try a 'real' bike shop and not a hog shop :lol:

It's perfectly safe and legal, made from latex.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:03 pm

I thought I had a slow puncture in a brand new Michelin, turned to be 17 years of crud on the rim stopping the tyre from seating properly. Might be worth checking.

Mhic.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Most biker sites say that these sealants are for treating brand new tyres before fitting them to reduce the risk of punctures, or are emergency "get you to a garage" measures.
To me, they indicate that the rider/owner cannot afford to maintain properly what is already a high-risk form of transport.
Maybe it would be acceptable on a Harley, as I only ever seem to see them poddling along at walking pace with a leather-clad gay posing for their imaginary fans! :P

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 pm

:thumbup: :clap: Well said! (naughty boy!).
Last edited by country boy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
Maybe it would be acceptable on a Harley, as I only ever seem to see them poddling along at walking pace with a leather-clad gay posing for their imaginary fans! :P
peteroldracer wrote:you really should be barred from holding a licence on the grounds of stupidity.
Only my opinion, of course. :evil:
:shock: Bit deep wasn't it. Either you don't like this new poster very much, or I've got it wrong and you know him in real life :?

He was only asking for advice on a tyre, not for lectures on his license and the type of people who ride Harleys :?

PS I don't ride a Harley :D ......in fact never had a bike in my life.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:49 pm

I expect POR eyes lit up when he saw a newbie had joined the forum, someone he could practice a bit of cyber bullying on. (We know better and just ignore the old scrote!) :lolno: I bet Robinhood is glad he joined now, the response has been better than he could ever have wished for.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:26 pm

I genuinely did not notice that the OP is a newbie - sorry, I should have been more gentle... :oops:
On the other hand, it doesn't matter who they are, I reserve the right not to be involved in a crash due to their irresponsibility!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Peter, 2 question, have you ever had an accident and if yes was it your fault??

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

2 answers - yes and no - in that order as asked (except racing lol).

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 pm

I thought the reply was both truthful and funny, no reason for anyone to take offence. Foam filling a tyre is an emergency 'get you home' fix, and Harley riders are funny (don't know about Gay...perhaps Peter knows something!).

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Robinhood, welcome to the forum from another biker and a possible neighbour of yours (El Paraiso). Try the bike shop in San Pedro, its up the street from McDonalds on the right hand side. Do you know where the leak is on the tyre ? If so consider getting it plugged. My daily driver in Ireland is aGS 1150 adventure and twice in five years Ive had nails removed and the tyre plugged. What Harley is it ? Does it have spoked wheels > If so a new tube will solve the issue. I've a Roadking Classic which I want to leave in Spain for a while but I need to sort insurance first. PM me your location.