Exchanging UK driving licence for Spanish licence

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Exchanging UK driving licence for Spanish licence

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 am

The subject of driving licences has been heavily covered but I wonder if someone could give a brief on how to do the exchange.

Mine was exchanged a couple of years ago and was done by our gestor. However, gestors are snowed under at the moment with yearly tax returns and the 720 assett declarations.

My OH still has a UK driving licence. The plastic bit expires in 3 years time but is looking at exchanging it now. My understanding is that she can exchange it now without having to have a medical. Is it a simple process? Is it a case of filling in the appropriate form and taking that, along with the appropriate fee, a couple of photographs and the paper and plastic paper UK licence to Trafico in Malaga? Any other paperwork required? Is there a link to download the application form?

Thanks
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Exchanging UK driving licence for Spanish licence

Postby El Cid » Fri May 31, 2013 7:31 am

It's pretty much as you described it but you may be asked for a medical although it is not a listed requirement. See this list http://goo.gl/W0zfe

You can download the form at http://goo.gl/JYyFN

There is also some info in the FAQ at http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... 42&t=27787

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks Cid. However, the link for the form doesn't work.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am

Got it now. Couple of extra spaces in the link. Copy and paste and removed the spaces and it worked. Thanks again.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 31, 2013 8:03 am

Sorry about that - I've fixed it now.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am

I've downloaded the form and am starting to fill it in. The bit I am not sure about is the part dealing with licence details. Has anyone filled one in and can give advice? The section are:

Clase del permiso...... What are they looking for here? Is it Full or Provisional or is a list of the various classes on the back of the plastic licence?

Fecha....... Date of issue or expiry of UK plastic card or date of issue or expiry of the various classes?

Numero....... What number? Is that the UK driver licence number?

Organismo o pais que lo expedio?...... Would that be DVLA Reino Unido or just Reino Unido?

Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 am

I would let them fill that in.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 am

El Cid wrote:I would let them fill that in.

Sid
If they will do that, rather than just show us the door, then an excellent idea. Thanks Sid.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 31, 2013 10:37 am

Campo Steve wrote: If they will do that, rather than just show us the door, then an excellent idea. Thanks Sid.
Rumour has it that at Malaga Trafico they are now quite helpful and organised. A friend recently had her license stolen and they sorted it out very quickly.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri May 31, 2013 11:18 am

I found them quite organised and helpful a couple of years ago when we went to get an International Driving Perrmit for a trip to New Zealand. Not been back since (daughter and family returned to UK so no need for another IDP.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 am

El Cid wrote:
Rumour has it that at Malaga Trafico they are now quite helpful and organised.
As ever, it is probably dependent on who is on duty on the day - when I changed mine a couple of years back there was one 'jobsworth' bloke, and a helpful bi-lingual young lady.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Went in today to Trafico in Malaga to arrange the change of my wife's driving licence from UK to Spanish.

I had learnt lessons from the past and took copies of everything. They needed copies of the UK driving licence, (plastic and paper), passport and residencia. Originals given back, including the UK driving licence.

Once DVLA get back to them we will get a call or email to take a medical certificate in and then the licence will be issued. We queried the medical but she said we were going to need one for the UK licence if we weren't changing. She is going to check on that.

The lady that dealt with us was very helpful, and spoke perfect English. Apparently she learned it in Dublin which made for an interesting accent, to the extent that my wife thought she was German!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:33 pm

[quote="Campo Steve"
The lady that dealt with us was very helpful, and spoke perfect English. Apparently she learned it in Dublin which made for an interesting accent, to the extent that my wife thought she was German![/quote]

Reminds me of a bloke I bought a trailer off a few weeks back. On the phone 2/3 times & i was convinced he was from the Durham area. Turned out he was Belgian & was married to a Scotswoman! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am

Just three days after going in to DGT my wife received an email saying that the licence was now ready to be processed and we were to go in and hand over the original UK licence and a medical certificate. On the subject of the medical certificate, as the UK licence still had 3 years to run, if we opted for a 3 year Spanish licence then no medical required. A ten year licence would have needed a medical now. Opted for the 3 years, knowing that in 3 years time she will need a medical to renew the licence but too much going on at the moment to fit in a medical.

Left after just 5 minutes with a paper temporary licence, didn't have to queue as we were taken straight away and told plastic licence will be posted to her.

Anyone any idea how long it takes for the plastic licences to be sent out? A few years ago they sent me a corrected licence within a week (they had missed off my bike licence). Our gestor thought that must have been a record then.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Ive seen a letter in the expat press by a guy who writes books about driving in spain and hes saying that if you drive a spanish car registared to you and you are a resident then you should have a spanish licence. is this an actual law? as it kinda contridicts the two year rule and uk plated cars are only allowed to be driven for six months anyway. we will be changing our licences but werent in a hurry as we thought we had a two year grace period

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm

elusive wrote:Ive seen a letter in the expat press by a guy who writes books about driving in spain and hes saying that if you drive a spanish car registared to you and you are a resident then you should have a spanish licence. is this an actual law? as it kinda contridicts the two year rule and uk plated cars are only allowed to be driven for six months anyway. we will be changing our licences but werent in a hurry as we thought we had a two year grace period

You "should" have a Spanish licence, but you don't have to, so long as you renew it in line with Spanish law (regarding validity periods) and have a medical.

The two year rule does not apply to UK licences as they have a finite expiry date. It only applies to those licenses which do not expire. There are a few EU countries where this applies.

If still street legal in Spain, UK reg cars can stay until they cease to be legal (MOT, tax etc) but they cannot be driven for more than 6 months in a calendar year as if they were, the owner would, by definition, be tax resident and residents are not allowed to drive foreign plated cars.

The "received wisdom" in both cases, assuming you intend to stay, is to get a Spanish licence and register your car as soon as possible.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks alot cid. We will certainly look to get it done soon. thats the last thing that needs doing

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Sid, I don't think there's any EU countries without an expiry date now as they had to comply by january 2013. The German 'until death' licence is now 15 years for new ones & the Norwegian ' until aged 100' :lol: now has an expiry date as well . & they are only in the EEa !
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Yes I know they have all changed the rules on NEW licences but I think they have not withdrawn any existing undated licenses.They are the ones that the 2 year rule applies to.

It's the same in the UK where there are still some paper licences around (where the holders have not been forced to change to the 10 year photo licence) that do not have to be renewed until age 70 but as these do have a finite date on them they are OK and can be used in Spain so long as they are exchanged after 10 years to comply with the new expiry dates on Spanish licences - ie valid for 10 years until 70 and then every 5 years.

It's no surprise that there is a lot of confusion about this and there have been many inaccurate articles published in the expat press which doesn't help!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Whats a certificate of entitlement. i asked dvla and they said its upto the spanish if they ask for one or not
some sites talk about needing one to change your licence