What's a Trolley Jack?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Trooperman
Resident

What's a Trolley Jack?

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm

The subject says it all really, what is the translation, please, of a trolley jack in Spanish....and the next question is, I suppose, where would I be likely to get one.....Ronda area, that is.

I suppose it's too optimistic to think that there would be one for about 20 quid as there is on Amazon.co.uk.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: What's a Trolley Jack?

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Gato Hidraulico

Amazon Spain have loads

http://goo.gl/JtZdze

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 pm

if you just want a small handy one they sometimes have them in Lidl, i got a 2 ton a couple of years ago and its fine.
however if trooperman is going working on his missile launcher he will need something bigger..

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks....I've got 12 gatos already! :lolno: We're known as the "cat people" and have "rescued" many since moving here. So 1 more will be quite OK :thumbup:

No rocket launchers, just my very heavy Discovery to lift and will be far more useful than the small bottle jack that's part of the original equipment. Amazon.es here I come :wave:
nil illegitimum carborundum

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Some friends in Marbella had a ginger tom called "Jack". It was only as my Spanish improved that I realised it was not his name, merely a description!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Trooperman wrote:just my very heavy Discovery to lift and will be far more useful than the small bottle jack that's part of the original equipment.
If you have never used a trolley jack, beware. The are designed to be used on hard, level surfaces.

I recently had my Discovery jacked up and without a back wheel for several days. Because I have a gravel yard I use a builders board to support the jack. I use the standard bottle jack to raise the wheel and have it as close to the wheel as possible,then my trolley jack, slightly more inboard as a back up, but all the lift is with the bottle jack.

Because it had been on the jacks for a few days, when I released the bottle jack only the second stage came down; the first stage was seized. So I raised it, higher with the bottle jack, then raised the trolley jack, released the bottle and removed it. When I released the trolley jack, because the builders board did not let it roll freely, it forced the vehicle forward a touch then came off the axle; with a bang. Fortunately the wheel was back on so no harm done.

But because of the way small trolley jacks work and the small lifting plate, I have always been nervous of them on their own. The big ones that garages use are a completely different kettle of fish. I use my small Silverline trolley jack to jack up my trailer and backup for the Discovery.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I use a 4 ton heavy duty trolley jack but still use axle stands as a safety measure. I've had a jack fail on me before. Please be careful
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:08 pm

If you are going to use the trolly jack on a 4x4, which by nature have a greater ground clearance, buy a larger one than the Lidl offering. It is not physically large enough to raise the vehilce off a single wheel completely, for standard cars though it's fine.

If you are working under the car it is VERY poor/dangerous practice to put your trust in bottle/scissor or trolly jacks. Axle stands are an essential, minimal precaution along with chocing the remaining wheels that are on the ground.

Ideally you should use ramps and chocs. Although I have never seen ramps for sale here in Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:20 pm

ebbnflow wrote:. Although I have never seen ramps for sale here in Spain.
Amazon.es: http://www.amazon.es/Draper-23302-Rampa ... line+ramps

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Peter's link.............in full......... :D

http://www.amazon.es/Draper-23302-Rampa ... aper+23302
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey enrique - I can be helpful, but like to give folk the involvement of having to finish the search for themselves....too many years as an instructor! lol

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Trolley
n A small table on casters used for carrying food
A wheeled cart or stand used fo moving heavy items, such as shopping in a supermarket or luggage at a railway station
A device,such as a wheel that collects the current from an overhead wire,to drive the moter of an electric vehicle
A low truck running on rails,used in mines,factories, etc

Hope this helps

Jack
:thumbup: