Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi All,

I hope i am posting in the right place for advice on bringing a UK car to Spain permanently I am asking for mate and his missus. I DID try and understand some the previous four pages but started to get confused by the terminology used by those who know what they are talking about LOL!

Sadly he lost his Dad recently rather unexpectedly and after the funeral last week his Missus mentioned about his Dad's car and having at their place in Nueva Andalucia as his Dad had spent quite a bit of time down there over the last few years and had even played with the local bowls club (if you know it, near Aloha Golf).

She said it be would a nice reminder of him and the happy days he'd spent there. The idea is for them to use it when they are down there and friends/family he lets stay at his place. He only goes down to his place for a 3 week stay and then perhaps half a dozen long weekends a year so has always hired.

His Missus has said other than the legacy of his Dad's car living on in Spain, it would great just to get a cab to their place and use the car whilst there and let family/friends too. He's not so bothered mainly because of the effort of getting the car down there, which is where i come in! "Ian would love a road trip wouldn't you" and the truth is i would :-)

So in the most basic English Layman's terms could you kindly give me the overview of what is required for the car to be legal there in Spain for them and friends/family use? Secondly assuming the process etc is relatively easy to achieve (cost not too much of an issue as he's not short of a bob) what people would recommend in terms of relocating from North Hampshire/Surrey boarder. Pompey to Santander/Bilbao or drive down through France and into Spain? i.e. Pros and cons of proper road trip over a few days or 10 hours down from north Spain?

Some helpful information....

The car is a 59 plate (2009) Ford Fiesta (assume 1.25 or 1.4, i've never paid that close attention)
Assume that it is up to date on MOT
That once everything is settled probate wise my mate will be the legal owner (only living child)
Whilst in Spain it will be parked in one of his two underground parking spaces that belong to his Penthouse that he owns. (Gated urbanization with 24 hour security)

His other main concern other than getting down there was the battery being flat each time he goes, which i said wouldn't be an issue given climate/storage conditions as long as each user takes it out for a 50K round trip whilst there which shouldn't be a biggy as most people go to usual haunts such as Ronda and or Gib..... A dust cover would be a bigger concern LOL.

So hopefully i have given you enough info for you to educate rather than bamboozle me?

Any advice will be gratefully received and passed on, thanks in advance.

User avatar
Enrique
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 8354
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 am
Location: Camberley/Alcala La Real

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:06 pm

HI CTID Hants,
I'll kick this one off..............
Car will need to go onto Spanish Plates..........and DVLA informed that it has been Exported.
The Headlights will need to be changed for LH drive ones, the rear light clusters maybe ,depending if only one reversing light and fog light.
Best to get a Gestor who specializes in Transfers to handle the paper work, you could get a quote even before bringing it over.
They may find it less than user friendly if its located in a busy road area.
As for the battery it will be ok , I leave mine at both ends for long periods and they always start. If you're that concerned with Battery ,a charger like Accumate Smart Charger will keep the battery up to spec.

As for the trip down..........
Portsmouth to Santander is a good trip.........then depending on the time of arrival a 3hr drive to Lerma stopping at Hotel Alisa, then 7 -9 hrs the following day to the south.
I would suggest the user in Spain will not need to take it for a 50k trip when over ..........there wouldn't be much time for anything else.... :D
Only stop at service stations you can see from the Motorway otherwise you could end up driving off to a distant village or industrial estate.

For you = they in above... as you're asking for a friend............. 8)
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

User avatar
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Los Alcázares, Murcia

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:09 pm

"each user takes it out for a 50K round trip "
Assume you mean 50km......
The saddest people are those that cannot laugh at themselves

scotty
Resident
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:07 am
Location: Dublin / San pedro de Alcantara.

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby scotty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:44 am

Sounds like a lot of effort to have a car there with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

User avatar
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Los Alcázares, Murcia

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:12 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The annual insurance and road tax, ITVs and service will more than pay for a high-grade rental, with decent aircon and some nice gadgets, and who will take care of all those things taking time out of what should be a holiday?
The saddest people are those that cannot laugh at themselves

User avatar
Enrique
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 8354
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 am
Location: Camberley/Alcala La Real

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am

Good morning,

More thoughts.........

"friends/family "...........use, will possible need to be over 25 to drive car on your Friends Spanish insurance.............. :?:
Just going on the Policy I have.

Getting to and from Airport before you get access to the car......... :thumbdown:

As Peter points out from a financial angle its best to Hire.
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Enrique wrote:HI CTID Hants,
I'll kick this one off..............
Car will need to go onto Spanish Plates..........and DVLA informed that it has been Exported.
The Headlights will need to be changed for LH drive ones, the rear light clusters maybe ,depending if only one reversing light and fog light.


A quick Google takes me to Ebay where headlights can be had for about £250, not sure on rear lights at this stage as the car is in his Dad's garage.

Enrique wrote:Best to get a Gestor who specializes in Transfers to handle the paper work, you could get a quote even before bringing it over.
Again a quick Google and there is an English speaking Gestor at Mijas which is not a million miles away but fairly sure there would in Marbella with a bit more of a search


Enrique wrote:They may find it less than user friendly if its located in a busy road area.

As for the battery it will be ok , I leave mine at both ends for long periods and they always start. If you're that concerned with Battery ,a charger like Accumate Smart Charger will keep the battery up to spec.
Access to the Gated parking is off a normal road with good visibility so not an issue & glad you agree the battery wouldn't be an issue.

Enrique wrote:As for the trip down..........
Portsmouth to Santander is a good trip.........then depending on the time of arrival a 3hr drive to Lerma stopping at Hotel Alisa, then 7 -9 hrs the following day to the south.
Sounds like a plan and looks nice place. I'm hoping that there is a ring road around Madrid & fairly straight forward?


Enrique wrote:I would suggest the user in Spain will not need to take it for a 50k trip when over ..........there wouldn't be much time for anything else.... :D
Only stop at service stations you can see from the Motorway otherwise you could end up driving off to a distant village or industrial estate.

For you = they in above... as you're asking for a friend............. 8)


Ha ha yes should have read KM! Good advice on the fuel stops Thanks

Yeah, the classic "asking for a friend" but on this occasion it happens to be true LOL

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 pm

peteroldracer wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The annual insurance and road tax, ITVs and service will more than pay for a high-grade rental, with decent aircon and some nice gadgets, and who will take care of all those things taking time out of what should be a holiday?


WOW how much is car insurance out there?? Tax from what i understand is about €120 a year and ITV (from what i've read) €35 every two years until car is over 10yrs?

So other than initial costs of transferring, annual costs shouldn't be that much? I pay just shy of £200 on my Saab 1.9TDI here in blighty......

Last July/August when we hired a Seat ibiza for 16 days it cost about €370 iirc?

So if he's hiring 6 long weekends and a 3 week stay that'll probably be more than having the car there?

He goes down on his own every Feb to the urbanization AGM so i reckon an extra day wouldn't be a ball ache to him (he owns his own business so time off wouldn't be an issue)

User avatar
Enrique
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 8354
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 am
Location: Camberley/Alcala La Real

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi CTID Hants,
The route from Santander south.............with stop over at Lerma
A-67 Signed Palencia
A-231 Burgos............... :!: :!: Warning if you arrive at this junction when the sun is setting, the reflection on windscreen will obscure vision on the slip road , on my last trip down someone had gone off onto the Armco. :!: :!:
A-1 Madrid
some 30km out from Madrid M-50 its a ring road
Either A-4 or R-4 (Toll road) Córdoba

If you're doing a blast down the stay on A-67 -> A-6->AP-6 (Toll) and arrive on the West side of Madrid and then R-4 south

Then it will depend on where you heading..........If you're over to the West then maybe stick on A-67 and work a route out.
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Enrique wrote:Good morning,

More thoughts.........

"friends/family "...........use, will possible need to be over 25 to drive car on your Friends Spanish insurance.............. :?:
Just going on the Policy I have.

Getting to and from Airport before you get access to the car......... :thumbdown:

As Peter points out from a financial angle its best to Hire.


Thanks again Enrique

All drivers would be over 25 so no worries there, the youngest being his Niece who is now 28-ish

To & from the airport is one of the things his missus listed as a benefit from their perspective i.e no messing with hire car especially as they have a 2yr old, she'd prefer just to jump in cab for €50 (e/w) and the added bonus of my mate not fannying around when its time to come home if the cab is waiting.

He's a total nightmare time keeping in general and worse when travelling and I've lost count of how many flights he's missed in the 30 odd years I've know him LOL including one with me!!!! I swear he sees it as a challenge to see how close he can cut it!

User avatar
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Los Alcázares, Murcia

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

And of course he will have to keep track of any speeding or other traffic fines (which if are unpaid can mount up and up..) and any "whoops I scraped it on a gate post but it is only an old banger so I shall say nowt" users!
The saddest people are those that cannot laugh at themselves

User avatar
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 3472
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Axarquia coast

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 am

We look after our friend's car (a Spanish one) which is only used very occasionally by family when they are at their campo house here. We take it our every 5-6 weeks otherwise the battery goes flat, and we check the tyres etc and also take it for its ITVs, servicing and any repairs necessary. Their insurance is over 400€ a year although the tax (different for different areas) is only 43€ a year (1.4 diesel). The younger members of the family get here by bus and we leave it by the main bus stop on the Costa for them to pick up as they have a spare key, and we collect it when they leave. Older members of the family require collecting from the airport which we do, although if it's an unsocial hour we sometimes leave the car at the airport car park and text them the details of where it is so they can collect it from there. Must say it is a palava and expense for the family, and they can only really use the car like this because we look after it all for them. (It is usually kept secure in a garage at their house when not in use)

Look at other threads on here about cheap car hire. I'm sure people have said they have paid very little for car hire (via Firefly?) which my friends does and he often only pays 50 euros for a week's hire, or something like that.

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:19 pm

peteroldracer wrote:And of course he will have to keep track of any speeding or other traffic fines (which if are unpaid can mount up and up..) and any "whoops I scraped it on a gate post but it is only an old banger so I shall say nowt" users!



Fair points but as I said earlier, he only let's a select few friends and and family use his place. His two niece's, his in laws who won't drive abroad, me and maybe 2 other very long standing friends. So fines are doubtful but if issued the culprit will cough up. He has an arrangement with the El Presidente (Dave) of the urbanization that if anything arrives in the post that looks more than just a bill/statement he let's him know and if needs be opens the letter and emails him a copy.

As for dinks/scratches, he's possibly the worst of any! One of the first questions I ask everytime he arrives back is, what damage he's inflicted on the hire car! He followed me out of a hotel car park in Granada about 8yrs back, all he had to do was follow yet still managed to impale the underside of his car on a low bollard!!!!

The only inconvenience I can think of is ticket barriers in car parks. Overtaking/blind spots...... but none of us are boy racers and in holiday mode anyway in no hurry to go anywhere...

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Location: Farnborough in the flesh, Spain in my mind

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Wicksey wrote:We look after our friend's car (a Spanish one) which is only used very occasionally by family when they are at their campo house here. We take it our every 5-6 weeks otherwise the battery goes flat, and we check the tyres etc and also take it for its ITVs, servicing and any repairs necessary. Their insurance is over 400€ a year although the tax (different for different areas) is only 43€ a year (1.4 diesel). The younger members of the family get here by bus and we leave it by the main bus stop on the Costa for them to pick up as they have a spare key, and we collect it when they leave. Older members of the family require collecting from the airport which we do, although if it's an unsocial hour we sometimes leave the car at the airport car park and text them the details of where it is so they can collect it from there. Must say it is a palava and expense for the family, and they can only really use the car like this because we look after it all for them. (It is usually kept secure in a garage at their house when not in use)

Look at other threads on here about cheap car hire. I'm sure people have said they have paid very little for car hire (via Firefly?) which my friends does and he often only pays 50 euros for a week's hire, or something like that.


I hope your friends get beers in when they are in town LOL

The main reason in considering this is because the car belonged to his recently passed Dad, who was stationed in Gibraltar for quite a few years and he'd spent a fair bit of time in recent years at my mates place in marbella. It's more sentimental than anything as he doesn't need the car and his missus thinks it would be a nice touch having the car there rather than seeing it. His nieces (sadly his only living family now) are well set here so the only option other than Spain is selling it. His missus is just helping him come to terms with losing his Dad so abruptly hence suggesting it so I thought I'd do some background work hence posting on here.

Gloops
Tourist
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:46 pm
Location: Malaga

Importing a British UK plated Motorcycle into Spain

Postby Gloops » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm

I am considering importing a classic motorcycle into Spain from the UK. Has anyone done this recently and would share their experience with me?

I am Spanish resident. I don't want to buy a bike then find I don't have the necessary documentation to transfer to Spanish plates.

Thanks in anticipation.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 6583
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Bilbao Spain

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Insurance in Spain is quite a lot cheaper than in the UK although there might be a premium if it's a right hand drive. It is possible to have drivers under 25 years old but you will need to tell the insurance company meaning higher costs as well. Speak to either Linea Directa or Liberty, both offer policies in English and English speaking advisors.

From Bilbao/Santander to the South I prefer to go further south than Lerma and stay around Madrid, which more or less splits the journey in half.

User avatar
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 5372
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:38 pm
Location: Sierra Tejeda and England

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 am

markwilding wrote:Insurance in Spain is quite a lot cheaper than in the UK


I'm intrigued you think that Mark. From my yearly experience paying it it's not. Also a lot of people I know who live in Spain border on disbelieving me what I pay on cars here as opposed to over there.

I recently supplied a car to a chap in Andalucía, I had it insured here waiting for him to collect it, his premium in Spain nearly doubled what I had insured it for here.

I guess it pays to shop around though in all fairness.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.


Return to “Cars, Bikes & Motoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests