Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Importing a British UK plated Car into Spain

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Peter has the poor guy hung drawn and quartered without any evidence. MMMMM

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm

I have never liked posers..... :evil:
Just having the personal plate is enough lol.
As for the Mitsubishi SUV that has gone onto its second personal Brit plate in the last 2 years having never left the country.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Two different subjects Peter. Personal plates can be a bit of eyesore I'll admit but the vehicle you posted the registration details about online is bona fide 100% taxed and MOT'd and fully road legal in Europe.

As for the status of the owner I don't know and neither do you.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:MOT's have long since changed. You can't just buy a fake and show it to the insurers or police.

Everything is on the data base and fired through to DVLA when car finishes its test. Hence why the "certificate" you get is just a piece of white printed A4 paper for your records, easy to forge but pointless to do so.
Quite easy if you have a friend/relative with an mot centre. When I had a house sitter couple of years back they were proposing returning to the UK in march 2015 , having been out of UK since 2010. I repaired the Motorhome before they went . It had a current mot & was taxed until april 2015 ( still had a disc in 2014).Might have been to do with the sibling selling their garage/mot centre ? or am I suspicious . :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:20 am

Back in the late '60s, as a student, I worked for probably the least reputable taxi firm in Warrington. Worked on engines sometimes during the day, and drove at night. Shady outfit: the boss had his own pad of MoT certificates, and wrote his own. :eh:
Chris

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:22 am

peteroldracer wrote:With respect Enrique, one of the reasons that people who do not legalise their cars annoy some of those who do is that they do not pay their road tax here in Spain - and tend then to not take the car back to the UK for MoT testing, and let their UK road tax lapse.
What irritates me even more is the arrogant ones with personalised plates who just break the law rather than lose their precious status symbol - eg Ford Fiesta J444JEF that has been here for years - wonder if the driver is called Jeff? There are many others similarly guilty.
Well Peter, I sincerely hope that the owner of that reg number does not get to see this post. You could find yourself at the end of some legal letters. You might want to edit the post or get a mod to delete the reg. Your call, but the WWW is a public place.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:26 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:Back in the late '60s, as a student, I worked for probably the least reputable taxi firm in Warrington. Worked on engines sometimes during the day, and drove at night. Shady outfit: the boss had his own pad of MoT certificates, and wrote his own. :eh:
But we are now in 2016 and its a digital age. I am not so naive as to think bent MOT tests don't exist but it is a lot more difficult. The mot station has a lot to lose. DVLA can sit in the next street out of sight of the station, log on to there system and see which car is being mot tested live. If they then drive to the station and there should be a BMW on the ramp and there is a Ford or even worse nothing they lose there MOT licence on the spot. No appeal process either.

Would you risk your business for a drink from a mate?

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 am

Hola
I knew a gut that simply rang his mate - his mate swapped number plates and put his own now replated van through the MOT test. The mate then posted the MOT to Spain.

The cost was 500 pounds!

Davexf

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:25 am

Did he fail it first then take it back a few days later to be retested? As is the case with J444 JEF.

That looked genuine to me.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Hola

No this was a yearly event - just change number plates, MOT, send to Spain and change number plates back

Davexf

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:03 pm

It's nearly 12 years since I lived in the UK.
Don't they, in the UK, check the chassis number to stop someone presenting a vehicle with someone else's registration plate?
I knee that you couldn't get away with it here in Spain as the first thing they check is that the chases number co responds to the one on the vehicle presented for testing.
Seems a simple enough chech to me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 pm

I don't think DXF's case can be true unless the operator of the centre is a full blown criminal.

If he was doing it for a "mate" the chassis number would have nothing to do with it Gerry, he could enter what ever he liked, as they could feasibly do in Spain. I don't understand the bit where they "swap number plates" either. why? What difference does that make? He could in fact chuck any car/van through.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:.. the chassis number would have nothing to do with it Gerry, he could enter what ever he liked, as they could feasibly do in Spain.
Here in Spain you present the "tarjeta Inspection Technica De Vehiculos" document for an ITV test. This has the "No de matricula" (reg. no.) and "No de bastdor" (chassis no.) printed on it. This document has a record of prevision ITVs, passess and fails recorded on it.
These must match the details on the vehicle being presented for the ITV.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

I was really talking about the chassis number having nothing to do with it with regards to logging on the machine.

The ITV logbook in Spain is a good idea when you think about it, but more so the fact the ITV centres have no vested interest.

However nothing it seems is 100% scam proof sadly.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I was really talking about the chassis number having nothing to do with it with regards to logging on the machine.
Sorry I'm probably being very dense, or too much lunchtime booze, but what is "to logging on the machine"?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:29 pm

All MOTs in UK Gerry are now timed and car has to be logged on to the computer to begin the test.

Stations are up in arms as they can now only do so many tests a day and can't squeeze extra cars in as they used to.

If computer goes down a car be logged on...........nightmare for the testers at present.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 am

In theory DXF system would work but the twin car would have to have similar mileage as these are all recorded on the test. If you take your old mot test with you the stations usually takes all the info from that when they log on.
I still think the station tester would have to be in on the plot though.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 am

As you say the tester/station owner would certainly need to be in on the plot and be incredibly bent/stupid too.

In essence the actual car does not need to be there, the tester can put any mileage he wants down, which would be for the car that was going to receive the bent MOT, ie not the one in the garage. The only time the car is physically linked to the system is for emmissions.

I have witnessed one common bent occurunce which is widespread, that is putting the exhaust probe in another vehicles exhaust to get a "pass" reading on a vehicle that won't make the parameters.

JuliaStein
Tourist

Postby JuliaStein » Fri May 13, 2016 9:25 am

when you take transport across/matriculation/Taxes/ITV and the perceived stigma of RHD then I think different people will come to different conclusions.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Sat May 21, 2016 1:28 pm

Seen some Gestor recommendations on this thread. Does anyone know of a good one in the Coin or Alhuarin areas, one good with car registrations would be great.
Also, is there a link to the tax calculation tables available. Any help would be massively appreciated.