ITV rules re tyres

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
lizzie
Andalucia.com Amigo

ITV rules re tyres

Postby lizzie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I have recently been told that the rules have changed and have heard 2 versions of requirements both of which I am assured are correct !
First is the version that all tyres including the spare have to be not only the same proscribed size but now must all be the exact same make and type.
Second version is that the tyres can be of different makes but each axle has to have 2 tyres of the same make and model.
Are either if these versions true please, and if not does anyone know what the actual rules are now, if indeed they have changed ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV rules re tyres

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:54 pm

lizzie wrote:I have recently been told that the rules have changed and have heard 2 versions of requirements both of which I am assured are correct !
First is the version that all tyres including the spare have to be not only the same proscribed size but now must all be the exact same make and type.
Second version is that the tyres can be of different makes but each axle has to have 2 tyres of the same make and model.
Are either if these versions true please, and if not does anyone know what the actual rules are now, if indeed they have changed ?
I have never had my spare checked. A lot of cars have a space saving spare wheel which, by definition, cannot be exactly the same size as the other tyres.

Would go along with the second version, but I have only ever had one wheel, usually the nearside front checked to see if it is the same size as stated on the paperwork.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Just back from itv test and like Gerry I have never had the spare checked. As he said some cars have space savers some just a tin of foam! The car I have recently acquired had an odd Kumho Korean tyre on the back virtually new and nothing wrong with it. But it's a different make to the other side. Again not a mention on the test today.
I agree that ideally they should be the same and certainly the same on the front axle. But sometimes life doesn't work that way like in an emergency when a new tyre is needed and the tyre centre doesn't have that make in stock.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:49 pm

A few years ago a took one of my cars for an ITV. Sometime before the test I had a puncture in one of the front tyres and changed the wheel for the spare wheel. It passed OK, it wasn't until some weeks later I noticed the spare wheel I put on was on a 12" rim, all the other wheels where, as they should be, on 13" rims. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi,
Like all aspects of life / living in Spain it will depend on the person you see.........

Tyre size must match the green book, best practice all four same make and type.
If you have different make then they should be on same axle.
Recently returned from ITV.......as most will concur they just check one tyre and if its as per the book move on to the next item.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

I don't think the rules have changed. Your second option is right as far as I know - same tyres on each axle only.

Tyres can have a higher rating than that in the Ficha Tecnica but not lower.

Spare wheels are irrelevant. My new car doesn't have one.

One point I did learn recently is that if you have yellow bulbs in your indicators, the lacquer breaks down and that will be a failure as they are no longer yellow enough.

Sid

lizzie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lizzie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Thank you everyone. I must say though that in our local ITV station they always check 4 tyres, never just 1.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:23 pm

I can't recall ever having a tyre checked except when re-plating vehicles.
I itv'd mine a couple of weeks back & much to my surprise for the first time ever he checked the seatbelts ! :thumbup: Well he checked 4 of them & gazed at the back 3 . :lol:
It still is obviously not going to rain as the wipers & washers weren't needed.Nor the horn.
It appears also that my CO2 emissions are far better than the proposed euro 6+ @0.25 :thumbup: Means that what's coming out is cleaner than what is going in.
Todos somos Lorca.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:20 pm

When replacing tyres on the old Ibiza, used by my son these days, I've been told by the shop that I must always buy the same brand and types as the ones already on the car due to ITV rules.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 am

You certainly don't have to worry about the brand as such apart from the fact that they must be the same on each axle. They must conform to or exceed the specs listed in the Ficha Technica and that does not mention brand.

Don't believe what theses Muppets in the shop tell you. My wife's car had Bridgestone but when I tried to replace them, I was told that Bridgestone were not available in Spain.

Needless to say, he was a Michelin agent!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:31 am

gus-lopez wrote:I can't recall ever having a tyre checked except when re-plating vehicles.
I itv'd mine a couple of weeks back & much to my surprise for the first time ever he checked the seatbelts ! :thumbup: Well he checked 4 of them & gazed at the back 3 . :lol:
It still is obviously not going to rain as the wipers & washers weren't needed.Nor the horn.
It just depends on the test station. In Motril they have always checked everything. They are now failing cars where the plastic headlight covers have discoloured and gone hazy.

They have also failed cars where the indicator bulbs are not orange enough as most of the orange lacquer has peeled off.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 am

El Cid wrote:
It just depends on the test station. In Motril they have always checked everything. They are now failing cars where the plastic headlight covers have discoloured and gone hazy.

They have also failed cars where the indicator bulbs are not orange enough as most of the orange lacquer has peeled off.

Sid
Yes they've always failed the headlight going hazy . It allows the light to be scattered everywhere & is picked up on the beam test.
Many places up here, offer re-polishing of the lights. I do my own.
Todos somos Lorca.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 am

ITV before last the car had fairly new Michelins on the front and the Original Bridgestones on the back. Due to a combination of events one of the rear tyres was the nearly new spare and one had done 70,000 miles or so. This one was down to the wear bars but had discernable tread.
I decided to try it as I could not afford a replacement.
Horror at the ITV as this was the tyre he checked but sticker issued without comment.
When the funds were available the Tyre place made a great thing about selling me a pair of Miches for the back as I had to have the same make on the axle and returning the Bridgestone to it's place as the spare.
I have had the Bridgestones are not available in Spain line too Sid, not from a Michelin dealer.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Lyric wrote: I have had the Bridgestones are not available in Spain line too Sid, not from a Michelin dealer.
Funny how they have a manufacturing & distribuition plant in Spain? :lol:

http://www.bridgestone.eu/corporate/abo ... nd-figures

Could be that they just don't sell them here branded as Bridgestone. They have loads of other names, Firestone being one.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:23 pm

gus-lopez wrote:
Could be that they just don't sell them here branded as Bridgestone. They have loads of other names, Firestone being one.
No, they are easily available in Spain - I have had two complete sets since - but not from the Michelin tyre place.

The tyre place was just lying!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Irrespective of what any of the laws say, a car will pass its ITV, or fail it, depending on whether or not the tester has been allowed by his missus to play 'hide the sausage' in the past 24 hours!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

Bumping an old thread but we are due our first ITV next month we have had to replace the front and back drivers side tyres due to punctures.so at the time we hardly had time to go around hunting for tyres of the exact spec as the ones that had gone flat.

Anyone had recent experience of the ITV station at algarrobo and the tyre checking.gonna be peed off if for no reason we are gonna have to buy new tyres to replace ones that are only a few months old.the garage we bought them from certainly never mentioned anything other than that the tyre that had punctured needed replacing anyway as its tread would have failed the ITV

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

Hi elusive,
Just have the two "new" tyres on the same axle.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 am

They are both different brands. The tyres were from the same puncture incident but one was a slow puncture so wasnt changed for several months after the original incident. Same garage though! The two tyres front and back on the passenger side are the originals and the two on the drivers side are two diff brands.

Wondering whats people recent experience of algarrobo testing station is inregards to tyres been checked as ive read lots of diff things.as normal lots of diff experiences

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 am

At least wing it...........get the two the same on same axle.

Best always to have same make and type on all 4 road wheels..........

I was a tyre fitter in a former life......... :angel: