new traffic laws in Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

new traffic laws in Spain

Postby littleeak » Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 pm

worth reading if you drive in Spain

http://www.theleader.info/article/43572 ... on-friday/

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: new traffic laws in Spain

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 pm

You should read the law in detail. Interesting, particularly about hitting large animals. I would love to be in court when the first case comes up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Not totally accurate especially regarding the registration of foreign cars.

No decisions have yet been made about this section of the law so at the moment there are no changes to the rules.

The new rules will be announced in due course along with details of which roads will be subject to the new speed limits.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 13, 2014 5:54 pm

With regard to the limit on drink driving, it mentions 0.5 mgs per litre of exhaled air. What does that roughly equate to! Would it be one or two tubos of cerveza? Or if we went out for a meal would one tubo be excessive to have with it? Just a rough guide would be useful although strength of beer would come into the equation,
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 13, 2014 6:43 pm

The normal limit in Spain is 25mg per litre. That is the same as 50mg in the blood. The UK limit is 35mg in breath and 80mg in the blood, so Spain has a much lower limit.

In terms of alcohol this is equivalent to 2.5 units of alcohol which is a pint of full strength beer/lager or a large (200ml) glass of wine or a good slug of 40% spirits (60ml).

To trigger the double fine of €1000 you need to be twice the limit. If you are just under 2.5 times the limit it is a criminal offence with a jail sentence.

Obviously the effect of alcohol on your system depends on many factors and the amount you can drink before hitting these limits may be more or less than the guidance figures.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Sid. The limit you mention is what I had thought it was but the article linked to earlier says :
The fine for driving whilst under the influence of alcohol will remain at 500 euro, in the case of driver exceeding 0.5 milligrams per litre of exhaled air and 0.3 milligrams for novice drivers and professionals, such as taxi drivers.
Does that mean the limit has risen slightly or am I reading the units incorrectly?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 pm

The limit, which is 25mg, is the same as before, only the fines have changed.

If you are double the limit the fine is doubled. If you are convicted twice in the same year for the normal limit, the second fine is double.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Thanks Sid. The limit you mention is what I had thought it was but the article linked to earlier says :
The fine for driving whilst under the influence of alcohol will remain at 500 euro, in the case of driver exceeding 0.5 milligrams per litre of exhaled air and 0.3 milligrams for novice drivers and professionals, such as taxi drivers.
Does that mean the limit has risen slightly or am I reading the units incorrectly?
The 0,5mg is for normal drivers. The 0,3mg is lower for novice drivers , those who have passed test less than 2 years, & for 'professional' drivers. These are bus, taxi, van, lorry, police,ambulance,fire anyone who earns a living where driving is a part of job,etc;etc.
Todos somos Lorca.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks Gus and Sid. Got that now.

Back to my earlier question. Of course, body build, eaten or not etc. will have an effect, but for the normal experienced driver is one tubo of cerveza likely to put him/her over the limit. Personally I don't like drinking anything at all but would feel OK after one tubo, no more, but If one tubo would put me over the legal limit I wouldn't do it all.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 14, 2014 1:49 pm

On the basis that for the normal limit, you could drink a pint of 5% beer, two tubos would be OK, possibly three. Remember that the Guardia will probably not book you if you are just over the limit, but it's not a good idea to assume that.

It's like speeding, you don't get a ticket for 121kph - they usually allow a bit on top for equipment error and of course most speedos over-read by up to 10%, typically 5%.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 pm

gus-lopez wrote: These are bus, taxi, van, lorry, police,ambulance,fire anyone who earns a living where driving is a part of job,etc;etc.
Unless you are friends with the Trafico boys like the driving instructor who turned into me as I overtook him was, and recorded 3.17, some two hours after the incident.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 15, 2014 7:06 am

El Cid wrote:...Remember that the Guardia will probably not book you if you are just over the limit,
The Guardia probably won't book you unless you are more drunk than they are. :mrgreen:
Let's go Brandon!

william svan
Tourist

Postby william svan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am

El Cid wrote:On the basis that for the normal limit, you could drink a pint of 5% beer, two tubos would be OK, possibly three. Remember that the Guardia will probably not book you if you are just over the limit, but it's not a good idea to assume that.

It's like speeding, you don't get a ticket for 121kph - they usually allow a bit on top for equipment error and of course most speedos over-read by up to 10%, typically 5%.

Sid
Ah... that seems very Spanish. Good the germans aren't here to rule Spain... :lolno:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am

Spain seems to be taking the drink driving law seriously. Over 53,000 convicted last year.

http://www.diariosur.es/sociedad/201407 ... 40-rc.html

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36 am

Katy. Your link takes me to a page that has nothing to do with drink driving. Maybe the link is too long?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:37 am

Come on katy................

Your link..................

http://www.diariosur.es/sociedad/201407 ... 40-rc.html

Please use the URL tab in the Posting box to post long/all URL's

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

Seems to be the police taking it seriously, not the drivers, as they expect to catch more this year. If the drivers were taking it seriously there would be less to catch. I hope drivers do start taking it seriously.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 am

I seem to be having the same problem as Lavanda....only happens when I am on a Mac :?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:24 pm

I wonder if they police will go around testing the youngsters who congregate in their cars at the weekends? The next morning there are always plenty of broken glasses everywhere and empty spirit bottles laying about. :thumbdown: