De-registering your car when its sold ...?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Martin Page
Resident

De-registering your car when its sold ...?

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 am

I'm sure I've read on here that when you sell your car - you have to de-register it - but I cant find the details

I'm about to trade in my car for a new one. The car franchise are saying that they will do everything that need to be done, even change the insurance from the old car to the new car.

But somewhere in the back of my mind - I have to do something - to protect my interests against the illegal use of the old car, such as subsequent speeding or traffic offences. What and how ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: De-registering your car when its sold ...?

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Martin Page,

" The car franchise are saying that they will do everything that need to be done"

Should be ok if they do that................When I sold a car the Gestor wrapped it all up, I didn't do anything further.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am

In the true Spanish responsibility of 'Mia Culpa' I want to be sure that I have done what I have to in order to absolve my responsibilities for the old car.

I have heard of many horror stories - so prevention is far better than cure ...

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 am

You have on rely on the person doing the transfer, I think the horror stories come from selling privately and relying on the Buyer .."I'll get the paper work sorted ".....which he doesn't........ :evil:

dxf may add some info.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:47 am

You can complete this form and take it to DGT. (Make sure you get a validated copy) It puts the onus on the purchaser to ensure the change of ownership is registered and gives you proof of transfer if you continue to get bills and fines:

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit ... ellano.pdf

Instruction sheet here:

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit ... hiculo.pdf

Do this whether it is a private sale or a sale through a dealer. If they know you have submitted this form they will be all the more keen to ensure that the change of ownership is registered as soon as possible.

Make sure you have a contract stating the exact time and date of the handover of the vehicle.
Let's go Brandon!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 am

In the time I've lived here I have traded in three cars through a dealership and they have done all the paperwork bar insurance. It never occurred to me to anything myself and, fingers crossed, I've never had any problems.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Beach ... the font of all knowledge - that is just what I wanted ...

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 am

Hola

Whilst most car dealers WILL do the bookwork, there are many that don't do it for a few months. OK if the car is in a showroom, but I have heard of it taking a couple of months AFTER the car is sold for the bookwork to be completed.

If you are trading the car in for scrap under plan Pive then all should be well, but if not then the Seller should never hand over the keys until the "transferring car ownership" tax has been paid to the Junta de Andalucía and Trafico have completed the transfer.

Davexf

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:39 am

I some how suspect, the suspicious git that I am ... that the car dealership are working a fast one here some how.
The car is only 8 years old ... but slipped in amongst all the form that needed to be signed, one was made out for the PIVE - I still don't understand what she was going on about ( the joys of only speaking a little Spanish and understanding even less )

I just want to cover my backside - then they can do what ever they like with the car

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 am

Plan PIVE is about getting an extra allowance for scrapping a used vehicle and buying a brand new one:

http://www.planpive.net/requisitos-del-plan-pive.html

Eight years old seems a bit young to be scrapping the vehicle. I think you need to get this checked out.
Let's go Brandon!