Buying LHD in UK and bring to Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying LHD in UK and bring to Spain

Postby Pete'nKim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I have been looking at LHD cars in the UK as a possible alternative to bringing my car and buying when we get there in Feb. (I'd get a family member to drive it back when we buy)

Lots of folks on here tell of the high price for 2nd hand cars in Spain and I am starting to look at a few locally to compare (only as an example, a 2007 BMW X3 2.0D with 67000mls for £9800).
The BMW has been brought back from Tenerife and is now UK registered; am I right this means a new matriculation and 10% on top, which may mean buying in Spain is a better bet unless this is significantly below local prices (Looking on milauncios, this is the price for a high mileage X3).
Is it only "premium" makes that are high as I looked at a few Kias on Milanuncios and they seemed to compare favourably with UK prices.
What do folks think?
Get a car that's spanish registered in the UK or buy for good price and matriculate?
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

gina59
Resident

Re: Buying LHD in UK and bring to Spain

Postby gina59 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Risky, there could be fines on the car so you would need to be able to check that, but also you need to make sure that you have a copy of passport or nie of the last person who owned it in spain. I came really unstuck with this, and was unable to change the car into my name once I reached spain. Very expensive lesson.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Save yourself a lot of potential hassle and buy in Spain.

You will have enough problems with paperwork just to live here. Unless you are so hard up you need to save on the price of the car then it is one hassle that you can avoid.

Unless it was a special car you really cherished and already owned, don't even think about it.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 pm

We have had 2 cars from these guys, One Uk registered and one Spanish. They sell cars with all the relevant papers and check for fines and debt on the cars. www.onwheelsltd.com

Nice people to deal with.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:22 pm

When we moved to Spain in 2004 I bought a new LHD 4x4 in the UK because we had a lot of personal effects we wanted with us for the move. We duly re- registered the car in Spain using a Gestor. It went smoothly and I would do the same again!

Having now returned to the UK we brought our latest Spanish registered 4x4 back. Initially I was going to re-register it here but on finding out how much it would cost to replace the speedo ( not calibrated in miles) and new headlamp clusters (beam adjustment) I approached the Company I bought the original car back in 2004. They offered me a fair price and checked all the documentation before completing the sale. The Company is LHD Centre in Basingstoke.

These things are never as complicated as they may first seem!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:27 pm

In my opinion the easiest and simplest option is to buy in Spain, nowadays second hand cars are much cheaper in Spain than when I first arrived .
If not, your idea of arriving in your UK car and then return it is fine, and also not that difficult to change to Spanish plates and cheap if you do it quickly, if you decide to go that way.
Really it's down to personal choices and circumstances...

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:06 pm

BENIDORM wrote: , nowadays second hand cars are much cheaper in Spain than when I first arrived .
And getting cheaper by the minute as the Euro crashes!

Sid