The act of buying a used car.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

The act of buying a used car.

Postby Lyric » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:26 pm

I might buy a used car from a dealer in Madrid. He has the model I have to get (orders) it's ok I have no objection to it.
How does it work ?
The dealer clearly states not including transfer, therefore I have to do it I expect, fine, I don't have a problem with that. How can I find the cost of that.
Does this mean that we do a deal, he gives me the car, the permissio de circulation, the fisca technica and the last ITV and perhaps something else, and I, having arranged insurance over the phone can just drive it away like in the UK, or am I missing something and it will involve two trips to Madrid on the train.
Please excuse Spanish spelling.
Help and guidance appreciated.

Edit to remove reference to cash.
Last edited by Lyric on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: The act of buying a used car.

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Why do you need to pay cash ? a bank transfer is much cleaner and safer !

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:09 pm

I am just thinking car dealer - bent - cash - no/less tax :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:50 pm

The legal limit for any deal with a business in cash is €2500, so raises two points: are you going a long way to buy an old banger; if the dealer takes more then the limit in cash he is happy to break money-laundering laws so will he honour any others?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Does that also apply to a transfer Peter, my Bank is aware I am looking for a car and that funds are going to come for the UK to cover it and have not said anything.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 am

It is the limit for a cash deal. The bank will probably happily supply you with the cash, it is just that the dealer is not allowed to accept it.
When we bought our air-con installation we simply did a bank transfer via internet banking.
"The legislative experience gained in such neighbouring countries as France and Italy was taken into account when developing this new measure in Spain. It will no longer be possible for cash payments to be used in transactions equal to or greater than 2,500 euros when at least one of the parties involved is a business owner or a professional. In other words, it will also affect transactions between a private individual and a business owner. However, it will not be applied to payments and deposits made with credit institutions.

In order not to damage activities associated with the tourism sector, the limitation on the use of cash is raised to 15,000 euros when the payor is a non-resident private individual.

The parties involved in such transactions must keep hold of the proof of payment for a period of five years following the date thereof in order to demonstrate that the payment was made using a method other than cash. The parties will be required to present such proof of payment upon request by the Spanish Tax Office.

Anyone failing to comply with this limit will face fines of 25% of the value of the cash payment. Both the payor and the recipient of the payment will be jointly liable for any such breach, meaning that the Spanish Tax Authorities may require either of them to pay 100% of the fine."

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:17 am

When we bought from a second hand dealer in Velez we paid by bank transfer and they included the cost of the transfer and did it all themselves, letting us know when the paperwork was done and ready for collection.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me especially as they only want cash. When buying a car from anyone except a recognised dealer, then both parties should go to the gestoria to check there's no debts etc and for the seller's ID to be checked and copied for the paperwork. Personally I would be very cautious, especially as you are intending going all the way to Madrid for it.

A friend wanted an automatic Golf and went to Seville to a VW dealership to buy one as they couldn't find one locally. They wouldn't let them drive it away that day he viewed it, but he had to go back the week later for some reason.

BTW, what is this car you are looking for that is so hard to source?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:24 am

Cash was a figure of speech, what I mean is no trade in and no finance.
I am going to a Reputable dealer not a private sale,if I go.
Their ad says excluding transfer so I presume I get all the required paper and do it myself, dunno yet.
What I was asking, and what nobody has yet answered was what I need, and what I need to receive.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Lyric, it was you that raised the cash condition ( which I note you have now edited out) saying you were concerned about carrying a large amount around. I was merely trying to save you that risk, and embarrasment at the dealer when your wedge was refused!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

I can't understand why they wouldn't deal with the transfer, even if you have to pay the transfer fees. When buying second hand here we have never been given any of the paperwork just a receipt to show it is being dealt with.

You would need their ID to do the paperwork in order to transfer it from them to you, that's why I thought you'd both need to go to a gestoria. If it is a proper dealership then I would have thought they would have handled it all but perhaps they are just saying that the cost will be added on to the price of the car. We needed our residencia but not sure what else they would need in the way of paperwork to hand the car over.

The transfer fee is set by the Government as I understand it and depends on the make/model/year etc. I know from experience it can be several hundred euros unless things have changed recently.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Peter I appreciate you pointing that out, it had not occurred to me.

Mrs W, all i know is that the blurb says and I c&p

"12 meses de garantía 5 estrellas europea *******. 10 días de prueba. Certificado de kilometraje y de estructura. Aceptamos su coche como parte del pago. Financiación 100% ­ transferencia no incluida. ******* es el concesionario de compra y venta de vehículos de ocasión líder de Madrid. Más de 250 coches en stock"

I haven't spoken to them yet maybe all will become clear.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Lyric wrote:
Mrs W, all i know is that the blurb says and I c&p

"Aceptamos su coche como parte del pago. Financiación 100% ­ transferencia no incluida. *"

I haven't spoken to them yet maybe all will become clear.
Lyric wrote:Cash was a figure of speech, what I mean is no trade in and no finance.
Doesn't that say that they accept your car as part payment .... ie part-exchange .... and 100% finance available?

Perhaps it means that the 100% finance package does not include the cost of the transfer so you'd have to pay for that separately if you wanted a 100% loan for the price of the car for instance. I don't think they'll loan you money to pay the taxes on the purchase.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:55 pm

That may well be a good interpretation ....... makes sense, I need to send a mail or ring 'em up.
The dealer has two so it is probably worth the trip.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:11 pm

" Not including transfer " doesn't mean he won't be doing it just that he won't be paying for it; you will & it won't be going anywhere until he has done it. Quite common.
Todos somos Lorca.