Problem with my Golf

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Problem with my Golf

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:54 pm

The batteries on the new Golf/Leon/Audi models have to be pretty heavy duty as these cars have stop/start which puts more load on the battery and they also have regenerative braking, where during braking, the output from the alternator is pumped up really high to charge the battery. It's a sort of "hybrid" system. All in the cause of lower emissions/Mpg figures!

All of that will cause a battery to fail if there are any faults in it.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Never knew they had regenerative braking Sid just to charge a little 12v cell.

Thought that was the reserve of Hybrids. Interesting.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

JayMac
Tourist

Postby JayMac » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:54 pm

You might find something on this forum -

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... switch-off

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Never knew they had regenerative braking Sid just to charge a little 12v cell.

Thought that was the reserve of Hybrids. Interesting.
Basically, it attempts to utilise the full power of the alternator only when the engine is not using fuel, such as when coasting or braking.

More info here

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... generation

A browse around that site shows lots of very interesting technology that is now available on the average family car - no longer the reserve of the S-Class Mercedes!

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:59 pm

katy wrote:Hey guys, the dashboard display lights won't go off when I switch off the ignition. Any ideas? :D

How old is the Golf ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:13 pm

If you had bothered to read Katy's earlier posts, you would know it was two years old.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 pm

You're right Cid, Unfortunately many of us are not perfect (god, if we all were!)
anyway Katy, dump it and buy a Merc !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 pm

It's not a question of being perfect, more a question of having the respect for other people's posts to make the effort to actually read them before responding.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 am

El Cid wrote:The batteries on the new Golf/Leon/Audi models have to be pretty heavy duty as these cars have stop/start which puts more load on the battery and they also have regenerative braking, where during braking, the output from the alternator is pumped up really high to charge the battery. It's a sort of "hybrid" system. All in the cause of lower emissions/Mpg figures!

All of that will cause a battery to fail if there are any faults in it.

Sid
What do you guys think about all these new systems, computerised diagnosis etc. As I said I know nothing but I remember years ago people tinkering about with cars, doing their own repairs etc. Is this not possible now? Doesn't seem right to me that a little thing like a battery causes all that havoc.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:03 am

Far too complicated today.
In 1965 I went on holiday with two mates to Goodrington Sands in Devon.
We drove down there in a 1950's Austin A40 Somerset convertible.We just about got there and the head gasket went.We changed the head gasket with the only tools we had,a screwdriver,a wheelbrace and a box spanner.
Try doing that today,in the Porsche Boxster I had a few years back you couldn't even see the engine!
Last edited by Nimrod on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:09 am

Katy asked:
all these new systems, computerised diagnosis etc
Couldn't run my Discovery without having a diagnostic machine at home! The dealer charges half-hour's labour to connect the Land Rover to their diagnostic machine and with all the electronic sensors ready to throw up faults, it's the only way to know what's going on and thus to get straight to the heart of the problem. In your case, you could have read the voltage when at rest, when running etc, etc, and, as I think about it, there would be a way to measure all those figures with a simple multi-meter as well. Different world as you say.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:25 am

We've had computer diagnostics for years Katy, back to the early 90's at least. That part of it I'm fine with.
Every home mechanic will have purchased a cheap OBD2 diagnostic tool and in the past that would have been sufficient to tell you a lambda had given up the ghost or suchlike.

Now though as we move on to EU6 it is becoming a worry (even for me :mrgreen: ) if a management light comes on.

The car I've just bought should really have no electronic gizmo's on it at all but is now forced to carry them through cart blanche legislation, ESC etc.

I suppose the upshot is though cars are greener, quicker and more economical now than ever, and are very reliable.........but as you've found the battery is now more important than ever to maintain.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Interesting, as I said I don't have the knowledge to have an opinion either way but nice to read about others :D