Tinted rear windows and ITV - advice needed please

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tinted rear windows and ITV - advice needed please

Postby johnr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:35 am

Hi all,

I managed to lock my keys in my car and the grua couldn't open it. So the only option left was to smash to the window.

The rear windows were tinted. I have the documentation from when they were done (the previous owner had it done). It's never had a problem with the ITV.

I checked with the main dealer to find out which window I needed and thought I had bought the right one (from ebay). I had it sent over and had it fitted without seeing it.

But now it's been done it, the new rear window is much darker than opposite rear window.

The ITV is due at the end of the month.

The car is also going to be sold.

At the moment it looks stupid with one dark window so I need to do something - either replace the window again (but the mechanic said it was the hardest window change he'd ever done...) or get the other rear tinted as dark as the new one.

Does anyone know 1) if there will be a problem with the ITV with the darker windows and 2) where in Malaga I could get someone to tint the other window to match the darker window?

Thanks
John

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tinted rear windows and ITV - advice needed please

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I don't think rear windows are an ITV problem. There are a few companies around Fuengirola and Marbella who do window tinting. There must be one in Malaga also.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Our car has 'gangster glass' and even though original equipment caused consternation at it's first ITV until the Toyota and CE marks were found then it was OK.
Same old Spain I guess, depends who is doing the test.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Hola

Tinted windows have to have homologation! I have hit this countless times when re-matriculating UK cars onto Spanish plates. BUT it all depends on the ITV guy on the day; if he doesn't notice - then you'll get a pass - but if he does - then he will fail it as the homologation certificate will not cover both shades on the two windows.

Your best bet is to go to one of the tinting companies who will either give you a homologation certificate or will tell you exactly what your options are.

Davexf

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks all. The window that's gone in is an official original window from the same make/model/year of the car - just not the same shade as the others, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem. I'll go to a tinting company and see what they say. Understand the need to get the paperwork for it.

I use one of my regular mechanics to take it in for the ITV - I think that helps things get viewed more favourably ;)

Fingers crossed!

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 am

Have a look here, N332 police advice website:

http://n332.es/2015/06/12/can-i-tint-my-windows/

Quote from article (dated Jun 2015):

However, the law changed recently which now means that tinted windows are no longer considered a major reform, so an extraordinary inspection is no longer required, so long as all other requirements are met. It is always advisable to check with your local ITV station before having laminate tinting installed though, just to be sure.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 pm

their use of the term "extrodinary inspection" refers to a "perito" inspection (independant of the ITV) and has to be done by an outside agent, for about 120€ (per item)

Window tints are ok on the back, as long as they are fitted ok and have no bubbles. yours is factory glass so "should" be ok - even if they dont match - as long as it has the homologation stamp on it.

theres no 100% way to tell - take it and see... :thumbup:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.