EU certificate of conformity for a car.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

EU certificate of conformity for a car.

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I've matriculated a couple of RHD UK vehicles in Spain now for my own use and it's been quite straightforward.

However as I know there are a few clued up guys here on this subject I have a query I'd like some info. or thoughts on please.

A dear friend in Spain has tasked me with sourcing him a LHD vehicle here in the UK, that's his wishes so that's not up for negotiation with regards to trying to find one in Spain, in case anyone suggests that.

So, I've found a great car that meets all requirements, mint, LHD and perfect subject to my final haggle.
There is one snag though, vehicle is imported from Japan. I have asked vendor about certificates etc. for EU conformity but he's no idea. I've also asked other mates in the trade and I'm getting varied views.

Car is a BMW, sold new to Japan. Would this have/be able to get a CofC guys? I ask because I know of one guy who made a mistake bringing a Wrangler to Spain from the states, however that vehicle was American...........had it been registered in UK he'd have had no issues.

So in a nutshell, Jap Import, BMW, now on English plates = matriculation in Spain............is this a go'er?

Thanks as always
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: EU certificate of conformity for a car.

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:39 am

Hi D.A.,
Just some thoughts from me and keep Your Post Active and await dxf for some Facts........... :idea:

Japan drive on the same side as UK so a L/H drive will have R/H drive headlights, are they easy to switch on this Model :?:

As its Registered in UK it should comply to EU standards..........so in theory just a straight register on to Spanish plates.

I'm hopefully over in Spain later next week so will have a word with my Gestor who specializes in car transfers.

If you can PM me the Model and year so we can get some figures on Transfer costs........... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:14 am

New EU car to Japan will not have a COC. The car will be rest of world spec not european. You will never get a coc for that car. A friend bought a Jaguar from Hong Kong and thought he would be able to get a coc as the car was uk built but was unable for the above reasons.
You will still be able to register the car in Spain under the same rules as if it was a usa import.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:20 am

Likely to be correct. "Type Approvals" (Certificates of Conformity) vary across administrations/continents/countries. Illegal, for example, sell or use many EC approved vehicles in USA or Canada. Not just a matter of lighting, etc, but of under-the-skin items such as emission controls, braking specs, bumper types, fuelling systems, engine management programming, and so on.

Get a good car-importing Gestor to thoroughly check out an individual vehicle (all the details, including those on the Rating Plate in the engine bay) before taking ownership. Matriculation from inside the EU into Spain is expensive enough; costs for outside-EU are even higher. (Another reason not to leave...).
Chris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks Enrique for the kind offer of assistance as per usual, also thanks CK and Chris for your input.

Valid point Enrique about the headlight change and also anything else on the rear that may need changing. I'm tending to lean with CK's view, just got back from a small car meet and a couple of guys in the know there say it could well be a bit of a pig to legalise in Spain.

I will try and speak to my Gestor in Spain tomorrow about this but my gut feeling at present is to leave this car alone, shame as it fits the bill 100%. however I don't need any hassle's if I can avoid it.

Appreciated as always fellas

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi D.A..
"So in a nutshell, Jap Import, BMW, now on English plates = matriculation in Spain............is this a go'er?"

Japan's technical regulations are not the same as those that apply in the UK and Europe which means that cars must undergo modification and testing under the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) scheme to ensure that they meet appropriate safety and environmental standards before they are legal to use on UK roads. The Government's Vehicle and Operator Standards Agency (VOSA) operates the SVA scheme, and we recommend that you read the comprehensive information available on their website.

So if you say this BMW is on UK plates it should have the SVA............. :?:

Info should have been recorded on a VOSA Database.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Hola

If the vehicle is on UK plates then it should be able to be imported - in theory; you can always get the odd hiccup - like a car from Oman that the VIN number was only eight digits - so a new one had to be invented and then inscribed on the vehicle.

You can get a Spanish engineer to give the Spanish equivalent of a COC for 120€ - but best find out cost of changing headlights and rear lights first, and also check the tyres conform to European standards

Davexf
Last edited by dxf on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:47 am

Also be aware that the European regulations for the number of digits on the Rating Plate have been changed, more than once, in recent decades. Our 1996 UK vehicle was declined for first test (despite having had a favourable Spanish Engineer's report) by Algarrobo ITV test centre, on the grounds that it was one digit short. Although built in 1996, it was 'first registered' in 1998, and in the meantime regulations had introduced an extra digit! Apparently, Algarrobo was discovered to be particularly fussy about this sort of thing; La Cala (at Rincon) were far more relaxed, and welcomed the car when we took it there.

On the up side, having then matriculated with newly issued plates, the car was seemingly logged by DGT as a 'new car', despite being 11 years old, and so first ITV wasn't notified for another three years! Lovely.
Chris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:19 am

Many thanks once more guys for your input on this, appreciated a lot.

As DXF says there should not in theory be a problem, and that's what I thought too at first, however I have a niggle in my mind it may not be a 100% easy ride as my other 2 transfers were in Spain.

If the car were for me then yes, I'd be taking the risk, doing the headlights myself and arguing the toss over there if any hassles arose. However I now think I'll play it safe and forget this vehicle. It is just not clear cut enough at present that all would be plain sailing. I'd hate to land our friend with a problem that I could have avoided, a shame but I think it'll be for the best.

Again thank you all, you've helped in this decision no end.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:09 am

Numpty add on question guys please.

Can a Spanish resident (expat) get car insurance in Spain on a UK registered vehicle? Any problems you foresee?

Again thank you.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:19 am

Hola

Yes there are companies that will give you cover - but the Guardia will tell you that as a resident, you cannot drive a UK registered vehicle so get it matriculated.

Davexf

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:34 am

Many thanks again for your advice. When you say "the guardia will tell you", does that mean it is written in law a resident can't drive a UK plated car? Or is it just something the Guardia say.

Thanks again Dave.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:42 am

Hola

To me the law doesn't matter - what matters is the hassle of proving the law after you've had the fine (plus charges) taken from your account. Whilst the days of the Guardia giving you on the spot fines to feather their pockets may be over, they do need to be seen to be "useful" to Spain.

Davexf

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Dave. Was just looking for factual clarity on the law. If it is illegal for a resident to drive a UK registered vehicle in Spain then I'm sure he'd book it in for matriculation straight away. If that was not the case and it was in fact legal then he could take his time with it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:38 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Many thanks again for your advice. When you say "the guardia will tell you", does that mean it is written in law a resident can't drive a UK plated car? Or is it just something the Guardia say.
It's correct. It's slightly different if you bring a car to Spain when you move to Spain permanently as you have up to 6 months to do it, but must have owned it in the UK.

What you are suggesting is a simple import from another country. That happens all the time but I am pretty sure there is no period of grace.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:48 am

Ok Sid, so what you are saying (if I read it right) is if I sort him a car, I'm best sourcing LHD headlights and the rest and for him to book it in for matriculation as soon as he arrives back home in Spain?

Any, problems with insurance you can think of? ie I'd assume he'd insure it by giving its current UK reg. number, then change policy details when matriculated?

Thanks.