Expired Driving License

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Chinksy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Expired Driving License

Postby Chinksy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi my wife has got a UK driving license which has been expired for 7 years and now she would like to start driving again. We are currently looking at residencia here in Spain and would need to change for a Spanish license. Question would it be possible to exchange license would it be accepted by Traffico. There are no disqualifications or points on the license just not been used for the last few years. any help or advice much appreciated.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Expired Driving License

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:58 pm

It is not impossible to exchange an expired UK licence, but it can get very complicated. If you are not yet residents in Spain, then the best thing you can do is renew it in the UK and then exchange it here when you become resident.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi Chinksy,
Sounds like Sid's option is the way to go...........further reading...........

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... ng-licence
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:04 pm

It's no problem to exchange an expired UK one for a Spanish one. I did it. No complications whatsoever. I didn't even have my UK one to physically present to trafico as DVLA had confiscated it.

Best option is to go to trafico and start the procedure. Let them decide if there's an issue !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:27 pm

You were very lucky. Other peoples experiences contradict yours. The DGT website clearly states that you must produce your original driving licence.

Which Trafico office did you use?

Sid