Motor Scooter

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
jogger
Resident

Motor Scooter

Postby jogger » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Right, we have decided to get a small 4x4 Fiat Panda or something like that, were we will be living it will probably be the best type vehicle to get. We will also need a motor scooter so if one of us is out in the car then the other still has transport which will be needed aa it is a drive to Periana. Now will we be able to ride this on our UK full licence ( which will be changed to a Spanish licence ) or would a test be necessary at some point. We would be looking at up to 125cc ?

Thanks
Roy

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Motor Scooter

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:57 pm

My UK driving licence included motorcycles (full permission, test passed), and this has been transferred without query straight to a replacement Spanish licence.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:13 pm

In Spain, as a special concession, if you have held a category B licence (cars) for 3 years you can drive a scooter up to 125cc. This also applies for a UK licence. You can drive a 50cc moped without the 3 year condition.

If you have a Spanish licence, it will not show the scooter category on the licence and you cannot use the scooter outside Spain unless that country has similar concessions.

Sid

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:30 pm

That's great news, so I have Cat B licence which when I move to Spain and transfer my licence it means I'll be able to drive the scooter up to 125cc without ever having to do a bike test? I was thinking previously maybe I should do the bike test here and then transfer it when we move.........

Thanks
Roy