Car Insurance for ExPats

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
telboy
Resident

Car Insurance for ExPats

Postby telboy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:23 pm

For those people emigrating to Spain from say USA, Canada, Australia etc -

On purchasing a car and arranging car insurance - How do the companies check your No Claims Discount rating :?:
Do they trust you to be honest about what you tell them or is there a huge worldwide database from which they can find that information :?:

When I moved to Spain and bought a new car I arranged my car insurance over the phone with Linea Directa, they just asked how many years NCD I had and that was the end of it, I wasn't asked for any proof nor did they ask me who my previous UK insurers were to back check.

Cheers :thumbup:
terry

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Insurance for ExPats

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Mine asked for proof ie an email or letter from my uk company showing proof.cant see it been any harder regardless of what country you come from

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Dont ever be tempted to lie on this issue. The insurer will happily take your money, but in the event of a claim if they finnd out you told a lie they will void your policy and return your premium to you leaving you uninsured. 30 years in the insurance industry behind me is where I gather my information.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:04 pm

An insurance company cannot totally void your car insurance if you lie. They still have to honour third party claims. They clearly would not honour any damage to you or your car and can sue you for the amount they paid out, but they cannot void the policy for an existing third party claim. The UK Road Traffic Act makes that quite clear. As far as I am aware, the same rules apply in the EU.

Sid

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:55 pm

El Cid wrote:An insurance company cannot totally void your car insurance if you lie. They still have to honour third party claims. They clearly would not honour any damage to you or your car and can sue you for the amount they paid out, but they cannot void the policy for an existing third party claim. The UK Road Traffic Act makes that quite clear. As far as I am aware, the same rules apply in the EU.

Sid
Really ? Seriously ? Your policy is void if you lie. Fact. It's called non disclosure :roll: . Unless you are a regulated entity by a financial regulator withing the EU and know better ? :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 pm

You could try reading this. Pick holes in it, by all means - it's not my work, but it does seem to be a reliable source.

http://www.adduce-services.co.uk/tl_fil ... rticle.pdf

This is the bit of the RTA which seems to cover it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/151 Section 5 seems to cover it.

In Spain, you are protected from uninsured drivers by the "Consorcio". A percentage of your premium is taken by them and if an uninsured or driver hits you, they will pay out.

I am only passing on what is freely available on the Internet - I cannot comment on its accuracy. Other members can read it for themselves and make their own judgements.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 am

I had problems finding a company who would recognize my no claims, even though I was told they legally should have done so. In the end Linea Directa did so I would try them.

Cid is correct that in Spain a special fund covers third parties should an accident be caused by someone without cover.

There are other differences here in Spain from the UK such as when insuring my then 18 year old son after he had passed his test, I had to have the policy in my name but he was named as the main driver.

Also car insurance tends to be much cheaper here especially for younger drivers.