Transfer of secondhand car between friends

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fyfin
Resident

Transfer of secondhand car between friends

Postby fyfin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 am

I have helped out two lots of friends in the past in doing a car transfer (people selling their car as going back to UK) but basically all I did was prepare the contrato de compraventa nd go with them to our local Asesoria who speaks no English. I speak some Spanish so we can get by.

The last two were no problem and the guy there just took copies and used his sister company in Almeria to do the actual transfer. His fee is €60 and then there is the Trafico fee (not sure how much it is but around €50) plus the 4% tax on the valuation which is usually much more than the selling price between friends. So a €350 car has charges of €200.

However, this time they want the original passport and Nie document to take to Trafico in Almeria and my friend is a bit concerned that they will have his originals, although from what I can see from information on the internet, that has always been the case so I don't know how it wasn't required the previous two times. Maybe he could have a certified copy from the Guardia or his local town hall but that's more rigmarole.

I remember when we did something with change of address we had to present original documents at Almeria ourselves, so it seems obvious that your representative would have to do the same.

I think I'll not get involved in trying to help people in future. lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Transfer of secondhand car between friends

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 am

Verified copies with a Policia stamp are usually acceptable. Normal charge of between 5 and 10 Euros.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:26 pm

I am having the very same problem selling Campo Steve's car. He is in the UK and the Gestor wants original passport and NIE, which Steve is reluctant to post over. Going round in circles at the moment!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:06 pm

I've just had a Noterised copy of both accepted without question, see if that will do, just a thought.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:48 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:I am having the very same problem selling Campo Steve's car. He is in the UK and the Gestor wants original passport and NIE, which Steve is reluctant to post over. Going round in circles at the moment!
What car is it? I am looking

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:11 am

If it was me doing it for myself I would be happy enough to let the Gestor or Asesoria have the passport and Nie as they have to make an appointment at Trafico and present them as your representative. They would only have it for the day so I can't see a big problem. Of course, in ajtg's case it's a bit different as Steve is in UK.
What I don't understand is how the Asesoria managed it before - I suspect he had friends in the local police and got the copies authorized but in this current case the buyer is in the next village so a different police station I think.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it