bargaining tools/ tipswhen buying secondhand car.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

bargaining tools/ tipswhen buying secondhand car.

Postby olive » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:55 pm

We are looking at getting a second car so no trade in.

Looking to spend around 12 to 15k. so suspect it won't be from a main dealer. In the Uk I would be quite happy buying from a private seller but we didn't have a great experience here with our last car.

So not liking to pay the advertised price for a car what can I expect to achieve? e.g Cost of transfer to be included in the price? 5% discount? Free guarantee (warranty) included? No reduction this is Spain?

I have also noticed some outfits advertise the price without IVA which makes it look great value. Is this a normal thing and for some individuals they can claim their IVA back though their business or is it like the building trade i.e. no one is paying IVA.

Funnily enough having narrowed the car down to a specific model, fuel type, transmission type and so on the best one by far is in Murcia (four hours drive away) but is a private sale. Is there an equivalent in Spain of getting an AA man to have a look at a car for you for a fee?