Import costs.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Import costs.

Postby suzyq » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 am

In the UK I have a 7 year old Kia sport age, 23000 miles and in very good condition. It is of course rhd .part exchange offers are pathetic so I am considering bringing it to spain. Any ideas of costs involved in registering on Spanish plates and altering lights ? Are there any other modifications I would need to make. The car is 2 litre petrol engine. Thanks

dxf
Resident

Re: Import costs.

Postby dxf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Hola

Allow for around 650€ plus headlights and rear lights - may be cheaper and make sure you do it within 60 days of getting your Padron

Davexf

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 am

I think it must be within 30 days of bringing the vehicle into the country, to qualify for the reduced import tax.
Make sure you do it through an experienced gestor, who should know how to move the paperwork through quickly, and in a way that obtains the reduction.

It has been reported that, even if the application is filed within the time period, the paperwork can get put 'on the spike' until the 30 days is up, it then being the "processing" date that is used to determine the reduced cut-off. Hopefully that is not true.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 am

It is 60 days from the date of becoming resident, generally accepted as the date you sign onto the Padron.

Ley 38/1992 Article 65. 1d

Incidentally, if you do not claim this exemption, the tax would be about €400 on this particular vehicle.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am

TorreDelAguila wrote:I think it must be within 30 days of bringing the vehicle into the country, to qualify for the reduced import tax.
It has been reported that, even if the application is filed within the time period, the paperwork can get put 'on the spike' until the 30 days is up, it then being the "processing" date that is used to determine the reduced cut-off. Hopefully that is not true.
Hola

No it is not true; BUT it is down to you to get to the tax office with the correct paperwork within 60 days of the date of issue on the Padron. It is the tax office that determines whether or not you have to pay the "import tax"

Davexf

ps sorry took a long time to answerfrom start to finish as I was interrupted so Sid's post came up while I was doing mine

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for that - much appreciated. I do not intend to become resident - I usually spend about four months a year in Spain in 2 to 3 week holidays. I currently have a Spanish registered car in my name which I have parked near the airport at one of the garages there. This works well but that car is now over 10 years old and I may consider replacing it with the Kia. Thanks again

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks for putting me right on the 60-day rule. Spain moves slowly in the right direction, again!
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 pm

El Cid wrote:It is 60 days from the date of becoming resident, generally accepted as the date you sign onto the Padron.

Ley 38/1992 Article 65. 1d

Incidentally, if you do not claim this exemption, the tax would be about €400 on this particular vehicle.

Sid

How did you work out £400 'import tax'?

My Merc could due with replacing and I was contemplating getting something in the UK to bring over if it's financially viable.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:54 pm

You get the current value of the car from the tax office. Then you look up the CO2 emissions, and depending on what band it falls into, that determines the tax rate that you pay.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Is this something that can be done online?

Right now I just want to find out what I might expect to pay to bring in say a 5 year old Range Rover.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Give me the exact details (date, model, submodel) and I will have a look for you.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks Sid, this would be the sort of ballpark model:-

Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7 TD V6 HSE 5dr!! 2008 !!
Regards

Bob