Buying a 2nd hand car, what's the process here?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying a 2nd hand car, what's the process here?

Postby MauriceW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:48 am

My own foreign car broke down and cannot be fixed anymore. I need to get me another. I checked milanuncios.es and found one.
But how's the process here in Spain to get the car registered on my name? I live in the campo with no real address. When do you pay? Can it be paid in cash or what? (I heard that carrying more than EUR 2500 is (becoming) illegal here?) Is it safe to buy a 2nd hand car from a person?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying a 2nd hand car, what's the process here?

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Make sure you get a gesture to do paperwork otherwise you will inherit all the parking fines etc. I would go to a dealer if I was you.
How did you get around your address problem on your previous car?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Maurice, by gesture, he means gestor.
Costakid, his broken down car is registered at a foreign address. :silent:
More questions than answers.... :wink:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Thats spell CHECKER MIRO. Your a bit picky. Having a bad day. The guy doesn’t actually say his car is registered overseas. He says my foreign car. That could because he drives a Mercedes which is made in Germany not Spain.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to correct you and guessed it was a spell checker, but not being picky, just thought he might not actually know what a gestor is - not everyone does.
And yes, he could mean it's not a SEAT, but unlikely.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Who said anything about a SEAT.?

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Nobody - apart from me. But nobody (apart from Costakid) said anything about Mercedes either. Until the OP comes back, we can only try to read between the lines. "My own foreign car" probably means a foreign registered car. Or it could mean a car that's not made in Spain (which could be a German made Mercedes), or it could mean a car that's not a Spanish brand, which would only rule out SEAT. But "how's the process here in Spain to get the car registered?" seems to corroborate my first assumption, since he appears not to have any experience registering a Spanish registered car in his name. Hence my reply to "How did you get around your address problem on your previous car?" I might be being presumptive, but was I being picky? I apologise if it seemed so. It just seemed the most obvious explanation to me.

MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MauriceW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies :-). Yes, my car is indeed foreign registered. I'm not resident and stay just a couple of months per year here. Now I wanna have a new car, and leave it here when I'm not here. I understood you don't need to be resident to be able to own a car. I think that the message is clear to go visit a gestor or go to a dealer, right?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm

I think that would be wise. There's some info (in English) here https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit ... 4-2016.pdf that may help, but you would probably find it easier to buy from a dealer or use a gestor. If you let us know your location, someone in your area may be able to recommend one if you don't already have one. Good luck.

MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MauriceW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Alright, good advice, thanks. I'm in the Fuengirola area (Málaga). Maybe someone knows a reliable gestor?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:47 am

Tbh i if you are going to buy from a dealer,ie a branded one not a one man band (best bet if its new to you ) then i wouldnt think you need a gestor as they will do everything for you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:47 am

Mira, Understood. You were right, I was wrong. It is indeed a Foreign registered car.
Do we know if its a foreign car tho. Ha HA.