Car to breakers yard. How does it work in Spain?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car to breakers yard. How does it work in Spain?

Postby MauriceW » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 pm

My car, which is registered in Germany, broke down here in Spain.

It's way too expensive to get it fixed again, and it's not worth it anymore. So basically the car's dead and I need to get it to a breakers yard. :cry:

But how's the process here in the Malaga area if they need to pick up the dead car?
Are there English speaking breaker yard people in the Malaga area?
How and when do I get my safeguard (is that the correct English word) when they pick it up?
Is it going to cost me? Or is the rest value enough to pay for the transportation costs?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car to breakers yard. How does it work in Spain?

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 pm

I think (I am not 100% certain) that in order to "officially" scrap a car, you normally need to register a "baja definitiva" - i.e. to de-register the vehicle. Without this paperwork, an official scrap yard probably will not accept the car. However, you can only register a baja definitiva in Spain, on a Spanish registered vehicle. Perhaps if you officially de-register the car in Germany, you can then get a scrap yard here to accept it, with the German paperwork. Or perhaps they will happily take it without any paperwork, but I doubt it.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MauriceW » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Miro, in Germany you must FIRST bring the car to a scrap yard and get an official 'certificate of destruction'. With that you THEN can deregister the car. So, if they do it the other way around here, it looks like a problem, right?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Take it to a scrap yard and give it away. They will take it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 pm

If its German send the plates back.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 pm

I have scrapped two cars here in Spain. One was on UK plates and ne was on Spanish plates.

Collected with their grua was free and no cash changed hands. The other was driven to the yard and a princely sum of 100 euros received . In both cases they provided the paperwork and the process was smooth. I was unimpressed at the town hall to find circulation tax was refunded only in blocks of 3months.

If you have any concerns contact the German vehicle licencing authority and ask what the process is. You wont be the first. Then send them the paperwork. Later check online that the vehicle no longer exists.