Low car tax - impuesto vehicular

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fyfin
Resident

Low car tax - impuesto vehicular

Postby fyfin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 pm

I had a bit of a surprise when I received my first car tax invoice here in Turre. It was a new car last April, a Renault Captur petrol and only 900cc but the garage paid €41 for the first year and I have the receipt to prove it. However the invoice I received for this year is for only €15 and none of my friends had ever heard of anyone paying as little as that.

Is there anywhere I can find out whether this could be correct as I know it depends on emissions ratings etc. I did ask at the town hall but they just said if that's what Trafico have issued then it must be right.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Low car tax - impuesto vehicular

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi fyfin,

Have a search "impuesto vehiculos de traccion mecanica tarifa Almería 2017" ............or similar

Shows up the Rates if I substitute Jaén for Almería

That's almost 50cc Moto rates............... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow. I'm impressed. I didn't even know they made a 0.9t ... I bet your insurance is a lot cheaper too, than a 2.0L for example?

That's very interesting, I'm looking at a new car and I've driven a few of those, they seem nice enough, how do you find it space wise in the back?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 02, 2017 4:38 pm

fyfin wrote:they just said if that's what Trafico have issued then it must be right.
IVTM has nothing to do with Trafico. It is a municipal tax administered by the Town Hall. It is based on Fiscal Horsepower (effectively the cubic capacity) of the engine. It varies from place to place but the basic tax is decided by central government for each tax band but the municipality can increase that figure by up to 200%.

The tax has not caught up with emissions, which are used for the first registration, tax but not (yet) for road tax. It clearly favours small turbo petrol engines which are becoming increasingly common.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Thank you Sid - that was what the town hall guy told me. I got the feeling he didn't want the hassle in getting involved. I'm going back armed with all the car's paperwork as I know it should be €41 and I don't want complications down the line. He seemed amazed that I wouldn't just pay the €15. Spanish_lad it's all about reducing engine size these days and turbo boosting . The car itself is great for me as I love a high seating position but I do feel it is under-powered, certainly compared to my old 2 litre Honda CRV. You need to use the gears a lot .
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 am

Have to agree that there seems little logic to ITVM rates - I have just had the bills for my 2.9TDi Terrano (sold with my house but was mine on 1st January) and my Toyota Auris Hybrid (complete with 'ECO' badge from Trafico) and both are equal at €86.33. This is the Comares rate. I have yet to discover what happens now I have moved to Murcia - will the payment made in Comares cover it? Will Los Alcázares charge me as well? Who knows.......!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.