URGENT CAR Yellow Warning Light & ITV URGENT!!!

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: URGENT CAR Yellow Warning Light & ITV URGENT!!!

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:41 am

john the baptist wrote:Thanks Gerry and thanks everyone.

Ive run out of time as the ITV is tomorrow, so will let everyone know tomorrow what happened.

May I please ask in everyone's opinion do you think it will pass or fail simply for this light on???

Im looking to buy a diagnosis machine so that I can try to switch these light off myself. I believe you can get a basic one that will do the job fairly cheaply. I paying a fortune anyway at the diagnostic center to reset these lights.

So PASS or FAIL what do you think????
You can buy a small bluetooth ODB reader for under 10 euros. Loads of phone apps that read and interpret the data. Works really well also giving real time data as well as fault codes.Or a hand help unit for under 30 euros, can't remember exactly what I paid but it was cheap. Got mine from Banggood

Check that your car supports it tho' as having bought these gadgets found out that my Merc M Class has a different plug to the standard. Connects to the Smart ok tho.
Regards

Bob

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:51 am

thanks Bob for the info, would you know of anywhere in spain (shop) that would sell this??? I need anything that will take this light off for the ITV. the car is not dangerous and we do less than 6000km a year.
Thanks again and Im going to do some research about this as Ive never heard of it. Cheers again.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 am

Sorry don't know anywhere in Spain as I wasn't really looking to get one. I was just browsing Bangood for toys and on noticing this thought I'd get one, especially since it was only 5 quid. Never know when it may be useful.

It generally takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Having said that for an addition couple of quid you can have it sent priority and that normally takes 1 - 2 weeks

https://www.banggood.com/HHOBD-ELM327-C ... mds=search

I guess whether you can reset the service light depends on the car. My Smart, and others on here you fiddle with buttons on the dashboard to reset it.
Regards

Bob

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:34 am

A few weeks ago my car failed because of a sensor warning light on the dashboard, the light has been permanently on for 5 years and the car passed all previous ITV tests, the tester told me that they now have to investigate .!
It cost me 20 euros to have the light removed and after another boring visit to the ITV station it passed with no problems, 3 days later the light came back on !

Regards,
Gordon

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 am

Good morning BENIDORM,
"It cost me 20 euros to have the light removed".............so what Fault Codes where showing....... :?:

For Members who read this Thread::

ODB II readers/scanners..........checkout car Make/model specific Forums for ones that actually work for your vehicle.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:43 am

Hi everyone. Just came back from Estepona with my son. THE CAR PASSED NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. the yellow light is still on but Ive for another 12 months and everything is fine. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. Im not sure if I was just lucky or it simply not a fail item. Car going great and everyone in Estepona are really nice. Its got a great air conditioned waiting room and 1000 times better than my near Algeciras center which is an nightmare because of the commercial and military vehicles. As you can image my family and I are very very pleased.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

John,
Good to hear that your car 'passed' ok :thumbup:
I hate taking my car for testing, although I have to say that the testing station staff have always been helpful and pleasant, but I always breathe a 'sigh of relief' when it's all completed..

Bon Dia Enrique,'
My warning light was the 'engine light', which as I said has been on permanently for about 5 years, but thanks for all of the info. that you've posted...most helpful .. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 pm

gerryh wrote: Yes retests, after a fail, are free.
Cheers
Gerry
The first retest is free. If you didn't fix it and just chanced taking it to a different tester, and it fails again, and you are going for a second retest then there is a small charge per item for them doing it. 2 or 3 euros per item that it failed on.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

BENIDORM wrote: Bon Dia Enrique,'
My warning light was the 'engine light', which as I said has been on permanently for about 5 years, but thanks for all of the info. that you've posted...most helpful .. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon
The engine management light is now an immediate fail and they will not test the emissions during the test, but they will carry on and test everything else.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 pm

OK I should have said " the retest after the initial fail is free" :crazy: :crazy:
Apologies for my poor English. :yawn: :yawn:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris