ITV for import No Sticker

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

ITV for import No Sticker

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm

I imported a 3 year old car and all registered and happy. However I realised my car does not have an ITV sticker. Legally I don't need to have an ITV on my car until it is 4 years old, so for now there is no need to have the sticker. However next year it will be 4 years old and should have a sticker for 2019 ITV expiry. So I emailed the ITV garage to explain I have no sticker. Their reply was the ITV I got was for an import. If I want a sticker I need to have the ITV done again (just a regular ITV) Are they trying it on so I have to pay again?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: ITV for import No Sticker

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:44 pm

When we imporrted our then 10-year-old UK car, a matriculation-ITV test was part of the replating process.
The surprise was that the newly-registered vehicle was then treated as 'new', and did not attract a further test until it was four years older!
Presumably that loophole has been put right...
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Presumably that loophole has been put right..."
AFAIK no!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:02 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:When we imporrted our then 10-year-old UK car, a matriculation-ITV test was part of the replating process.
The surprise was that the newly-registered vehicle was then treated as 'new', and did not attract a further test until it was four years older!
Presumably that loophole has been put right...
I think it has been closed. My Ficha Technica says the ITV is due in 2019

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 pm

So you have answered your own question paddy......?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks for your help but No I haven't answered.my own question. My original question is regarding how I get a sticker, that remains unanswered. The loophole that may have existed in the past about not needing a sticker until you need an ITV appears to have been closed.

I am still in the dilemma of not needing a sticker until 2018 but I don't need an ITV until 2019. Everybody else I know who imported a car got a sticker with the first ITV. I didn't and the garage want me to pay again for a normal ITV to get a sticker.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm

When I had a new windscreen fitted I just went to the ITV station where the car was last tested and asked for a new sticker and was given one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Mystery solved by a Picoleto I met.

You only get to have a sticker for an ITV performed after the car is 4 years old. So if you did your ITV before your car was 4 years old (through choice or being imported) the then no sticker. At the ITV you get your papers showing the date your next ITV is due. Then at the subsequent (2nd) ITV you get a sticker.

So if you did an ITV at 3 years 11 months you don't get a sticker but do get papers saying next ITV due until 5 years 11 months old. So you can legally drive a car that is 5 years 11 months old and not display any ITV sticker.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Wed May 09, 2018 4:31 am

The regs must have changed in recent years then PP. I had my last car tested 2 years ago, in the month before it was actually due to be tested, and I was given a window sticker just as normal.

Parilla

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am

your car was 3 yrs 11 months old? Maybe there is a cut off at say 3 yrs 10 months.....I will check

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 am

The ITV rules are about to change. In addition to more stringent emission tests you can now have the test up to one month in advance and retain the original date for your next test.

Sid

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am

The same happened me with my car last month. I marticulated over an 8 year old car, I went with the mechanic who originally brought it to the ITV station in Estepona. He showed them the paperwork, I had to show my passport and they issued a sticker, there and then.

oops, just seen this OP was Sept 17 never mind. :)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 am

On a slightly different note its just been announced that Northern Ireland haven't done an emission test on any diesel car for 12 years. They have been doing a visual smoke test. This info is from their government.