Renault Capture

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Manchesteral
Resident

Renault Capture

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Anyone have any thoughts, positive negative or whatever on the Renault captura. my missus is smitten !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renault Capture

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:38 pm

A friend has just bought a new one and loves it. There is a lot of competition in that sector. The latest addition is the SEAT Arona which is based on the new Ibiza. Nice car with more modern bits than the Captur which is an old car now.

VW have just announced the T-Roc which is the same car underneath. The other you should look at is the Peugeot 2008, but again an old design.

Whichever you buy, steer clear of diesels. The latest petrols are very good indeed. The small turbo petrol in the Captur is very good and their dual clutch auto box is also pretty good.

Everyone seems to be buying SUVs now, me included!

Sid

elusive
Resident

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am

Im really taken with the capture aswell. Really like the design.bigger than a car but not a full on suv type

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am

Much better to go for a DACIA model. They use Renault engines and are considerably cheaper than everything else.

Only kids worry about image and "old designs". Adults shouldn't worry about such trivial matters.

We are a Dacia Duster owner and so happy that we got current design before they change to a new design next year.
We've noticed that all the distinctive vehicles of past decades have been *beep* to now all look the same.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am

None of the mentioned are my cup of tea but I will say I drove a friends Dacia Duster back from France earlier this year and I was very very impressed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 am

You cannot really compare the two. The Duster is a great car, but an entirely different type of car. It's much more of an off road car and is also much bigger. It's a question of horses for courses. Another friend drives an Aston DB9 in the UK, but drives a Duster here, on my recommendation.

The Dacia Sandero Stepway is probably a better comparison.

If the OP's wife is looking for a car with a bit of flair, the other one worth looking at is the new Citroen C3 Aircross. You either love it or hate it!

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I was looking at a Kia stonic the other day, worthy contender at only 17k km0

Shame it's 23k on their "compulsory" PCP, or 19k if you pay cash.
- rip mum - gone but never forgotten x - :(

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm

We frequently travel in some friends' Duster. It is infinitely more comfortable and spacious than Captur.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 am

Having suffered two total dogs of Renaults and the, at best, indifferent service I would never have any car with a Renault connection again.
Modern Citroens have some funky designs, love them or hate them, but also have well documented longevity problems.
The only French cars I've been happy with are older, now, Peugeots e.g. 205, 206, 406.
I've been delighted with my Ford Fiesta ECO, though I'm an easy sell to Ford, having had multiple models over the years and no out of the ordinary problems.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 pm

El Cid wrote:Whichever you buy, steer clear of diesels. The latest petrols are very good indeed.Sid

Sid - What's your issue with diesels :?: A must up here in the campo especially if you need a 4WD and most of these SUVs have a decent ground clearance.

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't have an issue with diesels, it's just that they are rapidly going out of fashion. As a result second hand prices will be very low when it comes time to sell. In Spain the % of new diesel sales has at least halved in the last 6 months and similar (but less so) in the UK.

Take into account that the new small turbo petrol engines are just as powerful and have almost the same torque as the equivalent diesel, but are significantly cheaper and the consumption is getting very much closer. The new Renault turbo TCE petrols are a good example. The friend I mentioned who bought a Dacia 4X4 lives in the campo and has a tortuous track down a hill to his house. His Duster has the Renault TCE engine. If you are used to driving Diesels and the last petrol engine you drove was years ago, I think you would be amazed at just how good the turbo petrol option can be - I certainly was.

Most pundits in the UK suggest that the mileage break-even point is now about 15k miles per year or more to recoup the initial extra purchase cost from savings in fuel.

I had a diesel for 15 years and then changed to a small turbo petrol. It was a much better car to drive and I only do about 7k km a year.

Just because you live in the Campo does not mean that you need a diesel. Most larger SUVs have a 4x4 petrol option, although the smaller SUVs do not, diesel or petrol.

If the OP is even considering a Captur, it is clear that a large 4x4 is not on the wanted list. All it is is a small family car with extra ground clearance and a bit of bling and no 4x4 option. Judging by the huge sales that this sector is currently generating, it's what most people seem to want.

Sid

Return to “Cars, Bikes & Motoring”