Renault Capture

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Manchesteral
Resident

Renault Capture

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Anyone have any thoughts, positive negative or whatever on the Renault captura. my missus is smitten !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renault Capture

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:38 pm

A friend has just bought a new one and loves it. There is a lot of competition in that sector. The latest addition is the SEAT Arona which is based on the new Ibiza. Nice car with more modern bits than the Captur which is an old car now.

VW have just announced the T-Roc which is the same car underneath. The other you should look at is the Peugeot 2008, but again an old design.

Whichever you buy, steer clear of diesels. The latest petrols are very good indeed. The small turbo petrol in the Captur is very good and their dual clutch auto box is also pretty good.

Everyone seems to be buying SUVs now, me included!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am

Im really taken with the capture aswell. Really like the design.bigger than a car but not a full on suv type

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am

Much better to go for a DACIA model. They use Renault engines and are considerably cheaper than everything else.

Only kids worry about image and "old designs". Adults shouldn't worry about such trivial matters.

We are a Dacia Duster owner and so happy that we got current design before they change to a new design next year.
We've noticed that all the distinctive vehicles of past decades have been *beep* to now all look the same.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am

None of the mentioned are my cup of tea but I will say I drove a friends Dacia Duster back from France earlier this year and I was very very impressed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 am

You cannot really compare the two. The Duster is a great car, but an entirely different type of car. It's much more of an off road car and is also much bigger. It's a question of horses for courses. Another friend drives an Aston DB9 in the UK, but drives a Duster here, on my recommendation.

The Dacia Sandero Stepway is probably a better comparison.

If the OP's wife is looking for a car with a bit of flair, the other one worth looking at is the new Citroen C3 Aircross. You either love it or hate it!

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I was looking at a Kia stonic the other day, worthy contender at only 17k km0

Shame it's 23k on their "compulsory" PCP, or 19k if you pay cash.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm

We frequently travel in some friends' Duster. It is infinitely more comfortable and spacious than Captur.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 am

Having suffered two total dogs of Renaults and the, at best, indifferent service I would never have any car with a Renault connection again.
Modern Citroens have some funky designs, love them or hate them, but also have well documented longevity problems.
The only French cars I've been happy with are older, now, Peugeots e.g. 205, 206, 406.
I've been delighted with my Ford Fiesta ECO, though I'm an easy sell to Ford, having had multiple models over the years and no out of the ordinary problems.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 pm

El Cid wrote:Whichever you buy, steer clear of diesels. The latest petrols are very good indeed.Sid
Sid - What's your issue with diesels :?: A must up here in the campo especially if you need a 4WD and most of these SUVs have a decent ground clearance.

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't have an issue with diesels, it's just that they are rapidly going out of fashion. As a result second hand prices will be very low when it comes time to sell. In Spain the % of new diesel sales has at least halved in the last 6 months and similar (but less so) in the UK.

Take into account that the new small turbo petrol engines are just as powerful and have almost the same torque as the equivalent diesel, but are significantly cheaper and the consumption is getting very much closer. The new Renault turbo TCE petrols are a good example. The friend I mentioned who bought a Dacia 4X4 lives in the campo and has a tortuous track down a hill to his house. His Duster has the Renault TCE engine. If you are used to driving Diesels and the last petrol engine you drove was years ago, I think you would be amazed at just how good the turbo petrol option can be - I certainly was.

Most pundits in the UK suggest that the mileage break-even point is now about 15k miles per year or more to recoup the initial extra purchase cost from savings in fuel.

I had a diesel for 15 years and then changed to a small turbo petrol. It was a much better car to drive and I only do about 7k km a year.

Just because you live in the Campo does not mean that you need a diesel. Most larger SUVs have a 4x4 petrol option, although the smaller SUVs do not, diesel or petrol.

If the OP is even considering a Captur, it is clear that a large 4x4 is not on the wanted list. All it is is a small family car with extra ground clearance and a bit of bling and no 4x4 option. Judging by the huge sales that this sector is currently generating, it's what most people seem to want.

Sid

blancoman

Postby blancoman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Anyone have any thoughts, positive negative or whatever on the Renault captura. my missus is smitten !
We bought Tce Auto 1.2 (petrol), in July 2016, brilliant in every respect, great for the campo with its high clearance, and very quick if you need it. It has more gadgets than you can wave a stick at. Thoroughly recommended. Blancoman.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Note your comments on the s u v's sid iv'e been using Range Rover and Nissan Patrols for over 20 years but my wife can't (or doesn't feel comfortable with big cars.
We are going to take a look at a capture next Wed so we'll see !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm

I have had a few trips in my friends Captur and really is nice. My only comment would be that it feels more like a raised up hatchback (which it is) than a more conventional SUV. I have recently bought a SEAT Ateca which is based on the Leon/Golf and as it is bigger and taller than the smaller SUV/crossovers, does feel more like a conventional SUV.

I will be interested to hear your comments. It is no longer an easy decision as there are a now a huge number of recent additions to the various SUV categories. The SEAT Arona is worth a look and if you decide on something a little larger, the new Skoda Karoq has just arrived. I sat in one yesterday and it is a very nice car, very similar to the SEAT Ateca as they are both built by Skoda.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Comments noted sid, problem is my wife want's a "small car" That feels like a "big car" ??? bear in mind that she is female !! and therefore logic does not compute !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Another couple of contenders you should look at are the Citroen C3 Aircross and the Peugeot 2008.if you are prepared to up the ante, look at the new VW T-Roc or the Audi Q2. These are all really interesting new additions but some may be difficult to find unless you are happy to wait for a factory order.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes, we are also planning to look at the T roc, I will come back with my reviews sometime next week !

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Definition by a leading Auto Magazine of the Renault Captur - just a Renault Clio with a elaborate skin.

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm

A similar description could be applied to almost all the latest small SUVs. A Tiguan is a Golf in a different skin. There is a bit more to it as they all have higher ground clearance and a higher driving position. There is one fact for certain, they are far and away the fastest growing car segment at the moment.

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 am

If I may throw in my tuppence on the diesel/small turbo petrol etc debate (although I have no need for ground clearance)...

I had the Megane 1.2 Tce through October on hire and, for a small engine in a moderately large car, it took the uphill ramp and onto the A7 at 120 all in its stride and nipping past slower joiners and tucking in before the Audi-Merc types get furious nicely. The turbo whine is noticeable above 2500/3000 revs and I wondered if it might bother me on a long trip. However, if considering a Juke, I'm just finishing a month with the 1.2 Micra which Nissan decided to supercharge rather than turbo. As expected, also handles the A7 join with plenty in reserve. However, a couple of days ago, somebody pulled into the middle lane right in front of me and immediately dropped to 80. I moved into the outside, put it into 3rd (of 5) and stepped on it. It went to 120 through the gears with the most HORRENDOUS cabin-filling whine I thought it might blow up before I could pull back over. I didn't know it was supercharged and I dropped back to 100 and feathered it to J222, accompanied by a slightly reduced agonizing-death sound.

Back to normal once rested and no damage done but that noise was abominable and I'm no stranger to 50-80 (old money) through 3rd to 5th in anything from a one-litre NA engine upwards. I hope it was a one-off - although only 20,000kms who knows what a hire car's suffered - but if that's standard Nissan then a Juke would be off my shortlist.