Importing a car; what's the best order of biz?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Importing a car; what's the best order of biz?

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm

El Cid wrote: The tax office publishes a very long list of all cars with their emissions % and original price.

Sid
Is this list accessible on-line. I'm contemplating buying a car from a dealer in Gib as it's a good price and low mileage. However Import duty (or registration) may make it not financial worth while. But I need to get hold of ballpark figures to see if the sums work.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm

https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?i ... 2017-15284

The tax rates are based on the emissions as follows.

CO2 emission of less than 120g/Km = 0% of the vehicle value
CO2 emission of between 120-160 g/Km = 4.75% of the vehicle value
CO2 emission of between 160-200g/Km = 9.75% of the vehicle value
CO2 emission of more than 200g/Km = 14.75% of the vehicle value

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks Sid. Bit more searching after my post and I found these numbers, along with the original price of the car. So I'm getting there.

What I'm missing, and this could be a deal breaker is whether VAT needs to be paid on a car imported from Gib. In the EU but weird tax status.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Gibraltar is in the EU but not in the customs union and does not have VAT. The normal rule about importing cars into Spain is that there is no VAT to pay if it has already been paid in another EU country.

I do not know the answer on this but it sounds like it could be a very tricky and expensive process. I would just buy in Spain.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Not tricky as I would get my Gestor to do it all, apart from the ITV which would fall to my local garage. I made a decision within a few months of moving here, that is never tangle with be Spanish administration when you can pay someone to fight the fight for me.... I have lived a very frustration free life ever since..

Buy Spanish??? If I could find the car I wanted at a reasonable price then I would..
Regards

Bob

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes the Gestor can handle all the registration once you have the documents but I wish your Gestor luck with the homolgation process. All Non EU cars have to get it. ....getting a ficha technica is difficult enough with an EU car. So if. Gibraltar car needs Homolgation allow 4k EUR according to what I have read elslewhere.

FYI
Homologation (homologación) is the procedure whereby vehicles are made to comply with certain safety and other requirements before they can be registered. A vehicle imported from a country outside the EU must undergo homologation and must be certified by the manufacturer or an officially recognised laboratory and undergo a test before it can be registered in Spain. It’s a long and complicated process and the information demanded by the regional authorities often varies with the region of Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 pm

But Gib is in the EU........?
If the car is in a dealer, rather than a private sale then surely they will have done many similar deals and be only too happy to discuss the process. Years ago my builder went from Comares to the Netherlands and bought a VW, seemingly with no problems, but it was a new car not a used one.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 pm

But there is no VAT in Gibraltar so completely different process to buying in another EU member state.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:54 pm

peteroldracer wrote:But Gib is in the EU........? . .
Yes but it’s not in the customs union, hence the delays and searches at the border and the limits to what you can bring into Spain.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

We legalised a car from Gibraltar. My Grandfather had it, bought in the days when it was ok to run around with Gib plates. It was a nice Mercedes with 3200 miles only on the clock when he died. I remember it took time and hassle. A Gestor did the complicated stuff and there were reams of paper. It was costly but I got the car for nothing so no bother. I remember taking it for it's test, failed on some small issue. Was a nice feeling when I took the documents to have the new Spanish plates on.

I wouldn't recommend buying one in Gib. If it were simple and not costly more would do it.