car sales

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

car sales

Postby Nicknjh23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 pm

anyone selling a decent car?????

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: car sales

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Bentley sell decent cars.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 am

:D . A little more info would be helpful, 2nd hand, I assume - how far can you travel to view? What sort of price range etc. A seller moderately close to Frigiliana is Axar-cars (dotcom). I was considering one or two of theirs and somebody else on here had heard good word of them, but I ended up buying from my side of Malaga.

You've got something right very quickly (IMO/IME). Find the right seller, then consider their cars. I took Oct-Dec and ended up with something I hadn't planned on to begin with but I'm pretty confident I got a non-pup from someone decent.

Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicknjh23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you for the replies. We’re looking for a medium car around 6-7000€.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am

Hows about:

https://www.milanuncios.com/cosegunda-m ... =nches-de-

put in your own filters

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Axar-cars is right around that price point. I don't know how established you are and comfortable in Spanish, so it may be an advantage that they're native English speakers. For me, a plus was that the cars had service history (fairly uncommon here in that bracket) and there wasn't a loaded up price for dealing with newbie Brits. Milanuncios was something I checked every day over the two months and where I did finally get my car. Please have a read of Olive's "Any way of checking a vehicle's history?" thread in this section to save repetition (I write too much verbiage already).

Carfax is quite useful. Some descriptions (actually most) are "optimistic" or downright lies when you check the background and saved me some wasted trips. I imagine it's even more necessary to discard the chaff where you are. Do you have a hire car in the meantime?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am

I would check out the car hire companies as they change their fleet on a regular basis and simply because they have to move them on they may be reasonably priced.
I just had a look at usedcars.malagacar.com/car-sales/#cars
For example they have a 2105 renault clio 41k price €8990 which seems reasonable price to me, all cars guaranteed for 1 year.
You can check all the options as there is a scroll list, i think all companies do this.
I don't expect these cars are really treated too much worse than normal cars, you probably be better avoid the ones i hire as i do not treat cars very well.

Hope this helps.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

We bought our current Smart car from Malagacarhire near the airport. Good price and they handled all of the transfer process. A delight to do business with.
Regards

Bob

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

You might also have noticed a lot of Bill Brady classified ads in Sur in English, Euro Weekly News. Also has a website; tends towards the €9000+ market but does have lower priced cars. Marbella is a bit of a trek for you but he's been going for as long as I can remember and my neighbours below (I recently found out) got a Focus off him a few years back and were happy that they hadn't been sold a pup.

Apart from keeping a regular onion peeled on Milanuncios (the Coches website and others do sometimes have cars not featured there, also) it might just be worth contacting, indeed visiting, Axar and Brady. They might not have what you're looking for but, if you get the right feeling about them, leave your details and requirements. They're in a better position to source and check (and, of course, add on their margin). You could be in for a long haul; I hired for mid-Oct to mid-Dec and made it with a couple of days to spare before the big Christmas hike in rentals.

A couple of things (sorry if I'm teaching you how to extract albumen by inhalation); cars 4-10 old are tested every 2 years, annually after that but make sure that a Kangoo/Partner vehicle isn't classified as a commercial because it'll need testing every six months. If an ad doesn't mention ITV (MOT), don't be surprised if it has none - even from a professional.

And beware of the Milanuncios ads featuring (usually) VAG cars with temptingly (but not stupidly) low prices and a Gmail contact but no mobile. After exchanging a lot of poop about how serious and honest you both are, the seller will suggest you send over 50% and you'll be met at a bar somewhere with the seller ready to hand over the keys for the other 50%. At that point, you think "Damn! How much of my life story have I swapped with this scammer?" Don't ask me how I know this :oops:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 pm

I Knew Bill back in the nineties when I was ensconced in Calahonda for a while, I believe he and his missus (whose name I forget) were known as the "car couple" They had a good reputation, still going then ?

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Looks like. Ads in EWN still prominent

Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicknjh23 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:55 am

1bassleft wrote:Axar-cars is right around that price point. I don't know how established you are and comfortable in Spanish, so it may be an advantage that they're native English speakers. For me, a plus was that the cars had service history (fairly uncommon here in that bracket) and there wasn't a loaded up price for dealing with newbie Brits. Milanuncios was something I checked every day over the two months and where I did finally get my car. Please have a read of Olive's "Any way of checking a vehicle's history?" thread in this section to save repetition (I write too much verbiage already).

Carfax is quite useful. Some descriptions (actually most) are "optimistic" or downright lies when you check the background and saved me some wasted trips. I imagine it's even more necessary to discard the chaff where you are. Do you have a hire car in the meantime?

Thank you. We bought a car from Alan at Axar-Car. Nice man, great car and a pleasure to do business with.
Cheers
Nick

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

Wow, :D . First time I think I've been of any use here. That could all change in a few months, of course, but I liked the way their site was set up and seriously considered them. I had a look after I'd posted my reply; did they have something suitable on there or did they source something more specific to you? Not asking you to give out details, just curious (and a "good exp" story is handy for others in the same boat).

Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicknjh23 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I had contacted Alan and he didn’t have what I wanted and told me he one coming in the next week or so ( Ford Focus 1.6 tdci estate). It arrived. I went and viewed and bought it. I’m very happy and would definitely use him again. He also made me feel that should I have any problems at anytime he would more than happy to help.

Highly Recommended