Car insurance refund

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
JAKE M
Resident

Car insurance refund

Postby JAKE M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 am

Hi folks. I am about to renew my linea directa car insurance. The probababilty is that we will return to the uk before the year is up. Does anyone know if they offer refunds for unused complete months?
When my renewal letter comes in, I will ask them but anyone with ld cancelation experience ?
Thanks in advance
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

wisden
Tourist

Re: Car insurance refund

Postby wisden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

NO THEY DON'T - I found this out this morning after renewing my policy in January. Also, you should note that Direct Line in the UK do not accept no claims from Spain!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Lídia Directa has no connection with Direct Line in the UK.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I feel sure there would be a refund I think most insurers do subject to conditions.

I had a car insurance refund from my broker when we cancelled our Tradewise car insurance last August, 6 months into the policy, it was paid within a few days and likewise here in the UK with LV when we changed cars recently, 7 months in, refund issued immediately.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info people. I knew ncb earned in spain is not normally recognised in the uk. Also that Linea direct are not connected to direct line but I will now shop around before renewing with ld to a company who will offer a refund (if they exist!)
I will post again if I find a company. Thanks again

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Make sure you give yourself enough time to cancel your policy. I believe it used to be 2 months but is now one month by law. They may cancel your policy after that time but they can refuse if they want

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I was with LD for years, before moving back to the UK June last year.
They do NOT issue refunds for unused policies, BUT: you can opt to pay your new premium quarterly, and then just cancel the policy when you no longer need it - so the most you'll lose would be 3 months' worth. Ring them up and explain that's what you want to do (and why if you like - they have no problem with you doing that) At the same time, request a NCB certificate. They will only issue one for a maximum of five years (apparently by Spanish law), which is a real b*mmer - but you'll need it when you take out insurance in the UK. I trawled the web for UK insurers who would accept Spanish NCB, and came up with Aviva and nobody else. Because I could not prove that I had over 15 years without a claim, my premium with them is roughly double what I was paying LD in Spain :(
If you are thinking of bringing your Spanish car to the UK & selling it here, I'll be happy to share my experience (and any other questions you may have about returning, of course)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks elusive, I'll cancel in good time.
Meantime, I have been quoted by Abbeygate(broker) Using Tradewise insurance. They will offer a refund or their Abbeygate uk branch(same firm) or will offer the refund against their quote for my UK car. they also recognise ncb built up in Spain. Well Their actual words were yes, "we will take any built up NCB into consideration"

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Miro. Just read your topic on paying quarterly. good idea. I'll be selling the car here in Spain but thanks for the offer of advice.

brentles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brentles » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Miro wrote: If you are thinking of bringing your Spanish car to the UK & selling it here, I'll be happy to share my experience (and any other questions you may have about returning, of course)
Hi Miro, I'm thinking of buying a Spanish registered car in England to drive me and some boxes of stuff to Spain, keeping it for about 6 months and then selling in Spain. Would be interested to hear your opinion? Cheers.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Have you checked out the cost of simply having the boxes shipped down to Spain? Unless there's a compelling reason to buy a Spanish reg car in the UK, which considering your thought of then selling it fairly soon again, it doesn't sound like there is, it may just make more sense, logistically and financially, to ship them.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.