Linea Directa

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gerrynag
Resident

Re: Linea Directa

Postby gerrynag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:23 pm

elusive wrote:

By law they have to give you two months notice if they are increasing your premium
What law is that ?
Surely it does not apply when you renew?
I normally get my renewal notice about 3 or 4 weeks before, (similar to UK).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Yes the laws about renewing. As you say good luck trying to get your quote within the time frame

Same law where you have to give them a months notice if you want to leave. (Used to be two) they have to give you two months notice if they are going to increase it.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Heard a guy down the pub sort of story and wanted to know if there is any truth. The guy down the pub in question is an agent for another insurance company so I am somewhat sceptical as he has a vested interest but did want to see if anyone can confirm or deny his story

He tells me that LD charge your excess up to 5 times. Saying that your car has 5 sides (including the roof).
So basically if you have a 500 excess and you write your car off in an accident of your own fault you pay 2500 EUR
Or if you hit the side and the front you pay EUR 1000

I can't find anything in my policy about it. Is this total rubbish?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Almost certainly rubbish. It would have to be in the policy document for it to be true and by now someone would have posted an example on the Internet or Facebook.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm

elusive wrote:Yes the laws about renewing. As you say good luck trying to get your quote within the time frame

Same law where you have to give them a months notice if you want to leave. (Used to be two) they have to give you two months notice if they are going to increase it.
Anything in the law will be over-riden by what the policy says unless it against the law, such as having a 3 month cancellation clause..

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am

I had read on here about the notice required, which was why I was expecting my renewal notice in good time. I had to leave for the UK, but got back to an empty letterbox. The letter's dated 23/11 (I got it 27/11) so no chance to decline within the 1 month thing. It lists my credit card (which I used last year) and, failing that, my Spanish bank a/c (don't remember giving that but I must've, because they know it) as their ports of call to remove money.

As it turns out, I have found a policy very slightly cheaper than last year and considerably cheaper than the renewal quote (interesting but diverting side note - the chap reckoned there's a std procedure to claims settlement; don't understand why LD were so coy about it). As I said, I accept LD can quote what they like, so long as I'm able to switch to someone more competitive. Typically, LD 'phoned (on both my Spanish and - how they knew it? - my UK number) while I was parking after signing up to a new provider. Didn't want another prang - LD voicemail said I have a new, very interesting quote waiting.

I don't like that kind of approach. I've sent an email declining any renewal and also asked my card co. to resist any withdrawal. Call me paranoid (applicable, I'm sure) but I found leaving Virgin Media like Cosa Nostra and don't want a repeat. If the money went out, I'd have endless fun trying to retrieve it, no doubt.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:15 am

Just to clarify - I also have no complaints about how my claim was handled by LD back in June; same hassle-free experience as others have mentioned (if anything, I actually prefer to know a little more, but car back, easy-peasy). Certainly, my XS was only deducted once; no "front door + rear door" trickery. My gripe is that, intentional or not, renewal time is off-puttingly cloak+dagger and I tend to go into "walk away" mode when treated thus.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 pm

1bassleft wrote:I had read on here about the notice required, which was why I was expecting my renewal notice in good time. I had to leave for the UK, but got back to an empty letterbox. The letter's dated 23/11 (I got it 27/11) so no chance to decline within the 1 month thing. It lists my credit card (which I used last year) and, failing that, my Spanish bank a/c (don't remember giving that but I must've, because they know it) as their ports of call to remove money.

As it turns out, I have found a policy very slightly cheaper than last year and considerably cheaper than the renewal quote (interesting but diverting side note - the chap reckoned there's a std procedure to claims settlement; don't understand why LD were so coy about it). As I said, I accept LD can quote what they like, so long as I'm able to switch to someone more competitive. Typically, LD 'phoned (on both my Spanish and - how they knew it? - my UK number) while I was parking after signing up to a new provider. Didn't want another prang - LD voicemail said I have a new, very interesting quote waiting.

I don't like that kind of approach. I've sent an email declining any renewal and also asked my card co. to resist any withdrawal. Call me paranoid (applicable, I'm sure) but I found leaving Virgin Media like Cosa Nostra and don't want a repeat. If the money went out, I'd have endless fun trying to retrieve it, no doubt.
The one notice you have to give doesnt count if they have put the price up without giving you two months notice. Go back to them and tell them that if they want to increase your renewal price they have to tell you at least two months before renewal which they havnt.

L.D told me they only send it out a month before but if you want to leave we wont stop you. ho hum...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 am

Thanks, elusive. I'm trying not to act like some conspiracy theorist and I'm sure nothing untoward is going on. I'm just trying to ensure I don't end up with two policies for one car because, in that situation, I know my language and "how it works here" knowledge will get severely tested. Funnily enough, I tried the customer service number again today and was almost giddy with getting through. I was even able to choose option 1, option 1, option 3.

"Linea Directa, Josef speaking, how can I help you?"
"Hello Josef, I'd like to discuss my insurance renewal premium."
"Hello."
"Yes, hello. Er, about my premium..."
"Hello?"
"Josef, can you hear me?"
"... Hello"
"Josef, please confirm you can hear me."
"..."

This is my life

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:55 am

El Cid wrote:Almost certainly rubbish. It would have to be in the policy document for it to be true and by now someone would have posted an example on the Internet or Facebook.

Sid
I found an example....but not LD. Liberty Seguros.

A friend with a very small excess was made to pay twice for some scrapes the length of the car when he clipped a wall. He did not bother fighting it as only 75 EUR excess. They told him they were separate claims as it was not one impact with the wall!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:19 am

elusive wrote:The one notice you have to give doesnt count if they have put the price up without giving you two months notice. Go back to them and tell them that if they want to increase your renewal price they have to tell you at least two months before renewal which they havnt.

L.D told me they only send it out a month before but if you want to leave we wont stop you. ho hum...
I again got cut off in mid-sentence with them, but Simyo does give me problems so not blaming it on dark forces at LD. Up to that point, much more interested in who'd given me a better deal (I declined to inform, this got him annoyed) and dissing of whoever that insurer might have been. I was, tbf, called back by Sarah who was charming and courteous but did basically the same thing. She then toyed with "we don't insist on the month's notice that - by law - you should have given us". You made me naughty, elusive, and I had a bit of fun pointing out their obligation (she was unsure if it also applied to them and I was happily sure to tell her it did) so that finished with "our cancellation dept will phone you on Monday".

Tuesday, the dept did call. Again, tbf, she was mostly concerned with whether I was leaving because of dissatisfaction (I really wasn't) and advised me to enquire with them in future renewals. Pleasantly (and I hope correctly) she said I'd just been unlucky this year and I'll doubtless build up a claim-free record that they can make a competitive quote on. I already have the email to confirm that I won't have another premium deducted if I sign and return in 30 days (but I will if I don't).

In short, I didn't have to go to court to change insurer but they're a little Mrs Doyle (Father Ted) on the persuasion to stay for my taste. Sorry it took so long (I mean my post, but it also applies to my attempt to switch insurer)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 am

I have just gone through my annual discussions with LD as we have two cars up for renewal. They have offered a special gift of one excess free claim in the year. My wife negotiated a reduction of €150 by removing the "free" gift. I spoke to them today about my renewal. I asked them to do the same for me. A nice young man agreed to €110 reduction to reduce it to the same premium as my wife's car. That seems a good deal as they are both less than 2 years old and mine is twice as powerful and cost 3 times as much!

She got a better deal as the house insurance is in her name. Overall €260 saved with two phone calls which were dealt with with no problems at all. We are now paying the lowest premium we have had in 18 years.

Sid

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Well done El Cid!
But I think that to be opaque in your pricing is a poor business model.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Possibly and it is a hassle, but they are a good company to deal with and their claims system is brilliant. Even better if you didn't have to knock them down every year.

Sid

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I know someone in the Insurance business and they say they have had lots of instances were people are getting big fines from different areas of Spain and it's not due to the cloning of number plates, they are trying to fight these fines but if you don't have this in your terms you have to pay your own legal fees, she told me to ensure you had cover for this it's called 'Gestion De Multas', anyone know if Linea cover for this?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes, Linea Directa covers Gestión de Multas´generally but it is an optional extra for motor cycles at about €10 per year.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:07 pm

elusive wrote:
The one notice you have to give doesnt count if they have put the price up without giving you two months notice. Go back to them and tell them that if they want to increase your renewal price they have to tell you at least two months before renewal which they havnt.
Seems relevant to quote myself here!
alpineSi wrote:I was an LD client for a year - never made a claim but noticed that the contract includes a paragraph saying the first year includes a discount only applicable in that year.
I wonder if legally, saying that your premium in Year 1 of 500€ that you pay is actually e.g. 550€ minus the discount of 50€, they can then 'increase' your premium to 550€ in Year 2 without being subject to the price increase clauses of the law because the premium itself hasn't gone up, the discount has just been removed?

bahiadecasares

Postby bahiadecasares » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:53 am

Crikey.... they seem high. I'm 29 and non resident. I only pay 725e per year with LD and around 250e excess. I bought a nearly new BMW estate (touring in spain) a couple of months ago and to be honest didn't look around as my parents used to insure with them when they lived there and always spoke highly of them. They originally quoted 875e and I did get one other quote which they matched after I emailed the other companies policy. So I didn't look any further.... Might be worth you doing the same. I pay more than this in the UK to insure a car... it's a bit like home insurance it's half the price here than that of the UK.