Accident with hired car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Accident with hired car

Postby Ambre Solaire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Unfortunately a 4x4 reversed into the drivers door on our hire car. The driver gave me all his documents driving licence insurance docs address phone no etc I also took photos of everthing including damage. I contacted Hire company who said bring documents in when you return the car - in 6 weeks ! I want to take the car back now to get it sorted. Is this usual ?

scotty
Resident

Re: Accident with hired car

Postby scotty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Who's the rental company ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 am

Normal practice to sort it when you return the car. We had a bike hit a rental car years ago and knock the wing mirror off, left flapping by the cables so I had to exchange it but rental company said i should have kept it. Must be a Spain thing. If its drivable and usable dont worry about it.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am

Depending on the company (and on or off-season) they can be quite relaxed about it if still driveable but also, if you're hating it, will exchange if you bring it in. Someone tried to force the lock on mine and, when I 'phoned the hire company, they were happy to leave it until return seeing as it didn't affect my day to day. OTOH, I just happened to be passing another time so pulled in and mentioned that the radio intermittently locked out. Did I want a replacement car? Heck no, it stopped Mrs Bassleft from blasting me with Malaga FM, but I could have. If you're fed up of driving a bashed vehicle around, just tell them so and ask for something else