How to value a car - in storage for 12 years.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Drfernandez18
Tourist

How to value a car - in storage for 12 years.

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi.
I have a car that I have had in storage for 12 years. It is UK Registered but LHD

Have someone interested in buying but have not got any idea how I would value it "as is " !

It has been stored in warm dry conditions, and been cared for in this time ( although not driven ) no leaks etc , still looks fantastic and has very low mileage.
Prior to storage the car had always been dealer serviced and have all relevant bills etc.
I have considered getting the car back on the road on Spanish plates then selling in Spain ( as it is LHD) but by the time I actually buy all the necessary to get it roadworthy including battery, tyres . rear fog light and drain and refill all fluids etc- then convert it, it may not be worth the effort.
Unfortunately, although I would love to, I now cannot drive the car myself due to a medical condition.

My car is an ALFA ROMEO SPIDER LUSSO - 1997
Lastly would I have a problem selling " as is "

Any advice for this lady please ? :)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: How to value a car - in storage for 12 years.

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Try looking on an Alfa Romeo/Spider owners' club site, or on Milanuncios - not the best of sites to buy from, but will give an idea of prices, as it lists 000's of cars.
Chris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi Drfernandez18,

Guessing the car is in UK...........Try contacting local Area rep of AROC.

https://www.aroc-uk.com/area-sections

Also look on Autotrader...........currently 66 listed
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Is it a convertible or hardtop ? Also is it in Spain or UK ? Prices will differ.

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Try looking on an Alfa Romeo/Spider owners' club site, or on Milanuncios - not the best of sites to buy from, but will give an idea of prices, as it lists 000's of cars.
Will do thank you !

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 pm

scotty wrote:Is it a convertible or hardtop ? Also is it in Spain or UK ? Prices will differ.
Hi Scotty,

It is a convertible and has been stored in Spain. :)

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Drfernandez18 wrote:
TorreDelAguila wrote:Try looking on an Alfa Romeo/Spider owners' club site, or on Milanuncios - not the best of sites to buy from, but will give an idea of prices, as it lists 000's of cars.
Hello,

Thank you I will try Owners Club site ! :)

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Drfernandez18,

Guessing the car is in UK...........Try contacting local Area rep of AROC.

https://www.aroc-uk.com/area-sections

Also look on Autotrader...........currently 66 listed
Hi Enrique,

Thank you but the car is in storage in Spain. :)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:15 pm

how much are you expecting to get for the car? Nice car but not worth a fortune especially as it needs work.

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Costakid,

I have absolutely no idea, that's why I am asking if anybody has any ideas to assist me. I totally agree it needs work - but have been told already that getting it on the road will not be hugely expensive. It has been suggested that once I get it back on the road I market it in Holland and Germany where there is a better second-hand market. I kinda wish it had a high mileage then I would be less bothered :? :? Between the devil and the deep blue sea as they say ! Anyway - thanks...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00 pm

That might involve looking into the relative costs of transportation and rematriculating in either of those countries, as any potential purchaser will deduct those costs before making an offer. Ironically, UK plates - which it already has - are one of the more straightforward and less costly; I have no idea what it would be like in Holland or Germany. Being in limbo here in Spain with UK plates and no MOT is probably more costly and headaching than the fettling required to be roadworthy. That said, convertibles have more appeal in northern Europe than southern. For this time of year, it might strongly appeal as a "winter project" - an Alfa that's been stored in sunny Spain, just needing some spanner work - that an "as is" sale could work out for the better.

EDIT: A thought occurs to me. Pentagon Motors in Spondon. They specialize in LHD and advertize all the time on Gumtree. Miro on here sold his LHD to them on his return to UK and Spanish Kid, I believe, has come across one of their buyers here on the ground. I would imagine transporting back is something they do all the time and LHD on UK plates would have appeal if you have paperwork to effect a smooth sale. I have no idea whether they would prefer your Alfa to be brought up to ITV/MOT standard or just trailered away, but they might be worth contacting. There is a very recent thread in this section that might be useful reading and/or you could PM me or try the other forumers mentioned for more info if you think it's worth pursuing.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=38811
is the relevant thread

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

1bassleft wrote: Spanish Kid, I believe, has come across one of their buyers here on the ground.

At least get my name right :lol:

You mean mark, one of pur customers ( no last name or number due to data protection laws) - hes their costa del sol buyer. Offers bargin basement prices in cash for cars and then ships them to a lhd centre in the uk. Good guy, but it depends what you need / are looking for.

Alfa.. Cabrio.. Hmmmm how much were you thinking? Im a beetle guy thru and thru.. But i hqve friends into classics...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

What is the mileage of the car?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Sorry Lad, I'm still a bit noob and only memorized a handful of monikers. I was typing from memory.

Not so noob, though, as to worry that this thread could spill over from "what's the best way" advice into "how much do you want" haggling and incurring the wrath of the moderators. Are PM enquiries allowed, or even noticed? I'm not in the market, just curious as to whether it's within da rules.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Yes, there is nothing to stop someone making an enquiry by PM. Messages are private and mods have no access to them. The only time the contents of a PM might be disclosed is if someone reported a PM under the forum rules and disclosed the content to a mod.

Sid