New Car v Used Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Car v Used Car

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:12 am

Devils Advocate wrote:You'd go for a Jag Mk2 3.8 MOD before an Ipace Sid, I know you would.
and so would I. 3.8 O/D box in Carmen Red.

I have just bought an E Pace.Over the moon with it. I suppose when this goes the next one will be electric.

VAG are developing a solar panel with no glass so ultralight for the roof. Its in development now, 500 km range at moment but by 2025 they reckon 1000 KM is achievable.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 am

Nice looking car the E pace, and the Jaguar trim always makes the car a nice place to be.

As for the 3.8, although there are many for sale sub 20k I reckon a fully sorted car will be closer to 50-60k. Wires or steels? lol
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:47 am

gerrynag wrote:Not sure if I really need 4wd, have only neede to use the 4wd on Galloper a couple of times, mainly down on river bed, however it has got large wheels with lots of traction.
That was our problem when considering changing our 4x4. Most of our track is cemented but on very odd occasions need the 4WD if we meet someone as it's incredibly steep or after very bad storms. We looked at the new SUVs already mentioned but the extra cost of the 4x4 version is so much more proportionally. Also the new cars tend to have more sleek sloping backs to them and we like the fact that we can get huge loads in the back of our car without even putting the seats down. The thought of putting tons of wood into the back of a brand new squeaky clean car is a bit daunting! Also the new SUVs all seem to have fairly small engines and we're used to the strength and torque of our 2.2l diesel.

We shall have to change it at some point, although it's just had a hugely expensive repair as the head gasket went so I'm hoping it will see us out a few more years. That's why we've bought me a 2nd little car for all my running around that I do and perhaps we can conserve the old 4x4 and keep it going a bit longer.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:17 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Nice looking car the E pace, and the Jaguar trim always makes the car a nice place to be.

As for the 3.8, although there are many for sale sub 20k I reckon a fully sorted car will be closer to 50-60k. Wires or steels? lol
Getting up to the £50K mark for a proper restored car. With wires of course.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:20 am

CK, yes easily 50k for a top car, more for concours.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 am

We are looking for a 5 seater van, mostly because of boot space and practability..OTH is a builder and also we have a campo property so mostly for practability..Difficult getting a used van with decent mileage and don't want something which will be parked in a garage for repairs..Would look at something else with a large boot space..any recomendations?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am

There are a few garages on the industrial estate at Velez that sell those type of Combi vans. If you walk around the part where all the main dealers are you see those vehicles for sale at non main agent car dealers.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm

You are right costakid...the vans in the non main dealers are either yrs old or high mileage and thats what we are trying to avoid..It might have to be a new van in the end..Thought about bringing one from Uk but i don't need the hassel or right hand drive on wrong side of road. :crazy: :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 pm

I right hand drive van cannot be put onto Spanish reg plates, it will always have to be UK plated and taken back to the UK every year for an MOT.
Also be aware that vans, without side windows, in Spain are regarded as commercial vehicles and if over 10 years old need an ITV every 6 months.
Have you considered a Citroen Xsara Piccasso?
They have 5 seats but the rear seats can be folded down or easily taken out for extra carrying capacity.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:06 pm

I have a Citroen Berlingo (Multispace) here in UK, but selected it purely on our experiences with it in Spain (as a hire). Its a comfy ride for 5 people, with a spacious boot & fold down seats. When we were at the casa, we'd go down to Leroys (or stop on the way up from the airport) & load up with all sorts of DIY supplies for projects at the casa. There are one or two design niggles, but I would definitely recommend it :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Was going to suggest a Berlingo (or Partner) with full windows, but was unsure how much van-space you needed.
Chris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Thank you Gerry, i never knew that..learn someting every day and just shows how useful the forum is with members who have lots of knowledge.
Chrissie/ Torre..we have a Berlingo here in Uk and although it dosen't have windows all round i know the one you both.are refering to..There seems to be way more all windows vans in Spain, especially in the area of Granada where we have the house.They look ok and also serve as a car which is what we also want..something we can use to load up or to carry passengers..The only draw back is the price of a new one compared to UK but that is something which is just a fact of life.I like the partner and the kangoo but having had a Reanault van from new it didnt do aswell as the berlingo so that one is a def No..We looked at the dacia dokker but.i dont know how it will fare on camoi tracks, it ia the cheapest of them all but not sure if it would be money well spent.I have looked on the ex car hire sales web sites such as malaga.com and there was only one or two vans but they had sold across them so it seems they are soon snapped up..Shame because they were 2yrs old with around 30,000 on the clock..

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 pm

If the Dokker is essentially a van version of the Duster, it will be a good car. Friends of ours have two of them (Dusters), one in the UK and the other out here. The latter tackles everything that campo and motorway can throw at it, as well as a corkscrew 1-in-5 long driveway up to their house. Really comfortable and spacious.

Lots of Dokker info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia_Dokker
Chris

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi all, thanks for all the replies although did go slightly off my question. Thanks El CID for the comparison site for new cars that is a great help.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Pamela1,
Have a look at the site Sid posted the other day...........

https://www.coches.com/coches-nuevos/

I checked out some Kangoo II prices and they look good if you're not wanting anything special.

Have a second hand Kangoo II past six years, only needed to service it.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks all. Enrique i did check out Sid's link to coches.com, very interesting. We are back over around Feb so plenty of browsing time for the next 2 mnths. When we were looking around garages a few weeks back the sales people said it was cheaper to buy on finance. One garage showed us the discounts for taking out finance and guarantees that we would not be entitled to if we bought outright. We did get a price on a Dacia Dokker although they didn't have one on show. i was only fishing at that stage.
I asked them about the total cost of the finance, they gave us figures for the minimum finance duration which was for 36mnths plus the deposit. The finance worked out at 346 euros..If that is the case then why do they go to such extremes to sell the finance and why don't they snap the hands off people who want to pay in full? Sorry but i don't know alot about car sales in Spain.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:36 pm

The discounts they give for taking a basic finance deal are way out of proportion to the cost of finance.

With the right deal you can get a couple of thousand or more off the price and a 4 year warranty and 4 years free servicing.

Don’t ask me how they can justify that financially but they wouldn’t do it if it cost them money.

It’s the best deal you are going to find on a new car.

Trust me, I have done it twice now and saved a lot of money.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 am

Sid, i was waiting for the catch! as you say it sounds like finance is the way to go on new car sales in Spain.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 am

We just bought a new car in June. I found carnovo.com useful, it's a great idea where official dealers blindly bid to sell you a car. We didn't buy via the site but specified the car and options we wanted, waited for the offers to come in then contacted a local dealer to see what he would match. Knowing what other dealers were prepared to do was definitely helpful in negotiating.

Regarding finance, I'm suspicious of any loan but it seems that the interest is basically the amount they discount from the cash price, so if the car is listed as 15k with finance at the end of four years you will have paid around 17k. However if you try to pay cash they'll bump the price up to 17k anyway!

So with the associated 5 year warranty, four year maintenance, one year free insurance and the rest of it (I think we have tyre insurance for >1 years too), financing just made sense.

Finance advice: They will try to add on insurance for the finance, things like loss of employment and loss of driving licence. If the dealer won't cancel these for you (apparently some refuse) just contact the finance people direct and they will. Also, if you opt to pay the commission for opening your loan upfront in cash, you'll save the amount of interest you would pay if these are rolled into the loan (as they are by default). More details in Spanish here: https://www.clubseatateca.com/threads/e ... cuota.239/ I only read that site after signing the finance but had enough time to e-mail and get the insurances cancelled; it saved around 500€ which was deducted from the loan, so good but definitely better if you can refuse before it's set up.

So in the end we bought new here - having never done so in the UK. The difference between new and used prices just didn't seem big enough to justify losing years of warranty and be out of step with the emissions schemes. Depends what you're buying I guess, but for the sort of small car we wanted it was clear. Even got a 700€ 'trade-in' for just showing them the paperwork of my old car which I then sold on for scrap, so combined, more than I would have got selling it privately.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

Pamela1 wrote:Sid, i was waiting for the catch! as you say it sounds like finance is the way to go on new car sales in Spain.
Maybe its a bit like DFS with suites. Say a 3 pice is £2000 with 4 years interest free, if you offer them £1900 up front they cant accept as then there offer is not interest free. They would breach consumer law because the next person would be paying £100 for the finance option.