New Car v Used Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

New Car v Used Car

Postby niraig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 am

Hi, just wondering on thoughts on new cars or a used car. We are looking for a family sized car and are really not sure where to start. Any info would be helpful

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Car v Used Car

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 am

Depending on what you want it sometimes looks a better deal to buy new as 2nd hand cars are a fortune in Spain. The only draw back is your new car will soon have marks on the body as the Spanish are on par with being the worst drivers in Europe. Some good deals on new at the likes of Kia etc.

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am

Yes we have seen all the bumps and scrapes. We have been looking at Kia’s online. Think that’s probably where we’ll start. Just need to find a dealer that’s easy to get to as we don’t have a car at the moment

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:04 am

Kia good; also check out the Dacia Duster - well worth a test drive.
Chris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am

Best to go and speak to the dealers as I know friends have managed to get good deals on new cars and the website never seems to show the actual price of a car. Most deals seem to involve taking out their finance though (which I didn't want) so I wasn't able to calculate the actual total price when I was looking online.

I ended up buying a second hand car from Malaga Car Hire (sales department is in Santa Barbara poligono in Malaga). They have a huge range of cars and most are under 3 years old if you want to spend less (my 2.5 year old car was about 40% less than a new one)
https://usedcars.malagacar.com/car-sales/#cars. I am very pleased with my purchase, it comes with a year's guarantee, they did a service before picking it up and repaired any marks in the paintwork so it looks like new.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 pm

New car because second hand cars tend to be unrealistically priced in Spain. I am now on my second Kia Sportage both bought new and in my opinion both good value.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:14 pm

The trouble with ex rental cars is they have 80 plus drivers in 2 years most of which are not used to left hand drive. Crunching gears and hitting kerbs. LOL
Last edited by costakid on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 pm

niraig wrote:Yes we have seen all the bumps and scrapes. We have been looking at Kia’s online. Think that’s probably where we’ll start. Just need to find a dealer that’s easy to get to as we don’t have a car at the moment
Kia at Torre Del Mar are nice people.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I got a good deal on a Toyota Hybrid from the dealer in Velez-Malaga, and am still impressed with the car over two years later.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 pm

I work at the airport all day long.. an ex hire car is not where i would be looking, i see them being driven :lol:

on the plus side the price is good and a years garentee cant be sniffed at.

Ive started to notice alot of companies / dealers offering finance with a deposit of 3k on a brand new car. ive been looking at mitsi, skoda, toyota.. some are even no deposit !!
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 am

costakid wrote: The trouble with ex rental cars is they have 80 plus drivers in 2 years most of which are not used to left hand drive. Crunching gears and hitting kerbs. LOL
I have had an ex rental car before and was very pleased with it which is why I've bought another, and I know of a number of people who have done the same without problems. Any second hand car comes with a risk that it has been driven badly and at least the hire cars have been cleaned regularly and have not had people smoking in them. It's unlikely they've been used to transport hairy dogs as well :lol: I hire cars regularly and drive them carefully and do not crunch the gears or bounce off curbs even when on the 'wrong side of the road' in the UK!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:53 am

In Spain, the market for new cars is very different from the UK. In the UK dealers get a much higher margin and will happily discount new cars on an add hoc basis. In Spain the discounts mainly come from the manufacturer and vary from month to month and these are well publicised.

If you Google "Offertas coches nuevo" you will get a lot of info. This one is typical

https://www.coches.com/coches-nuevos/

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Sid, when we went into several garages we asked about discounts, they scribbled a few fugures down, they included manufacturer price plus extra figures added on which i presumed was vat.Is the prices on the link you provided exclusive of the vat?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Private cars should be advertised inclusive of IVA

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

We bought our second Smart car from Malagacar around 5 or 6 years ago they handled the transfer and the whole process was simple. Car has run perfectly ever since, apart from me managing to break the fuel tank. It spends a lot of its time on campo tracks, which is not really what it was designed for but copes admirably.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:49 pm

My dinky car struggles up the hill a bit but hope it lasts as long as yours! We were impressed by Malaga Car as the car was ready to collect within the week of first seeing it, and the paperwork was sent through to me in 3 weeks, all included in the price.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm

They are great cars, and when the time comes we'll replace it with another for sure. There are some tracks i wouldn't take it on, but most that we use it copes admirably.
Regards

Bob

Nicknjh23
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicknjh23 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:00 am

Bought a second hand Ford Focus 1.6tdci from a great guy in Calleta. Amazing car amd still going strong a year later. http://axarcars.com
My former has just bought from him too. Nice English guy and he stands by his word

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 am

We are thinking of getting a new 4WD SUV. At the moment we are leaning towards a Skoda Kodiaq.
I wondered if anyone had one and what they thought of it ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 am

I have the SEAT Ateca. It's slightly smaller than the Kodiak but much the same apart from that. The Kodiak is pretty big which is fine if you want 7 seats, otherwise the Ateca/Karoq is OK. They are all finished to the same standard, and it's 95% as good as the VW Tiguan finish.

I would thoroughly recommend any of that family.

Sid