ITV changes recently (odb reader)

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV changes recently (odb reader)

Postby costakid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 am

I guess if its not your everyday car people remove the offending wheels etc, once it tested put them back on and take a chance when they use the car.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Or they don't bother with testing at all.

Have seen some cars/4x4s so heavily modified (over-sized wheels, bull-bars, lighting, exhausts, tow-bars, winches...) that removal prior to a test must be well-nigh impossible. Must have well-placed cousins.

Good few seriously ancient 4x4s (LandRover, Santana (usually cream), Nissan Patrol...) village vehicles in a state of rust (!), and obviously running on waste olive oil and-the-like, with ne'er a sign of an ITV sticker.

Only matched by local police and GC driving without seat belts, one arm out of the window, and no attempt to use indicators, and parked up on pedestrian crossings while they are in the Tabac or bar.

Several years ago, a seriously overweight GC was issuing a ticket to a driver on a small roundabout at Punta Lara, Nerja-Torrox. While he was issuing the ticket, he was chomping on a fat and lit cigar. :shock:
Chris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:51 am

It's the Mediterranean way; when I worked in the South of France I put my foot and the clutch through the floor of a works van which then went on to pass MOT up there (CT) despite not having working wipers or indicators, and only offering braking at speeds below 40km/h. It passed thanks to a bottle of port left on the passenger seat. :lol:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:47 am

El Cid wrote:Oversize wheels and tyres are not allowed if they are not listed.

Sid
* oversize wheels as in 6" bigger on a 4x4 are not allowed.

Anything with the same 'rolling radius +/- 3%' is ok. My 2002 renault megane lists 14" and 15" wheels / tyres. I've been running 17"s for 4 years now, and it passes each year because the outside diameter is the same, pointed out via the itv website : www.itvasa.es/equivalencias.php

Sorry sid, im not trying to be 'pedantic' but people may be thinking that 'it just cant be done' and thats not right.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:45 am

I guess the "Hi-Tech" ODBII kit hasn't arrived this far inland as just had ITV and it was the standard run through.

They have a new Emissions tester and Brake test rigs, you still have to operate the brakes along with the other equipment , lights etc.......

Dash lights checked that they go out on startup.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:46 am

No sign of OBD at Algarobbo on 28 November.
Our 22 year old Citroen 2.5TD breezed through smoke test at 0.13m-1, so no grumbles there.
Chris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm

The obd can only be used on vehicles 2004 and newer according to the tester at poligono el viso.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:50 pm

There are some confusing or plain wrong articles out there, and not just on forums like Forocoches. I've been reading stuff on Diariomotors and even Autobild.es (of whom I'd expect better) that's inaccurate. One thing that they do agree on is that the OBD2 is targeted at cars that are Euro5 and Euro6 compliant. This is more important than a particular date, but a lot of the dates quoted (including by me in an earlier post) are pretty far out anyway.

For passenger vehicles, Euro4 (not included in the OBD2 check at the ITV) applied to cars type-approved from Jan 2005 and most, not all cars registered from Jan 2006. A few motoring journalists in Spain (see above) seem to have got Euro4 mixed up with Euro5.

Euro5 (which is included in the OBD2 check) applies to vehicles approved from Sept 2009 and (lick thumb, stick it in air, declare it applies to all cars) registered from Jan 2011 (heavy vehicles from 2015). So, although OBD2 has been around since the late 90s, cars registered from Jan 2011 are the ones to be checked (and all stations are now equipped). I know you said at the start of the thread that a 2009 Focus was plugged in, Spanish Lad, but that (and your poligono el viso chap) just shows how bad the information is getting around. It's all here (quite a short document) from the horse's mouth:
https://www.aeca-itv.com/wp-content/upl ... ol-OBD.pdf

Again, it's intended to add to the info from the pipe up the jacksy although I read that a severe fail (and no subsequent emissions test) can result from the OBD failing to read, or indications that DPFs, EGRs and the like have been disabled or circumvented. Checking ABS, pre-tensioners and the like is targeted for (ie, won't be anywhere near ready until) May 2019.

If some inspector tries to fail my 2005 Modus because the OBD won't read (unsurprising - I have to whack it like a TV repair man myself), I'll be asking them to RTFM. I'll probably lose the argument, but I'd still ask for my money back at AECA.