need help with Spanish for ...

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

need help with Spanish for ...

Postby gavilan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 am

I am taking my car to garage tomorrow for a full service ... my Spanish language/vocabulary is very limited re car parts ...but I need to explain that .. the bonnet catch or latch does not work properly ... and that the screen wash does not work ... (wipers do but no liquid is sprayed on the screen) ... I would be most grateful if someone could tell me how to say in Spanish the problem with that bonnet catch and screenwash mechanism ... many thanks ...

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: need help with Spanish for ...

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi gavilan,
I'd keep it simple and just show the mechanic the problems.

lavadora de pantalla no funciona..........screen washer not working

La captura del capó no funciona correctamente.............Bonnet catch not working correctly

You need to know what a "Full Service" means.
Servicing these days is done on Miles (km)/ and Time
So for Example at 6 years a cambelt will need changing even if you haven't done the 72,000 miles that the Manufacture recommends.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Hope Gavilan has come back to read Enrique's reply, he kept it nice and simple. :thumbup:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

thanks so much Enrique ... I would have used 'sign language' with the mechanic except this particular garage has a receptionist and no access to a tecnico ... so your phrases will be most helpful ... thanks again

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 am

Also, before you hand over, are neither washers working or only one? I had a failing offside washer jet and got an old interdental brush (Mercadona sell them, probably others, like very very thin bristle brushes) and gave the jet holes a bit of in-and-out. Problem solved. If neither spray and you hear no sound, then it's more likely the pump's failed.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am

Useful! On a similar note, can anyone advise how I would describe a 'crunching' noise I get at low speeds sometimes? It's the sort that a mechanic will find impossible to replicate in their garage! To give an idea of the noise, I have suspected part of the wheel arch scraping the tyre when I turn the front wheels (it's not that though).

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 pm

the best way would be to take the mechanic out with you and try to create the noise. In my youth I was shut in the boot of a Mini to try and find what was causing a knocking noise.....my pal who was driving took the chance to make it like a terror ride of course. My father was a garage foreman in South London and had a customer complaining about a "whoom.....silence....whoom" as they drove through Streatham. It took a short trip to realise that the carriageways were divided by brick flowerbeds, so the sound bounced back passing these then stopped as the car passed a gap...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 pm

[quote][/quote]Useful! On a similar note, can anyone advise how I would describe a 'crunching' noise I get at low speeds sometimes? It's the sort that a mechanic will find impossible to replicate in their garage! To give an idea of the noise, I have suspected part of the wheel arch scraping the tyre when I turn the front wheels (it's not that though).

I will just say of my own experience, i brought a different car to the airport a few times and had a crunching sound like you mention.
It turned out that it was noise from the road surface reaction to tyres, once i realized what it was i forgot about it.
First of all i thought it may be loose wheel but it was definately the the surface of road in my case...

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks all. It could be road noise, it's very hard to pin it down. Going in for a service soon anyway so will see what happens.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 am

alpine, I generally read through and even join a forum for the car in question, rather than a generalized forum like this for finding answers. At low speeds is a start but any other info to narrow it down helps, eg in 1st gear but not reverse or 2nd, only when turning, worse on rough roads than smooth etc.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:09 pm

That's a good idea. I'm in a UK and a ESP forum for the manufacturer but the car is a new generation model with some substantial changes to previous ones, so no talk of many problems with it at the moment. I suppose I could try and find the right vocab in some other threads about other models though, that's an idea. I don't drive much regularly (sometimes only one day a week) so it's hard to actually remember when/where/why it's happening!