New update on licences from gov.uk

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Manchesteral
Resident

Re: New update on licences from gov.uk

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm

I already did that Paddy, no I am not whiter than white but I do feel strongly about this and other issues, there are hundreds of instances, in fact I actually know of some individuals who came to Spain with false, rescinded, cancelled or in fact no car insurance at all. I recall on instance back in the nineties when an idiot young British youth killed an 11 year old Spanish lad and it took two years to track him down, he received a very lenient sentence when they finally did catch up with him, this is why I feel strongly about this, if you're living in a country other than your own for a period of six months or more then why should you not be forced to have a licence from that country.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:57 pm

I fully understand your point regarding uninsured drivers etc. However I cannot see how not having a drivers licence from Spain will make it more difficult to catch somebody.

If an accident was a hit and run then licence or no licence it is still the same process to catch the driver, which would start with the number plate or car description.

If there is an accident and the drivers remain at the scene then they are apprehended.

I cannot see how me not having a Spanish licence would change that process.

The law permits me to live in Spain and have a foreign licence. Many times there are laws I don't agree with in Spain but being a foreigner I don't have a vote in regional or national elections so there is nothing I can do about it.

my original post advised on what the law permitted as that is what people requested. If they want moral guidance I would refer them to the local church.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 pm

We had regular trips away last year needing our licences for hiring cars, but now I have asked about exchanging it is taking many months to get the new licence so I guess I've left it too late. Judging by the current experience of my gestoria, I would not have it back in time for a spring UK trip, and if it continues like that I would have to wait until after our autumn trip when we shall then have a 6 month gap between hiring a car in the UK and I can afford to give up my licence.

I don't know if it has always taken so long to process, but although we don't go back to the UK for long, we do need a car and after a death in the family last year we have had to pop back a bit more frequently.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm

I would guess the exchange of UK licence to a Spanish licence process is now a lot longer than it used to be because of all the expats who are now trying to exchange them before Brexit finally kicks in. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Wicksey wrote:We had regular trips away last year needing our licences for hiring cars, but now I have asked about exchanging it is taking many months to get the new licence so I guess I've left it too late. Judging by the current experience of my gestoria, I would not have it back in time for a spring UK trip, and if it continues like that I would have to wait until after our autumn trip when we shall then have a 6 month gap between hiring a car in the UK and I can afford to give up my licence.

I don't know if it has always taken so long to process, but although we don't go back to the UK for long, we do need a car and after a death in the family last year we have had to pop back a bit more frequently.
I have seen many times on this forum people ask why would you not exchange a licence for a Spanish I guess the question is answered by experiences. I understood historically the time to change was about 2 months.

My brother exchanged his UK licence for Irish licence in mid-December, he had his new licence in his hand 17 days later (which straddled Xmas) That tells me the delay is on the Spanish side rather than the UK.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:26 pm

I had my appointment today in Granada (City) for my change of licence to a Spanish one, I had the medical 2 months ago. I obviously took all my documentation including the kitchen sink, the whole process went well, they took my UK licence and my old green paper licence which stated that I a provisional licence since 1975 but didn't get my actual licence until 1989. The guy behind the desk said wow it took you 14 years to pass your test, but I stated that because I lived in a city it was more practical to travel by bus, train, pushbike or on foot, besides the first of those 5 years I was a poor student during this period of my life it was not necessary to have a full licence.

I was given a provisional document, a stamped piece of A4 paper as proof of my application until my new plastic one arrived by post which I was told would take about a month, but should I return to the UK the provisional paper would not be accepted for car hire.

terry