Bringing my dualsport Suzuki to Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bringing my dualsport Suzuki to Spain

Postby burrotaxi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm

I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 here in the UK that I originally planned to bring to Spain and register. Whilst it is mildly modified (after market exhaust, tail tidy etc) I have the original components which I planned to fit in order to ease the matriculation process. After that I would like to revert to modified and wondered how I stand on the ITV tests? To be honest I have no idea how this works in Spain, do you take your bike to test centre like car? What is their view on aftermarket exhaust systems, led lights etc. It seems to me that 99% of scooters seem to have been modified and I assume they pass the ITV without a problem. What do people recommend? Would it be easier to just bring it out with me when I come over and continue to run it on uk registration? I plan to be here 6 months every year btw.
BurroTaxi

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bringing my dualsport Suzuki to Spain

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm not sure how the registration ITV works, but as these are minor issues, if they are a problem, they will tell you and then you can change whatever they don't like and get it retested, either free or for a very small charge. I have found the staff really helpful when I had a non factory fit bullbar. Irrespective of how often you come, you can only ride it with a valid MOT so you can't really avoid the problem.

Sid

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 pm

I’m not too keen on having to resolder electrical connections every year and effectively dismantle other parts of the bike. As you say the mods are very minor my options are to either matriculate in Spain or keep uk reg and mot it every year and travel with it. For many reasons that isnt ideal so I wondered how the spanish seem to get away with all their mods on scooters!
BurroTaxi

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:47 pm

So are you saying that you would drive a scooter back to the UK every year to get an MOT?

As I said, you won't know the answer until you take it to the ITV and see what they say. No one on this forum is qualified to give you a definitive answer to that.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:50 pm

If cars have a modification (like our Defender land rover has a winch on the front) you can get an engineer to make a report (informe) at a fee of course, to detail what the vehicle has, and whether the modifications come within some sort of standard - eg ours was fitted by Land Rover as homologued when new and we had papers to confirm that. How you would go on with these minor changes I am not sure, but I am sure they are fussy about non-standard exhausts (thoughts of Boy-Racers making excess decibels etc and unclean exhaust gases ... ) so perhaps arm yourself with reasons as to why they should accept the changes, if you can justify them ... otherwise import it as it came - standard factory fittings and keep it that way and then you dont need to worry. As I understand it any deviation from the standard factory fittings (as available for sale in Spain as a "norm") or from your fisha technica (the report from the engineer on import) can be sanctioned at the ITV, asked to be removed, and unless you can justify it, will not pass the ITV. As an aside, our ficha technica did include the winch, but unfortunately asl included the removable roof-bars which we forgot to take off - for the ITV we tend to get away with it, but have been warned to keep them handy if we ever decide to sell it !!!