Entering Madrid by car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Entering Madrid by car

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:50 pm

It seems that Madrid has introduced a sort of congestion charge and will not permit older cars etc inside a certain area in Madrid.
I’m traveling down in a couple of weeks and will need a sticker. I will try to buy one from my local post office so as to know whether they are available outside Madrid

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/elpais.c ... 8.amp.html

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Entering Madrid by car

Postby alpineSi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 am

It's a national emissions rating system, so yes you can buy the stickers outside Madrid. I had problems because the local post offices didn't have any, but one ordered some and had it ready for me in a couple of days.

Madrid has merely used these stickers as the basis for it's pollution control system. I'd understood that their system would only apply in emergencies this year but become permanent next year.
Barcelona is also looking to introduce a similar scheme but hasn't decided how yet.

There's already talk of revising the stickers because they've realised a hybrid can get one for being clean in electric mode, but then happily drive around unrestricted in polluting mode too...

Anyone who holidays in France (or drives to the UK via France) can look into their equivalent system, called Crit'Air.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:23 am

Hi Mark

We got our 'eco' sticker from our local post office in rural Andalucia last week. You need to take your vehicle documents and the owner's NIE to the post office, and they access a DGT database with the reg number and advise you of which sticker (of the four different types) you need. Cost us €5.... Very easy process even for us yokels....

There is a link here to a 'news' item on the excellent n332 website (which you may have to copy and paste).....

http://n332.es/2018/10/16/how-and-why-y ... o-sticker/

Hope this helps

Vincent

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 am

So what happens to all the brit registered cars that drive down every year. If you need a Spanish number plate are other cars exempt.
The French system allows anyone to buy a sticker.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:51 am

Regret that I don't know, but there will likely be something on the DGT website.....

A similar problem must arise in London with their low emissions regime? And of course all cars are subject to the London Congestion Charge, and the Dartford Crossing Charge

Above my pay grade I'm afraid......

Vincent

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 am

Hi,
"A similar problem must arise in London with their low emissions regime? And of course all cars are subject to the London Congestion Charge"

You have to register on-line your foreign plated car before entering the Zone.
If not then the NPR will pick up your Plate and a Fine will be issued to your vehicle registration address, you then have to prove that your vehicle is exempt .
The UK will trace your foreign address. From experience this was the case.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20 am

vinuela vinny wrote:A similar problem must arise in London with their low emissions regime? And of course all cars are subject to the London Congestion Charge, and the Dartford Crossing Charge
1) Dartford Dodgers: £200m owed by foreign drivers in Crossing fees

2) And how the system actually makes it impossible for many foreigners to pay anyway.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:48 pm

vinuela vinny wrote:Hi Mark

We got our 'eco' sticker from our local post office in rural Andalucia last week. You need to take your vehicle documents and the owner's NIE to the post office, and they access a DGT database with the reg number and advise you of which sticker (of the four different types) you need. Cost us €5.... Very easy process even for us yokels....

There is a link here to a 'news' item on the excellent n332 website (which you may have to copy and paste).....

http://n332.es/2018/10/16/how-and-why-y ... o-sticker/

Hope this helps

Vincent
Thanks Vincent and Alpine, very helpful.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:43 pm

And if it’s a uk car?

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi ashtondav
vinuela vinny wrote:Regret that I don't know, but there will likely be something on the DGT website.....

A similar problem must arise in London with their low emissions regime? And of course all cars are subject to the London Congestion Charge, and the Dartford Crossing Charge

Above my pay grade I'm afraid......

Vincent
Sorry......

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

And would even up-to-date satnavs advise of or avoid them? I was attempting to make my way through Bilbao ten years ago and a silent comedy ensued with a police officer in his car gesticulating I couldn't do what I was doing and me gesticulating at the satnav and "what can I do?" shrugging, him eye-rolling, headshaking and pointing elsewhere. My intention is to avoid Madrid Centro anyway but, as alpineSi pointed out, I'm already aware that in many French cities en route my 2002 diesel will be about as welcome as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip. Yet, if Emily or Serena says, "In 250m, turn left", quite a few people end up plummeting off the quayside 'because satnav'.

Going slightly off-road myself, the link to Dart payments fiascos amused and unsurprised me in equal measure, particularly this bit:
WB of Matlock, Derbyshire paid his Dart Charge on time while on a ferry to France, but still received a fine. “I was told that I should have paid £3 even though the system only charged me £2.50,” he writes.

“I duly paid the extra 50p and was sent an apology assuring me I had paid the correct sum. I then received an email stating my request to cancel the penalty charge had been rejected. I replied and received another apology and assurance that a request had been made for the charge to be cancelled. Next came a ‘charge certificate’ to say that, as no representation had been received, the charge notice was increased to £105 plus a road user charge of £3.”

I decided to set up a Dart website account, even though the pre-payment scheme was loaded in Dart's favour, because of the healthy savings once I've made a few return trips. As is my luck, Dart decided the discount was too generous and unilaterally slashed it shortly after so I decided to take up my right to cancel and have my unused money refunded. Totally circular, Kafka failure with an eventual email from a bot telling me to do what I'd already attempted 3 times, so I've resorted to cancelling the DD and hoping to run down what I've put in but expecting them to swallow it wholesale soon. I suspect these 'failings' that, if you're really persistent, get you an 'unreserved apology' are a significant net-win for the operator.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 pm

I´ve been to the post office and got the stickers for our cars. Well.. I tried.. :wtf: :lolno:

We have a 1.2L 2010 seat ibiza.. no problem here you go you get a C. I´ve seen K plate cars with a C sticker, so no surprise really.

When I asked for one for my 2002 Renault 1.6L .. "computer says no, come back in a few months" ...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Is the M50 outer ring classed as Madrid do we reckon?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:33 am

Hi D.A.,
From the maps I've seen ........no well outside.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/count ... estriction
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 am

There are two exclusion zones. One more or less within the M30. If you would like to enter this one, you will need to buy the sticker. I got mine from my local Post office the week before Easter but a Friend who went to get one a couple of days later found that they had run out so at busy times, you need to buy it well in advance.

If you haven't got one and you intend to drive inside this zone, I suggest stopping in one of Madrid's satellite towns because I would imagine there will be plenty the closer to Madrid you are. If you are travelling from the UK in a UK registered car, a call to the Spanish tourist office might be a good idea.

The other exclusion zone is around the centre of Madrid so I doubt very much this will affect many people. Definitely, do not enter this area unless you have permission from your hotel or you want to park in a public car park. I would look for more information or get advice from your hotel before travelling. There are clear signs and as the area is rather small, It won't be a problem to leave your car near the edge of the zone and walk the rest of the way, even with suitcases.

Just remember where you left your car. All streets In Madrid look alike.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 am

Worth noting that the new PP Mayor of Madrid has suspended all fines in the Central Zone until 30 September. Thousands of people were protesting this decision in the 40 degree heat!

As there's no fine, the system is effectively cancelled for now. https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/368819 ... as-avisos/

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am

1bassleft wrote:And would even up-to-date satnavs advise of or avoid them?
I generally use Waze on Android for navigation and it does include an area to add passes (and toll badges).
Waze.jpg
In car SatNav that hasn't been updated (and doesn't know what type of car it's in) will be a problem though.
A relatively easy fix for future vehicles so only a matter of time I'm sure.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:29 am

Nice info, Alpine, partic for the Crit Air, thanks

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:36 pm

It's seems that for the moment, the fines are back so you will need the stickers again:

Health vs cars: judge reinstates Madrid's low emissions zone http://www.euronews.com/2019/07/08/heal ... sions-zone