Transferring Ownership of Secondhand vehicles with Trafico.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
john the baptist
Resident

Transferring Ownership of Secondhand vehicles with Trafico.

Postby john the baptist » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi All,

Im looking at buying a Maxi Scooter to have as a run around the village and for trips up the mountains. I've used Gestors when buying from car dealers but I have many years ago have bought a Scooter privately and did all the paperwork via traffico and paid the tax at the hacienda (tax office) for the percentage valuation tax.

I need some advice as most things in traffico have changed. Unfortunately now you cant simply turn up and get advice and forms. You have to make appointments and it can be weeks before an appointment (cita) is available. I have been told that however it has become easier as their is the option of paying online for the valuation tax (which for me the office was based in San Roque and the traffico office in La Linea opposite the Gib Border).

The issue i have is that I remember going several times to traffico in order to get the forms, come back with payment (tax) paperwork and ensuring multiple copies of the official transfer paper work and copies of the sellers and my details (passport Nie etc). Also I remember being able to simply quoting a number plate and they would know and could tell me if there was any outstanding fines for the vehicle and/or that the sello (ayuntamiento) annual road tax.

This was about 10 years ago and appreciate that things have moved on and their is a possibility to do it online. Ive recently gone through the experience of changing my UK licence for a Spanish one so have booked a cita online before however as this involves several different things and separate buildings and payments I was hoping for some advice, help and links to any relevant DGT / vehicle tax websites.

I want to do it myself as thats what the spanish do and with the kids growing up fast no doubt our house will soon be a multiple car household.

Many thanks in advance for all help on this matter.

JB

john the baptist
Resident

Re: Transferring Ownership of Secondhand vehicles with Trafico.

Postby john the baptist » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks Wollie, much appreciated, some of the links from the article are broken however it certainly is a great basic introduction of the system. I was completely unaware that there is an obligation for the seller to inform Traffico independently regardless of the buyers transfer documents and for them to pay €8.30 for the privilege.
Does anyone know if this is a new thing??? it seems as far as Im aware that they have put in an additional layer of bureaucracy.