bike import

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
wollie
Resident

Re: bike import

Postby wollie » Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 am

I think i be better go road legal as i do not unwanted attention for the sake of a few hundred €€€ a year.
Really not practical as from house to campo need road legal and also as Sid said earlier "a campo road is a road"
If anyone can offer info on how to make "sin documentacion" road legal i be interested.
Its unlikely i go this route but be nice to know options before i rule out.
I am impulsive and if i am going to do it has to be now.
I will be trawling for the next couple of weeks and i am hopeful i may be able to
buy one in June when over.
I did look at "Bultaco" and there are a few there and some with said "sin documentacion"

Thanks for all good advise...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 am

I haven''t looked into sin doc bikes, but I have with cars. A paperless ES plated Fiat Idea had been left with a nearby UK dealer as a trade in and he put it on ebay "perfect for holiday home owners". I investigated and all I could find was a procedure for 'adopting' abandoned cars that seemed torturous, above my level of patience/competence and with costs and uncertainties that could exceed such a car's worth. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't take the project on as a non-resident myself. I advised the ebay dealer to modify the "just get in and drive it to your holiday home" description and was completely ignored of course. The Idea 'sold' at least 3 times but was "relisted due to time-wasters" each time. In actuality, I bet people had fallen for the seller's playing down of the trouble (and watched too much "A Place in the Sun" on TV), and placed bids, then found out how complicated the procedure would be and got cold feet.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed May 29, 2019 1:53 am

Hey Wollie, I don't know how I missed this one - listed since 28/4, but I didn't see it on my previous look (I decided to have another scan tonight):
https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-clasi ... 524077.htm

If you don't mind going up to 250cc, and have the licence for it, it's quite tempting. I had Honda's CB250RS around the time the Yam SR250 was available and there's a lot to recommend a single-cylinder, 4-stroke 250 like this. Simplicity, excellent L/100km and reliability; not good for maintaining 110+km/h over long distances on autovias (the CB250N twin was better for that) but torque is good and weight is still low so they can be easily manoeuvred at lower speed over difficult terrain and in town traffic (if you are >1.75m tall) while comfortably travelling the carretera at 100km/h with plenty in reserve for accelerating to 120kmh when needed.

Although the CB250RS was a better road bike, this SR250 might work well for you and don't be put off by the "custom" seat and handlebars. My learner bike, a Honda H100, had silly custom bars etc and it was very easy and inexpensive to change them. The SR250 was essentially Yamaha's quite effective XT250 off-road bike, but fitted with road tyres, electric start, lower-level exhaust and front mudguard, and that "chopper" seat and handlebars. I would certainly want to fit "sit up and beg" handlebars for better low-speed control, a taller, flatter seat and perhaps replace that front mudguard for plastic with more clearance above the front tyre - just for travelling over rougher roads/tracks.

With paperwork and ITV (I don't understand why it says road tax is unnecessary unless it's registered as 'historic') for €450 I'm quite tempted to get my crash helmet out of retirement myself, except my wife would kill me before the Benalmadena and tourist drivers did.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed May 29, 2019 4:03 am

Update: there are others in a similar price range. This one has the more sensible handlebars and seat that I talked about. Another has a disc front brake (better in the wet - although why would you want to ride on a rainy Malaga day? - and less fade from 100+km/h - 0 but, otherwise, the front drum brake will be adequate). I do see them around, now I think about it, and I imagine they were popular as a cheap but "serious" motorcycle back in the 1980s. Spares etc should be available.
https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-clasi ... 735733.htm

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed May 29, 2019 11:15 am

bassleft thanks for that,

For some unknown reason my old bike licence was taken off and i would have to go through the whole process.
I was originally thinking of a road bike and this was the original plan to import.
Because of info (most from you) on here i discovered loads of bikes in Spain of all types.
I will now look for a small campo rustic bike, its just some way of passing a few hours.
I have looked at a few. I am thinking of asking the seller to arrange transfer to my name if say a pay the full asking price.
Is this a good idea?

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi there are thousand 125cc for sale on the costa just check out FB marketplace. You can get a very decent Jap Bike for €600, why bother importing the pain in getting a euro certificate and changing the headlights for an ITV pass its such a head ache and god help you that after all that if fails immisiions test!!! it would be money down the drain.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Ah, there is a thread elsewhere here (apologies if you read or - more so - posted in it) where people exchanged EU for ES or renewed licences and categories seemed to be just deleted unless you specifically asked for them. I forget the exact detail but made a mental note to check for it if I'm ever in that situation.

I've never checked (nor needed to) but I would be interested in what moto can be legally ridden (solo and/or with passenger) with just a standard car licence in Spain, and for how long without passing a test*. I've always considered the 50km/h, 50cc limited machines almost lethal in anything other than off-road or snarl-up traffic. As soon as the road allows, being forced into the gutter as multiple camiones impatiently thunder past is not my idea of fun. In the UK, this restriction came into force in 1977 and Yamaha's old FS1E, which could reach 75km/h, suddenly became very valuable to rich schoolboys. Some of those very old Puchs may also be un- or easily de-restricted and could be fun for short runs.

* Although carrying a pillion passenger requires a full licence, there doesn't appear to be a time-limited 125cc eligibility which I thought there was for UK riders. Or am I getting confused about the UK? I passed my motorcycle test years before my car test.

Re: paying full asking price, my limited experience is sellers regarded their price as firm until they re-advertize because of lack of interest (many don't even do that) and that you will pay for transfer unless otherwise stated. Always worth enquiring and stroking your chin over, though. Transfering to your name is best done together, and I'm sure the seller would be more than happy for it to be done in their locale with officials they're familiar with. A small caveat is that a seller's choice of gestor does not act for you and - in a very unlucky case - may even connive against you. I read of one buyer who got ripped and received a few uncharitable, certainly unhelpful "serves you right" responses for having agreed to the seller's choice.

Although sin doc puts me off, a moto lacking ITV wouldn't kill a deal for me. It wouldn't be particularly difficult (spares/maintenance items permitting) to bring a moto up to standard and, unlike a car, a 125 or less could be easily transported legally to the ITV centre. I quite enjoyed my car's ITV and am looking forward to this year's; much more interesting than the UK procedure of sitting in a waiting room drinking bad coffee until someone appears shaking his head and holding a long list of items requiring attention.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

I have now decided i will buy a smallish rustic moto in Spain.
There are bikes listed with yellow plates. My question is.
Are their advantages/disadvantages to buying moto with yellow plate?

many thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi wollie,

Motos with rear yellow number plates are those classed in the "moped" class
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:26 am

I believe that you can ride/ drive the bikes and small cars with yellow plates without a driving licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks Enrique,
What does "moped class" mean? I have recently being looking at adds and quite a few of what i see are yellow plated.
I need to know if i buy one of these things are there any problems in regard to transfer/insurance/ITV.
Also some have "sin documents" and wonder if be an option to buy one of these.
I am personally thinking this not likely good option as if not road legal as unwanted attention from police.
I think Sid said earlier that dirt roads are classified as roads.

Any advise appreciated.
many thanks.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:41 am

gerryh wrote:I believe that you can ride/ drive the bikes and small cars with yellow plates without a driving licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry,
I just seen your post after i created my own. The option you mention may be perfect for me.
I just want a campo toy and though i prefer be road legal if i can drive on campo roads with
licence/insurance etc i would do this.
Do you know if these things need insurance/ITV etc?
I am of the opinion we cannot but insurance without a licence.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 am

I would advise anyone to have insurance. A case yesterday in the UK of a cyclist colliding with a pedestrian who was on her phone as she stepped into the road and with court costs and legal fees etc it will cost him £100000.00

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 am

Just a followup on regarding insurance and "claims"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/21/cyclist- ... -10026994/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:47 am

You said you were impulsive Wollie... Personally, I suggest you stick to bikes with documentation and get an ITV if it currently doesn't have one, then arrange insurance. As I mentioned before, you could be having fun in the campo and perhaps accidentally ride over the bare legs of a couple of people having a different sort of fun in the campo. I would not want to be uninsured if that happened, even if many other people are happy to buy and sell paperless motos for rabbit hunting and collecting olive baskets. I'm not so confident I could shrug off the possible consequences of a collision.

Have I suggested this link before? It answers many of your questions:
https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog/ex ... spain.html

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 am

Just because i suggest without documentation it not be my preferred option as i do not any attention and also i prefer if i can drive on street as well.
I will buy as soon as i can if possible but because i am only there on hols for 10 days i need as much info as i can get from here as i will more or less agree the price before i see so i need to know i am buying something suitable. I was talking to a guy in a bar when last over and he said his friend had one but it was my last day so i have not time to see but will look next time. When the bar owner heard i was looking he suggested his sons girlfriend had one, it is 8 years and would not survive to long with the way i drive. I do not mind if i pay abit more as long as i get a good reliable moto.
I be grateful if anyone knows what the yellow plates means as quite a few of what i see have yellow plates.
I do not mind if i pay abit more as long as i get a good reliable moto.

Regards and thanks for all your useful help.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:21 am

Enrique states that yellow plates mean they are moped (AM) class. The link in my post above tells you who can ride a moped legally (just about anyone).

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 am

Sorry if I sounded like I was criticizing you, Wollie. It's just I know exactly the situation when you are very short on time and how you can "chase too many rabbits and end up catching none" by following up leads, as so many people will know someone who has an unused moto in a shed, overhear you and suggest you go and have a look. You would be better off looking at what you're qualified for (I imagine a 125cc would be ok on your produceable licence) and thinking what you are prepared to trade off. Do you want a moped restricted to 45km/h? I, personally, would not - not on the street at least - so I would rule those out. When you've narrowed your selection down, you will be chasing fewer leads and more likely to investigate motos that meet your requirements. If anyone in a bar says they know someone - again, you have some questions that you can ask them to 'phone and get answers before you take it further. Saves time.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:30 am

bassleft,

I do not mind criticism as long as its meant as advise. I was of the opinion the yellow plates were for all older motos, a friend said that they are for all rustic motos under 50cc.
In will likely end up buying something out of a shed as you said if that's what comes my way, as long as its a good sturdy machine i do not care if it runs well.
It will be for campo but if bigger and suitable for road be added advantage, i bought 2 vehicles blind on ebay meaning i paid before i seen, one was 4k + a rustic Land Rover which is 40 anos one of these days.
I think the guys in the bar will love to see me coming.

Many thanks...

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:32 pm

I don't think yellow is reserved for older motos. I saw a >50cc scooter which had the old-style V for Valencia plate. It seems that >50cc motos have the same licences as cars - either the old MA... etc or the current ####XXX style. <50cc (and this includes those Aixom microcars with 49cc engines) have yellow plates. Perhaps your friend meant that older <49cc used to have yellow plates, but newer mopeds now have a different style of plate (as cars and larger motos have changed). A quick look on MilAnuncios at newer mopeds (if the photos show the plate - some sellers blank them out) will confirm.
Good luck, and keep us updated with your find(s). I hope to see a picture!