Another driving licence question

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Another driving licence question

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I have not yet started the process of changing my licence but now I am not due to hire a car in the UK for the rest of the year, I am ready to start the process.

However, I will be hiring a car on the Canaries later on and when I contacted my usual company to ask if they accept the Trafico temporary paperwork should the new licence not be back, I got the following response:
Dear client,
You must present your passport and driving license both from the same country
Best regards

I wrote back to say that foreign residents here need to change their licence and surely they have encountered this before and then go this response:
Dear client,
In that case you need to show at the office always your original documents when you collect the car, both documents from the same country
Best regards

So I am still confused :? Do you get your old UK licence back (like your old passport with the corner cut off??). Surely I am not the only foreigner with a non Spanish passport and Spanish licence they would have dealt with? I really like this company and do not want to go with another.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Another driving licence question

Postby gerryh » Fri May 24, 2019 5:09 pm

No you don't get your old driving licence back.
I hired a car in Tenerife using my UK passport and Spanish driving licence without any problem.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 24, 2019 5:25 pm

It seems that is the rule that Autoriesen have applied to their rentals. I have used them for years and they have been very good but it seems I can no longer use them if I change my licence. I have read their Ts and Cs and cannot see anywhere that the passport and licence must come from the same country, only that the licence must be valid in Spain.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 pm

For the last 7 years I have only hired cars with my UK passport and Spanish driving in the UK and the Spanish islands.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 25, 2019 8:24 am

Never heard of companies using such a T&C.they only tend to say it must be a valid or E.U licence. Will they except a photocopy of your uk licence. Take copies of it before you hand it over for exchange

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm

maybe they have just reacted to your query by saying that you must have a licence rather than just a scruffy bit of paper from Trafico? I have never had a problem hiring in the UK with my Spanish licence, but would expect trouble if I did not produvce the plastic photo card.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 25, 2019 1:40 pm

They seemed to be clearly saying that both the passport and licence has to come from the same country. They seem to have given up answering my emails but I may try again next month and see if I get a different answer!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Wicksey, where, specifically are you going to in the Canaries? I know of a trouble free, user friendly car hire place in Las Palmas I could put you in touch with :-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

I'm going to Lanzarote and for all my previous 11 trips to the the main 4 islands I've used Autoreisen who have always been so good with no excess.

My OH is changing his licence first to Spanish so it's possible I'll still have my UK one when we go.