buying a car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: buying a car

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:39 am

Ok Wicksey...Well different laws and rules in different countries i guess..In Spain it seems to be ID for most things, we were asked to produce ID to just get into a local public swimming pool..I'm not used to that kind of intrusion because we don't walk around with identity cards like the Spanish do however it wouldn't surprise me if we do end up with the same in the Uk, since covid nothing surprises me anymore.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:18 am
Pamela1 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:38 pm I don't see a problem if costakid has already paid for the car and there is a paper trail...I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong...His wife asked her son to sell the car, understandable if she has no intention of returning to Spain. Plus one less thing to worry about at her age.
I'm not sure that is enough here. As Sid says, it is the transfer papers that need signing. I'm always amazed that in the UK you hand over your car to someone and need no ID to change ownership, unlike here where you need proof of ID to show you're the owner selling it, and ID to re-register the car officially in your name at trafico.
actually a copy of passport and his NIE is enough and the signed transfer document.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:37 pm

I think it's better here Pamela as the car should then be properly registered into the next owner's name, and for buying too as the car may have debts on it which you as new owner will take on. We would never sell or buy without going to the gestoria with the other party and the proper registration process started. (I see that as long as you have everything from the seller then the process can be started in their absence, Costakid, so that all seems in order doesn't it which is good news.)

I was always a bit wary when handing over a car in England we had sold to John Smith of 25 The High Street ..... although I think we did sell to genuine people, but without proof of ID then the car could be sold to anyone, and possibly never registered by them.