Car Import Tax

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Big Col

Car Import Tax

Postby Big Col » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:13 am

Can anybody give me some help with the following please ?

Wife drove our lhd freelander to spain in June, we both have our NIEs,We have been told that the police in Baza will inform and ask if we require to apply for residencia in 6 months. My wife is living in Spain and i will be joining her later on. We are on the electrol roll with our town hall

My wife has had our freelander ITV ed, and is is the process by our local garage having it atriculated, (Spanish plates) will we have to pay Tax? and how much?? the car is worth about 7,000 euro, how do we pay the tax. The local garage has been very helpful but says wel have to pay the Tax, I dont want to pay if i dont have to. I read on the forum that you may not have to pay the tax if you import it as your belongings within 6 months of getting your residencia Any help would be apreciated

Big Col

car import tax

Postby Big Col » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Sorry for the lack of spelling and grammer re the above.

Kindest Regards

Colin

pathfinder spain
Tourist

Postby pathfinder spain » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:39 pm

you can only get round paying the import tax if you registered the car within 1 month of coming to Spain...if so then it can be classed as part of your imported belongings. They will also probably ask for a permanent export certificate from the dvla. If not not the tax is calculated on the year/make/model of the car.
danny

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:12 pm

I have relocated to La Cala (Mijas Costa) and have been here for two and a half weeks.

I have a freelander, 13days old "55 plate" (long story as to why i brought a RHD car to Spain on the day it was registered!)

I am unsure as to whether to sell it or keep it here. I am aware of the rules and regs, but the import tax will make a significant difference to the decision making process...

Is this true that you dont pay the tax if imported at time of arrival?? I have a pack called "living in mijas" that the town hall have given me and it says in there that the tax is due, with nothing about not having to pay etc (which of course they wouldn´t)

I would be interested to here how one goes about not paying the import tax

Would also be interested to know if anyone wants to buy a RHD land rover on the cheap!

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:30 pm

claire4james - there are some dealers who will buy RHD cars with proper papers. PM me if you want details of one I know personally in Estepona who migvht also do a trade for a spanish LHD one.

If you look at other topics about cars you will notice conflicting stories and advice, but it seems that you need to import it as soon as possible and call it part of your worldly goods which you are bringing to Spain.

Why do you not take it back to UK and sell it? You'd probably get a better price there, and buy a lhd one already on spanish plates - it saves a *lot* of hassle.
Slainte,
JohnP.

car imports

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:23 pm

Don't you have to have owned it for one year ie registered in your name, in order to import it free of charges as "personal goods"

Personally I have no clue why anyone would actually choose to bring a rhd car to Spain!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: car imports

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:28 pm

stantheman wrote:Don't you have to have owned it for one year ie registered in your name, in order to import it free of charges as "personal goods" !!
It's 6 months and you must have paid VAT on it.

Sid

Re: car imports

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:26 pm

El Cid wrote:
stantheman wrote:Don't you have to have owned it for one year ie registered in your name, in order to import it free of charges as "personal goods" !!
It's 6 months and you must have paid VAT on it.

Sid
Thanks sid, like Jagger and Richards, you've never let us down!