Transporting a cat to the UK

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
vickyn

Transporting a cat to the UK

Postby vickyn » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find any answers. I left Estepona about a year ago and had to leave my cat behind. My neighbours have been looking after him all this time but now I'm settled back in the uk it's time to bring him over here. He was a stray that landed on my doorstep so he hasn't had that much vet care apart from the vet neutering him in the beginning.
I have family going over to Estepona next week and they said they'd look into the procedure. I've googled various websites, including DEFRA and I understand the basics, ie, that he has to be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies and treated for fleas/ticks etc but can anybody recommend vets in the Estepona area and pet couriers that operate from the Malaga area? Also I'd really like to hear from anyone that's been through the same experience - preferably on the Spain to Uk route. I now live near Manchester so are there any airlines that carry pets to Manchester airport as from what I can see, animals would have to be flown into London (which then means yet more transport up north). I wouldn't rule out the option to transport him by ferry but it's such a long journey
Please excuse this long-winded post but I really want to go about this the right way
Thanks in advance, Vicky

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 am

Hi Vicky
Has your cat had a rabies jab? If not you need to get it done then have a blood test a month later to make sure it has worked. If it hasn't it needs to be repeated after another month. Your cat will also need to have all the usual inoculations, tick and tapeworm treatment as well as microchip. Just before he/she is due to travel he/she will need a health check and your cat will need to be back in Britain within 48 hours of this being done (this time schedule doesn't apply if taking a pet from Britain to Spain).
Good luck
Kal

alisonb
Resident

cat to UK

Postby alisonb » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 am

I've only looked into the other direction, but Monarch fly into Manchester, and I'm sure they move cats

Alison
AlisonB

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:24 am

I think that you have to wait 6 months after the rabies jab before entering the UK:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:58 pm

Correct Katy.

I quote from Defra at http://tinyurl.com/zicz

The 6 month rule for entering or re-entering the UK

A dog or cat may not enter or re-enter the UK until 6 calendar months have passed from the date that the blood sample which gave a satisfactory test result was taken.

Sid

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:15 pm

RE airlines, I found Monarch hugely expensive, British Airways were much cheaper for my 2 cats (London - Malaga). BA charge excess baggage (came to about 40 quid) plus a small fee and don't expect its much different either direction. Their website has loads of info on it about exporting pets and you will find it invaluable, whichever airline you choose.

Don't forget you also need an IATA-approved cat carrier specially designed for air travel (it has all-round ventilation and comes with the official IATA stamp of approval). this is mandatory, not an option. Plus, you need the official green 'live animals' and 'this way up' stickers and a special water tray with a replenishing bottle accessible from the outside of the carrier without opening the doors (in case puss gets tetchy and scratches the airport staff).

For the carrier dimensions, you have to measure and weigh your cats and ensure it is big enough/strong enough - the cat has to be able to stand up and turn around comfortably so it needs some headroom. Best bet is to measure your cat (BA website gives you the info you need to do so) order the carrier via the net and get the company to deliver it direct to your neighbours in Estepona. There are several companies, sorry can't remember which I bought from but I typed in 'IATA approved pet carrier' in yahoo search and this yielded results.

A change of plane in London is bound to be stressful, and cats do seem to literally be treated like excess baggage by some carriers, so my advice is stick to BA. Even they are not perfect but at least they have been doing it a long time. Yuo may even need someone in London to do the flight connection!

I did an 'accompanied flight' with my cats so I was on the same plane as them. That way, if there is a problem and the plane is delayed on the ground you can make sure the pilot is aware there is a live animal in the hold because noone else will tell them. The pilot needs to switch on the air-con in the hold if there is a long wait on the tarmac because your pet could either freeze or fry depending on the weather conditions - but they won't do this if they don't know about him/her.

Think everyone else has answered your queries re health checks. Good luck!

Gee Gee

(ps - will your neighbours part with the little darling after so long?! I do know of a court battle in the UK over a similar situation - the cat sitter changed the cats name and claimed ownership on the grounds of 'neglect and abandonment' by the real owner. The owner applied for repossession, but the cat sitter won, even though she only had temporary possession of Polly, nee Lucinda, for less than a year, with the owners full consent while the owner was abroad!)

Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susan2 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:23 pm

Monarch do fly cats - and do it very well. They flew my 2 over from England to Malaga quite recently. I think you should check on the rabies jab and its validity for return to the UK. In London my vet told me it was 30 days to wait for blood test returns. It must be a pan-european regulation. Good luck.

Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cost of flying cats

Postby Susan2 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:26 pm

Monarch weren't vastly expensive - well worth it for the care and attention they gave - I (and my cats) would fly with them again any time if we ever wanted to go back to UK (not a likely scenario!)

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:55 pm

Maybe they have got cheaper, then, Susan - their quote to me last year was THREE times the price of BA! Glad you had a good experience, I guess its variable whichever airline you use...

vickyn

Postby vickyn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:53 pm

That's all fantastic advice! Thank you everyone. It's all certainly food for thought - especially the 6 months issue. I guess the sooner I get started the better. I'd love my neighbours to take him on permanently but not only do they have an baffling collection of birds/reptiles/rabbits/fish they also have a huge dog so they have just been feeding the cat in my garden and he's been sleeping in a cat bed on the kitchen windowsill. I'm not too worried as I know the community looks out for him.

thanks again for all the great advice and if there's anybody else that has any further experience or advice, please let me know

Vicky

(Incidentally, as much as I adore Milo, I would think about giving him away to a good rural home so if anybody wants to adopt a ridiculously affectionate black cat who enjoys going for walks with you (seriously!) please pm me but in all honesty I'm going to try to get him back here)