u.k insurers to drive car in spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
donna bagnall
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:09 pm

u.k insurers to drive car in spain

Postby donna bagnall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:30 am

any one know of any insurance company's in the U.K that will insure our u.k vehicle to enable us to drive in in spain for 6 months. Have tried a couple of insurers but they will onlyoffer cover for up to 90 days

chrys macphail
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:02 pm
Location: campo

Postby chrys macphail » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:18 pm

:P Hi There,
First question are you going to be living in spain for the six months, if you are then you can re- insure yourself through a broker who will get you insurance from Gibraltar.
Second question if you are on holiday then your insurance company in the uk will insure you for a longer period if you tell them when you are going out of the uk and when you return. I told my insurance company i was moving to spain and they only gave me 14 days to re-insure myself. I am now with Seviour insurance they have offices on the coast and inland. We go to alhuarin el grande. Heres their tel no if it helps
0034-952499347 e.mail www.sevinsurance@hotmail.com www.seviour-insurance.com

Hope this helps
campo chick

Andalucia Guru
Posts: 9927
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: Guadalhorce Valley

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:31 pm

You may wish to read through this advice from Andalucía.com before deciding what to do about insurance:

http://www.andalucia.com/living/vehicle ... plates.htm

particulary the fact that 'EU legislation requires that a car be insured in its country of registration.'

Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: Olvera, Cadiz

Postby Kahuna » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Having investigated this for my bike insurance, I found that though my English insurance did only cover for 90 days overseas - at the level of the UK Cover (that is Fully Comp) - they were still obliged, by law, to provide minimum cover for Europe (third Part). So cover dropped but still covered at the legal minimum for the remainder of the insurance year!

That's no help if your vehicle is stolen or you put it in a ditch or something - but keeps you clear with the law.

User avatar
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Isle of Wight, Spain, West Africa.

Postby Kitesurfer. » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Try London and Edinburgh (looks odd?) I insure my vehicles with them through Bakers of Cheltenham and get a full years Euro cover as standard. I pay around %50 more per premium but theres no hassle with it and my standard rates are low anyway.

When running out of fuel altitude and speed....never run out of ideas...

Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:30 pm

Vehicle Insurance

Postby Niki Harrison » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:18 am

Wouldn't it be wiser to get motor insurance for your vehicle through a company in Spain? This way you would have no problems getting cover for the duration of your stay. Try www.secinsure.com They are an English company based in Spain and do policies in English and Spanish.

Hope this is of help.


Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 10:03 am

Postby poppylou » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Saga insure us for overseas travel with UK reg vehicle for up to 1 year.

Return to “Cars, Bikes & Motoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest