driving permanently in spain on a uk licence ?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:54 am

Laslomas wrote:I am totally confused with the Spanish Licence I have. I exchanged my UK one at the end of 2004. I did not need a medical. The one I was issued with is a pink card style. On the back it states: desde 21/12/1999 hasta 26/01/2008. Where the date in 1999 comes from I have no idea, I was not even in Spain then. It was actually issued and stamped by Trafico 25/01/2005. So the Licencia only lasted 3 years.

This week I have received a form 'Aviso de Caducidad del Permiso o Licencia de Conduccion. This needs to be completed with confirmation of address - there is a space for a photo, and a payment of 18 euros is requested. There is no mention of a medical - or am I supposed to know I need a medical and go and get one?

Anyone else had to deal with this form recently?
I have no idea why they used the 1999 date but I think I can answer the 3 year question.

UK licence holders who have a category B licence (cars) can also drive LGV's up to 7500kg - these are category C1 and C. In Spain the renewal requirement for these licence categories is 3 years not 5 or 10 as for cars.

When I exchanged my licence it was issued for 5 years but it showed only 3 years for the C1+C category. After 3 years I was sent a renewal form for the C1 + C categories and it explained that if I did not renew them they would no longer be valid and would be deleted from the next licence.

It may be that in your case they chose to issue the main licence for only 3 years - bearing in mind that Trafico seem to invent the rules as they go!

I chose not to renew the LGV categories so I then received another renewal form after 5 years. This was two years ago and I still have the letter. On the back it gives the detailed instructions for what you need to send along with the completed form. There are 5 items.

1. "Informe de Aptitud Psicofisica" which is the medical certificate.
2. Your old licence.
3. Photocopy of your residencia or NIE
4. Photocopy of the Post Office Giro for the fee.
5. If you have changed your address, a copy of your Padron certificate.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Do you have to go to an acredited medical centre or can any Doctor do it?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:20 pm

katy wrote:Do you have to go to an acredited medical centre or can any Doctor do it?
Yes you do and it has to be in your province.

You can get a list from Trafico here:-

http://www.dgt.es/portal/oficina_virtua ... uctores.do

Check the price as they seem to charge anything from 18€ to 40€.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Gracias Sid :)