All the creppie crawlies you could ask for

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
swerve
Resident

All the creppie crawlies you could ask for

Postby swerve » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:12 am

Creepy Crawlies

Bees, Caterpillars, Hornets and Wasps etc
The sting from any of these insects can be very painful. Try to withdraw the sting immediately but do not use tweezers because squeezing or pressing the sting can inject more poison into the skin.

It is recommended that you scratch off the sting with your fingernail, a knife or the edge of a credit card. Normal reaction to a sting is pain, itching and swelling of the injured area but these symptoms will pass off within hours.

Treatment: Clean the injured area and bathe with cold water.

Warning: Some people are severely sensitive to insect venom and can suffer respiratory and cardiac problems. If a person who has been stung shows signs of wheezing, breathing difficulties and/or facial swelling or has a rapid pulse, it is a sign that he/she has an allergy.
Do not delay: Call an ambulance or get to a hospital casualty department immediately. An allergy to such a sting can be life threatening.

Caterpillars (Processional Pine Caterpillars)

Pine Caterpillars (Latin name thaumetopoea pityocampa) are probably one of the most unpleasant creatures you will find in Spain, certainly in areas where pine trees grow in abundance. They are found throughout the warmer regions of Southern Europe, the Near East and North Africa. As well as causing much damage to pine forests, they are a major danger to animals and, to a lesser degree, human beings.

Do not touch them. Warn your children that they are not like the friendly English caterpillars. The very fine hairs on these creatures are poisonous and most dangerous. They can be seen living in silk cocoon style nests hanging in the pine trees to which they are most harmful, stripping them of their pine needles. When hungry, they leave their cocoon to seek another uninfested tree on which to feed. They travel nose to tail in a line, hence the name Processional. They are most noticeable from January to mid April and are at their most dangerous in mid/late February. The caterpillars are often seen in the evenings, walking in procession from tree to tree.

If they drop onto you or your pet, don't brush them off with your hands because the effect is most unpleasant, causing great irritation, rash and pain. Dogs, cats and people can suffer from shock. The hairs of the caterpillars are still virulent even when the creatures are dead. Do not hit them with sticks because hairs flying in the air are just as dangerous. Burn them, but be careful of floating hairs. If the caterpillars are in the tree cocoon state, first spray the nest with hair spray (to seal down the hairs), cover the cocoon and the affected part of the branch with a plastic bag, cut down the branch, place it on clear ground and burn it.

If the caterpillars are on the ground marching, it is better first to spray them with lighter fuel and then set them alight. This reduces the risk of flying hairs.
Take care to only do this where you cannot inadvertently start a forest fire because during the summer months the undergrowth and trees are very dry.

If you live near pine trees, it is recommended that you keep Anti Histamine tablets handy as an early treatment. In particular, avoid ingesting the hairs. Dogs are most at risk by sniffing the ground where the caterpillars have marched.

Take particular care with your eyes. If affected the result is serious, causing pain and swelling similar to a bad case of conjunctivitis.

Treatment: If a person or animal shows signs of shock, get them to a doctor, hospital or vet immediately.

If you have children and are considering buying property, take the above details into consideration.

Golfing. When these caterpillars march across golf courses, play ceases immediately because it is too hazardous to try to clear them away.

Centipedes
Centipedes are generally considered to be more of a nuisance than a nasty, unless you have an allergy to their venom. They can give a sting, unpleasant but not dangerous, however all centipedes should be considered hazardous just in case you are one of the unfortunates who have the allergy.

Mosquitoes
Europe was rife with malaria until the middle of the 20th century but Spain made great efforts to clear its wetlands where the problem was endemic and in 1964 malaria was declared to be eradicated from the country.

However, mosquito bites aren’t just a painful nuisance, they can pass on serious diseases such as yellow fever, encephalitis and malaria to both humans and animals.

Additionally, this year, a strain of mosquito has brought West Nile virus into the Barcelona area and it is predicted to spread across the whole Mediterranean coastline. See iberianature.com

The areas most at risk are those that retain weed infested pools of stagnant water. These conditions encourage breeding and it is the bite of the female that is dangerous and can transmit disease. Town centres and well managed areas such as Gandia are fairly free but if you live near any area with stagnant ponds, take special precautions. Complain to the local Ayuntamiento (town hall).

Prevention: I read many suggestions, for example, take more vitamin B1, but another source advises more Vitamin B6. There are many repellents sold which state that they offer protection for a number of hours after application.
Caution: unless otherwise directed -
DO NOT spray in enclosed areas or apply repellent over cuts, wounds or irritated skin.
DO NOT apply to eyes and mouth and do not apply to the hands of young children.

I have no medical experience, so if you live in a mosquito infected area, ask your doctor or Farmacia (chemist) for advice. There are also many electrically activated repellents on sale. For young children the use of an anti mosquito net over the bed at night is still very effective.

Treatment: Application of a camomile lotion can help alleviate itchiness. As ever, if an extreme reaction occurs, seek medical advice.

Praying Mantis on the Serella ridges
They do not bite humans, or spread disease. However, when handled, their spiny-like forelegs can be readily felt as a "sharp pinch." Mantids are most commonly seen in late September and early October.

Sand Flies (Leishmaniasis)
Your Pet Dog needs protection, otherwise it can be in serious danger

Dogs that regularly travel abroad may be exposed to Leishmaniasis (also known as Kala-Azar) which is carried from dog-to-dog by a bite from a Sand Fly.

The name 'Sand Fly' is misleading as the Sand Fly's natural habitat is in wooded and garden areas.

Dogs can be bitten up to 100 times an hour during the sand fly season which begins in May and ends in October. August is the worst month. The flies are mainly active between dusk and dawn. Early morning, 2 to 4am, is the worst period. They are not high flyers so your dog is better off in an upper room or flat at night. Fitting a preventative collar will protect your pet from approximately 95% of sand flies bites for the whole season. Dogs left out in the garden as security guards are particularly at risk.

It is thought that there may be very rare suspected cases of the disease being passed to humans; this is currently being research by the World Health Authority.

Prevention: The best preventative treatment up to now is , "INTERVET" invented a year ago and based on mosquito repellents It is impregnated into a very effective collar called "SCALIBOR"

Please note, this collar lasts for one season only and needs replacing each May. Do not let children play with the collar, we have also found the smell somewhat unpleasant.

See your Vet about a collar before you travel to Spain. Mosquito repellents, sprays and some mosquito nets etc help to keep them out of the house. These flies are very tiny.

Things that the owner can do to prevent are:

Keep the dog inside the house when the sun starts to set, and keep toilet breaks short before bedtime.
Don't give night walks where water runs
Use of mosquito nets to keep flies out of the house.
There have been very few cases of Leishmaniasis "Kala-Azar" in Spain. When they occur they can be fatal if not treated.

Scorpions
Scorpions are found mainly in the dry country areas and on open foreshores. I would suggest that when camping in these areas, you check your footwear each morning before inserting your foot. I found it paid off many years ago when I was stationed in Africa.

The Mediterranean Scorpion (Buthus Occitanus - Escorpión Amarillo) is not as dangerous as the North African type but the sting is extremely painful.
As they are quite numerous, wearing boots covering the ankles is a good idea in dry rocky areas.

The European Black Scorpion is present in the northern regions of Spain. This scorpion's sting is unpleasant but soon wears off.

Spiders
Spiders are in the undergrowth but mainly harmless except for a funnel web spider which I have been told is not found in coastal areas.

Funnel web spiders (Hexathelidae) I can find little data stating in which province they are to be found but I am told they are not of the very venomous type indigenous to Sydney, Australia.

Tarantulas are very common in the western portion of Toledo province but fortunately the venom is weak and supposedly has little effect on humans.

Black Widow Spider (Latrodectus Tredecimguttatus) is the most widely distributed species in Europe and is the most dangerous spider in Spain giving a nasty bite but not fatal. Whilst they are rare, it is said to be commonest in the arid parts of Almeria and Aragon and also in the Valencia and Andalucian regions.

Brown Recluse Spiders (Loxosceles Reclusa) are found in parts of Spain but are less virulent than in other parts of the world and is not lethal. Bites from this spider cause a tender blister to develop, characteristically with a “bull’s eye” appearance (a red centre). At the time a person is bitten, it is often hardly noticeable and it can be several hours before the venom to takes effect. Then, it is very painful.

If you are bitten: Always try to kill the spider and keep the body. This helps the doctor to identify which spider anti venom is needed for treatment.

Treatment: Do not ignore bites. Always get medical attention as early as possible.

Stinging Ants (Myrmica rubra laevinoides - hormiga roja chica)
This is, I believe, the only species of poisonous ant but whilst its bite is unpleasant it is said to be not serious.

Tapeworms
Tapeworms can affect humans, particularly children crawling on the ground in gardens and parks where dogs are allowed to roam. Always use a Poopy Scoop and dispose of your animal’s rubbish safely. Again, ensure your animal has regular worming treatment.

Ticks
As in most hot countries, Ticks are prevalent in Spain and they can transmit nasty diseases to your pet such as canine Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis. They can cause dogs and cats incurable damage which incurs lifelong administration of drugs. There is as yet no known cure. If you find one on your pet, it is suggested that the tick should be doused with alcohol or spirit. This makes the tick contract and allows you to pull it out whole. Leaving a portion of the tick inside the dog/cat is likely to cause an abscess.

Prevention and Treatment: Various forms of prevention are available.
Caution: if you live in an area where your animal needs to wear a special collar against Sand fly, I am advised that this will not also protect against Ticks and wearing Anti Tick and Sand Fly collars together is detrimental to the dog’s health.
In areas where Sand Fly is a problem, protect your animal against ticks with anti tick drops which do not react against the chemicals in the collar. These drops are easily placed around the pet’s neck.

If ignored, in exceptional cases, tick fever can be fatal to the animal.
It is most important that you are advised by a qualified vet.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:42 am

Thankyou doctor - and no need to drop my kegs and cough!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:06 am

All sounds very scary but we have hardly seen any creepy crawlies and we live close to the Tabernas desert :shock:
Chris

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:05 pm

Thank you, Swerve. My wife really wanted to know about all of those! :lol: :lol: :roll:
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

bailey
Tourist

Postby bailey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:02 pm

now I'm scared!

Mostly for my two dogs, and my partner wants me to stop reading this sought of thing before i change my mind about going.

:lol: :shock:
A Bit scared, however, I'm hopeful!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

All the creepy crawlies you could ask for

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:02 am

Anyone know what the horrible thing is that looks like a small langoustine? It has whiskery bits sticking out in front, and is about 25mm from tip to tail.
I would have taken a photo of it, but the OH said that if it got away while I was &*!@ing fetching the &*^!@ing camera, she would &**@@!ing kill me!
When I whacked it with the fly swat, what was left would not photograph well!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Don

Postby Don » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:44 am

Good post swerve re Andalucia and now I am interested in any latest info. A while back I was again in urgencias after going from nothing to knee pain in 3 hours and then when waiting in urgencias I passed out with a core temp of 40 C after what I am convinced was another spider bite. In the vague recollection of "what the ell is going on" they asked if I had trees in the garden in relation to spiders - yes a few hundred trees and christ knows how many spiders - and doc said from 40 you are dead by 42 - gee thanks doc, that is good to hear. After the first time I knew I needed antibiotics and fought (verbally in my pigeon spanish) with the urgencias doc to get some. Are we seeing any change these days or still the same?

Busymum
Resident

Re: All the creepy crawlies you could ask for

Postby Busymum » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:25 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Anyone know what the horrible thing is that looks like a small langoustine?
Oh yes! I'd like to know too! We have had a few of them and they are GROSS! :shock: They take a bit of bashing with a swatter don't they to have any damaging effect! Infact Busyboy took to using the downstairs loo as the "flying prawn bunker" to hide until the said 'animal' has been dispensed with! :D

Busymum

sacromonte
Tourist

Treatment for Stings

Postby sacromonte » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 am

Wasp, Bee and jellyfish stings - Vinegar - white vinegar if poss, but any sort of vinegar will do. Obviously if you are allergic, straight to hospital.

sacromonte
Tourist

scorpions

Postby sacromonte » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 am

Watch out for scorpions and if you leave your washing on line overnight, double check when bringing it in. Was making the beds and a brown scorpion landed at my feet. Husband also got stung on the lawn. They usually live in stone walls and come out at night I believe.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Re: scorpions

Postby redsoxbrit » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm

sacromonte wrote: Husband also got stung on the lawn
Painful! :shock:

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:22 pm

We have spiders that are quite large, black with a white mark on its back, and it carries loads of baby spiders on its back, what is it, does anyone know.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Treatment for Stings

Postby ron » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:41 pm

sacromonte wrote:Wasp, Bee and jellyfish stings - Vinegar - white vinegar if poss, but any sort of vinegar will do. Obviously if you are allergic, straight to hospital.
DON'T put vinegar on a bee sting. A bee sting is acidic and putting vinegar on will make it worse.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 pm

Scarlet..
In answer to your question.....it's a Mummy Spider.... :wink:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 pm

My Spanish neighbour had been out hunting for wild asparagus and managed to pick up a tick in her armpit :shock: She came to me to pull it out - very hard when she had very hairy armpits :shock: I took her to the Dr who told her to use alcohol next time- she didn´t say how much she had to drink though to make the tick fall off :lol:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 am

can i add weever fish to the list for all you would be fishermen,i got stung last year 3 hours of bad pain,the only help is put the stung part in the hottest water it can stand.
they look like a light coloured mackeral,about the same size but have spikes that come up on the top and bottom,handle with care,generally caught when your fishing on the bottom not far from shore
sometimes thats all i catch,they taste nicer after i got stung
last person died in 1927 if you google it
frog
jayne countys most famous song,google it

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks mate it sounds like a nasty little blighter here is what I've found on it and its found off the English coast aswell.

Beware of the Weever fish!
by Andy Horton

Beware of a little sandy coloured fish that lives in the English Channel. It spends most of the time actually buried under the sea bed with just its venomous dorsal fin showing above the sandy bottom. On the rare occasions when it is plentiful, rows of erect black triangles decorate the sandy floor of the sea bed.

Woe betide a bather who steps upon a buried fish. The pain is usually described as excruciating as the spines embed into the human flesh and discharge their venom. The pain is at its most intense for the first two hours when the foot goes red and swells up and is then it feels numb until the following day with irritation and pain that may last for up to two weeks. Sometimes, the spine breaks off in the foot and it will cause discomfort until it is removed.

The venom is a type of protein and is heat labile. This means that the only treatment is to put the effected limb in water as hot as the victim can stand without causing scalding. (In tests, the protein denatured above 40°C.) This is meant to bring about rapid and permanent relief, but I have fortunately not needed to put this treatment to the test. Most reports of stings occur during the month of August. This does not mean that this fish are particularly prevalent inshore during this month but merely reflects the greater numbers of bathers as the sea temperature reaches the highest of the year. The fish is also encountered by shrimpers pushing their net along the sandy shallows in the first half of the year. The front beam of the net dislodges the fish that may be completely buried under the sand. They are also caught by anglers. Many of these rod and line fishermen do not know what they have caught and may be in for an unpleasant surprise. The only death I have on record after someone being stung by a Weever occurred as long ago as 1927, (this could be 1933, the original file has been mislaid) when an angler suffered multiple stings whilst fishing off Dungeness. (As this is the only death recorded, the suspicions are that the victim may have died of other medical causes exacerbated by the multiple stings. Another report of a death, I have been unable to confirm.)
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spiders

Postby ICCSL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 am

Part of the reason for moving to where I have is that I couldn't bear the thought of running into any more of the spiders that can be found around Huercal Overa, Puerto Lumbreras and Albox area. I went to photograph a house in Puerto Lumbreras around 12 years ago and when photographing the pool I thought that it had a really strange pattern on the bottom of it, which initially looked like large black stars. On closer inspection it was apparent that they were large spiders floating on the top, leg to leg.

If you have a phobia about spiders (as I do) you can imagine the next thought that went through my head - "if there are this many in the pool, how many are around it?" I went to the owner and told him that I could not come back again with or without clients. At the same time I realised that I had left a window of the car open and had to inspect it thoroughly before I could get in.

These particular spiders look like tarantulas with the only difference being that they are browny black colour. They also give a nasty bite. I used to have a friend that used to bring her washing to my house every week whilst she was renovating her farmhouse near Huercal Overa. One night I saw something run across the floor and I thought is was a mouse. The cat caught it and my dog stole it from the cat. I thought "the dog is eating a mouse!!!!!!" When I went to take it from him I realised that it was one of these spiders which I can only assume came up with my friend's washing. In the morning my dog's face was badly swollen. I have lived higher up in the mountains for over eight years now and I have never seen spiders like this, I think maybe it is just too cold in the winter for them to survive here.

If you have a phobia with spiders chose your area well.
Tina

wibbsy

Re: All the creppie crawlies you could ask for

Postby wibbsy » Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Can anyone identify this for me:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ped0g9sblbu0e ... -05-30.jpg

It was about 1.5inch long? Thought maybe a black wasp but the orange on the legs seems out of place with all the pics on Google?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: All the creppie crawlies you could ask for

Postby Enrique » Sat May 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi,
Have a look at......... parasitoids fly images, there is one like yours down the left hand side 23 rows down.

Would lay their eggs into a host.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.